"What's The Download" Music Industry Launch's Site

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Earendil, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

The music industry (record company? I dunno) Launched a site recently. I only heard about it during the Grammies last night, hope this isn't old news :)

The site contains a bunch of info on illiegal downloading, and alternative ways to get music (including the featured site, iTunes! woot!)

What do you guys think?

http://whatsthedownload.com

Tyler
    Earendil

2. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Hmmm... when I go to the site, it's Napster that is featured on the front page.

I did find iTMS in the list of featured sites though. It's in first place but only because it's in alphabetical order.

Not the best exposure but, hey!, maybe they'll rotate those featured sites logo on the front page.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

my god, what an attempt to be "cool". They go from suing people, to a site including the words "hit us up", "legal stuff", "file-swapping"... they need a better PR firm.

i'm not loving the fact that napster is their initial "site of the month", as iTunes is the one that started the craze, and by which the other services are gauged...

paul

4. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

Interesting note about the results of their "poll" -- all of those things that look like bars don't actually show the results of the poll. In a poll with 60% to 20% results, it's kind of weird that all the bars are the same length.

Attached Files:

5. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

read Moby's quote on the site... i'm not sure if he's FOR filesharing or against it! i'm surprised they put it up there.

6. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

A lot of the artist quotes they have are impressive. They shows real level-headed thinking and not just a knee-jerk "file sharing is the devil" reaction. I think this site is a better public presentation than most of what we get from the recording industry... now if only the RIAA would learn a lesson or two from the Recording Academy.

7. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Sounds like a true artist,

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

Wow, that's actually a fairly reasonable, interesting site. The poll graphic is downright insulting (I hope it's a bug, not an intentional distortion of the facts), and it has a clear bent toward legal downloading (not exactly an unreasonable stance, though doing it through talking about lawsuits is a nasty tactic) but the musician quotes are by and large forward thinking and meaningful.

Since I think the whole iTMS-inspired internet music scene has the potential to destablize and reorganize the top-heavy music industry (since when should an art form have its own industry?), I consider anything promoting legal downloading potentially subversive to the RIAA, and therefore good.

Here was another good one:

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

It's a Safari bug:

Attached Files: