Whats the First Car you had?

Discussion in 'Community' started by runninmac, Jul 9, 2005.

1. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Well I am about to turn 16 (yes one of the younger people on here) and about to get my drivers license and car, both hopefully tomorrow :D. So I was wondering what car was your first one and what age did u get it? Were you happy with it?

2. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

SAAB 900 Turbo. Sounds nice. Wasnt. Total piece of junk, but its a first car, so you cant expect too much.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my first car was a total beater, it was my older sister's beater before i got it....
    88 Toyota Celica... had duct Tape all over it, some to hold the antenna up, some to hold the bumper on, some to hold the right turning signal from falling..... yeah i hated it, got rid of that in a year, but hey it ran nice but the cosmetic problems were just too much

4. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I turned 16 a week ago and I'm getting my car tomorrow. I found this awesome deal.. it was an older lady's car that she gave to her son and he just didn't need it so he tuned it up and is selling it to me. It's a 1993 Hyundai Elantra for $800. The best part is it only has 80k miles. I was expecting to pay $1500 for a car with 120k+ miles. I, of course, don't have the money yet but my parents found it a great deal and were willing to let me borrow the money.

5. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I had a 15 year old GMC Jimmy... it was a decent car but very slow.

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Technically it isn't mine yet, but I know that my first car will be a 2002 black Chevy Silverado...

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

my first car/current car most teen drivers don't have, obviously my parents helped me out a lot. I was 18 when i got it :eek:

8. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Dude, I just checked your profile hoping to find what car you had, and we have the same birthday. I turned 18 today. I still don't have a car though. What do you have?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO US - eventhough it is sunday morning

9. noel4r macrumors 6502a

An 82 VW Scirocco, it looked cool but the engine was a piece of ****.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Got a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am when I was 17. Wrecked it in less than 2 months and got a new car, 2004 Hyundai Tiburon.

11. Zachariah macrumors member

I got a 1969 Volkswagon bug for my 16th birtday.

12. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

1985 Pontiac Grand-AM LE. Nice powerful sporty car, but the 3rd party sunroof leak so the car during the last 2 years of it's life, was completely soaked inside. Had to use a squeegee to clear the water droplets that formed inside of the windshield during the summer months. The car never completely dried out.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My first was a '74 Dodge Colt 2 door (red with a white top) that my parents help me buy in '76.

14. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

My first car that was techniqally mine was a 1990 Toyota Camry. It was one of my parents cars but after my mother was diagnosed w/cancer and from there on she was not allowed to drive. So, I got the Camry as I could not at the time drive a stick. I was just 19 years old.

Was I happy with it? :D
    I could remove the key from the ignition with the car still running :D Also, the car was stolen/taken for a joyride one late evening in Seattle while I was at a concert :( :eek: :D

15. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

2000 Toyota Corolla, awesome car. It was my first car when I was 16 and I'm still driving it today. (I'm almost 20) Only time it ever scratched was when my mom tripped and fell and there was a big dent in the front by the tire :eek: So I've caused no damage to it :D

16. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Happy late birthday!! I turned 20. I have an '04 lexus es 330. :eek:

17. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

A 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra, which was given to me. It was dead by 68,000 miles and my first bad experience with domestic cars. So I bought a 1970 Volkswagen Bus for $100 and restored it. I sold it for 25 times what I paid for it when I left Hawaii. In a way, I consider the Volkswagen to have been my first car, I miss that old thing.

18. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I still haven't owned a first car despite having my license for over 10 years.

At University (where I passed my test) I lived on campus so there was no need. And my first two jobs were in cities where I lived in the city centre so parking costs would have crippled me.

I've had a flat with a parking space for the past 6 years now but every time I consider getting a car, I come to the conclusion that it wouldn't be worth it for the few times a month I'd use it since I couldn't take it to work. I'm cheaper getting 15 taxis a month from the middle of London than owning a car!

19. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I'm 23 and haven't had a car yet. Heck, I don't even have license yet. Some whould say I'm five years overdue, but I usually get where I need with public transportation or with my bike.

That said, I'm starting to consider getting a license/car, since It'd make getting a job a little bit easier.

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

It was a white version of this:[​IMG], yup, 1988 Volvo sedan. Lovely tank. I sorta miss it. But I love my current car. :p

21. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

1966 Lincoln Continental Sedan.

A 5,085-lb. black behemoth with suicide doors. It wasn't mint, but it had a leather interior, power everything and cruise control (that's right, 1966 cruise control!).

Downside? The Ford 400 engine was some kind of Rube Goldberg machine that always had something wrong with it -- alternator, transmission (not tech'ly the engine, but drive train), etc. Also, the center link was original and heavily worn, meaning that the already gummy steering was now so loose as to be a near hazard.

I loved sliding around in that thing at 12 mpg. :D

Found this for your viewing pleasure (mine was not nearly as nice):

Attached Files:

22. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Ah, the old FORD - Fix Or Repair Daily syndrome... ;)

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

1963 Vauxhall Victor Station Wagon, £75.

Attached Files:

24. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

a '78 chevy nova, brown. ugly as hell. But the thing was built like a tank, which is why my parents got it... I bitched for months, then I crashed into a bridge-- and the guard rails were all bent up, but the car was scratchless. So, while my friends got nicer cars, they were pretty messed up by graduation... when my parents surprised me with a '95 Lumina. That car saw a hell of a lot, I junked it just last month.

25. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam