whats the differences between the 20GB and 60GB PS3?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mac000, Oct 29, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

besides the fact the harddrive is different, what is the difference between the two models?

i know Sony know included HDMI output on the 20GB, so is the only difference the harddrive and the memory card reader?

2. macrumors 68000

I think it comes with a wired instead of wireless controller, and I think there was summat about WiFi at one point. The 20GB is probably almost entirely reserved for updates and caching, leaving about 40GB spare on the 60GB model

3. macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Both versions of the system have wireless controllers. The difference is essentially that the 60 gb version has more space, has built in wifi, and looks cosmetically different (It has a metallic silver stripe on the front and looks much prettier). They are more similar than when first announced due to the addition of hdmi to the 20 gb.

4. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Doesnt the 60gb also have a mem card reader or did that get pulled from both models?

But yeah essentially hard drive space and a chrome lip & wifi is the only difference.

5. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yes the 60gig version still includes the mem reader.

60Gig>>>Built in Wifi, crome finish, mem reader.

Bless

6. macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

i think the 60gb is a waste of money personally, I already havea wired setup for internet so i don't need the wifi and the chrome trim is ugly to me. Plus, a memory card reader...big deal I havea USB one for the odd times i will need it. And for the 110 bucks I save by buying the 20gb version I can almost buy a 100gb Hdd to replace the internal one, or buy a 250gb external one thus making the 60gb laughable.

BUT, there are some rumors that the PSP-PS3 connection won't work unless you have the 60gb version due to the wifi thing and even if you purchase a 3rd party external wifi it still won't work. That would make me very angry.

But if i can get a 20gb I will, if not I will get the 60gb. Whatever I can find.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

is that true? is there anything else?

8. macrumors 65816

monke

Difference between the 20 GB and the 60 GB, about 40 GB. :D :p ;)

9. macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

10. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

WiFi-to-Ethernet bridges aren't cheap and I doubt it has support for any of the USB WiFi's. Those of us that need WiFi will want the 60 GB model.

11. macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Sony has said somewhere along the line that everything is upgradable EXCEPT the HDMI (no longer an issue), so why wouldn't they allow USB WiFi? But yeah for some people it will be handy to have it built it, but as I said for me it's not worth the money as I already have a wired connection set up.

12. macrumors 6502

mattniles007

I think its worth the extra 100 for 40gb and wifi.

13. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Because, obviously, they'd have to support drivers for every USB WiFi connector on the market.

They will probably sell a PS3-specific WiFi connector, just like Microsoft is selling an XBox 360-specific WiFi adapter for $99. But it'll cost way more than the $35 ones you can buy today.

14. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly, although with linux suport - wouldnt more dongle drivers be supported (though maybe only whilst its booted in linux)..

I will buy the premium as I was one of those people who bought the wifi dongle for my 360 and it's great.

15. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Probably only while booted in Linux.

16. macrumors 68020

bobber205

One is crap and the other is ...

crap. Whoops. That's the same. ;)

17. macrumors regular

this is a similar thing to the 360s. I originally bought a core. BUT it broke and they sent me a Premium console with the metalic door for the replacement and i just got a hard drive and i "returned" my wired controller to wal-mart after buying the system at ebgames. Seems like sony is going for a similar difference between the consoles.

18. macrumors 65816

Josh396

Now, now... play nice.;)

19. macrumors newbie

usb wifi

will usb wireless adapters work with the 20gb model? or will sony offer a service to send in your ps3 20gb and have wifi added on for a fee?

20. macrumors 68020

e²Studios

One is very overpriced, the other is ridiculously overpriced.