Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
So Cal
I have no ideal if this is a new iP5 thing or if it's been around on other versions? Since this is my first upgrade sine I bought the 1st Gen i:apple:, it is new to me... and I found it by accident...! What is it called and can you customize it?

486304_4905660565554_1249986823_n.jpg

For those of you who have not discovered it, it pulls down as a curtain in front of your home screen. Just drag your finger from the top straight down.

Any other cool, hidden things I may have missed?

Last edited by a moderator:

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Did you read my post? I am coming from a 1st gen iphone, so it is new to me! I just want to know what it's called?

But you've been a member for 2 years. Do you not have any friends that have a newer iPhone? Have you not seen discussions on here about the notification center? Maybe you're not that observant.

Not trying to be rude but I also chuckled a bit when you said that the notification center was a surprise for you.

Either way, congrats on the new 5, must be TONS better than your previous 1st gen iPhone.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
You mean to tell me there's actually people out there that don't keep with every thing apple does all the time 24/7? Mind = blown.

People that join iPhone forums seem like people that would keep up to date.

People that don't join forums to discuss a mobile phone with strangers PROBABLY don't know as much about the iPhone (average consumer).

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
...can you customize it?

You can remove the stock and weather widgets. That's about the limit of the customization for widgets. Some apps can also display notifications in this area and you can customize which ones can and can't.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
I have no ideal if this is a new iP5 thing or if it's been around on other versions? Since this is my first upgrade sine I bought the 1st Gen i:apple:, it is new to me... and I found it by accident...! What is it called and can you customize it?

For those of you who have not discovered it, it pulls down as a curtain in front of your home screen. Just drag your finger from the top straight down.

I accidentally found this on my iP5. I showed my wife and she laughed. She had been trying to get me to upgrade my iP2G for sometime, now.

Enjoy your new iP5. It's a whole new experience.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

It's called notification center and is minimally customizable through the settings menu.

BTW, cool blog you have there.

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
So Cal
You mean to tell me there's actually people out there that don't keep with every thing apple does all the time 24/7? Mind = blown.

I am pretty sure they are out there... in this case Apple stopped creating software updates for the original iphone... so it was not by choice. I was pretty much forced to upgrade... not sorry about it. I love my new phone but there is a lot to learn.

Thanks every else for your comments and glad you like my blog Blorzoga.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
If you go to SETTINGS and then NOTIFICATIONS, you will see which apps are and aren't in the Notification Center. You can select the ones you want and also adjust how many notifications you want for each app to be displayed in the Notifcation Center.

Another cool little feature you may not know about (and that I love to use all the time) is the sharing feature in Safari. If you're on a website and want to share the site with others, it has become even easier than it was before. You can post it on Facebook, tweet it, send it in a text message, email it, or just copy the URL to the clipboard (you can also share your pictures the same way).

Attachments

• Photo Oct 29, 9 11 30 PM.png
    Photo Oct 29, 9 11 30 PM.png
    764.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Photo Oct 29, 9 16 00 PM.png
    Photo Oct 29, 9 16 00 PM.png
    622 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Thanks, I knew about that for photos but not for Safari. Good to know!

There have been a ton of features added since your last OS update, I would suggest checking out the manual or some online resources besides here, you'll be able to be brought up to speed a lot quicker. I'm not being snarky, it's just going to be easier for you to go at your pace looking at the new things you can do.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

WoW... The fact that you found something that really wasn't "hidden" isn't the issue. The fact that you may have thought you were the only one to ever see it so you came and made a thread about it is, well, wow.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
WoW... The fact that you found something that really wasn't "hidden" isn't the issue. The fact that you may have thought you were the only one to ever see it so you came and made a thread about it is, well, wow.

My mom had the 3GS for a year and now has had the 4S for a few months and I can assure you she has NO IDEA what the Notification Center is, and if she's ever accidentally accessed it, I'm sure she just closed it and convinced herself it never happened.

Believe it or not, there are many people out there who don't keep up with all things Apple and are aren't in a rush to upgrade to the latest device or newest version of iOS, and simply enjoy what they have till it can go no longer. (I wish I were one of those people!) And the fact that she was thoughtful enough to make a thread and look out for others who are in the same boat (and, believe me, there ARE many more), is actually pretty awesome.

Just because the majority of people won't learn anything new from this thread doesn't mean there aren't a few others that will.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
My mom had the 3GS for a year and now has had the 4S for a few months and I can assure you she has NO IDEA what the Notification Center is, and if she's ever accidentally accessed it, I'm sure she just closed it and convinced herself it never happened.

Believe it or not, there are many people out there who don't keep up with all things Apple and are aren't in a rush to upgrade to the latest device or newest version of iOS, and simply enjoy what they have till it can go no longer. (I wish I were one of those people!) And the fact that she was thoughtful enough to make a thread and look out for others who are in the same boat (and, believe me, there ARE many more), is actually pretty awesome.

Just because the majority of people won't learn anything new from this thread doesn't mean there aren't a few others that will.

Well said! And I think it's nice when people learn new things. I remember learning about the notification centre. She's obviously stoked and having fun with her new phone. Why the negativity?? I'm happy that fellow iLovers are sharing.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL

EMAIL: With iOS 5 we were given the ability to make text bold, italicized, and/or underlined simply by highlighting it. In iOS 6, you can now insert pictures by 'pressing and holding down' within the body of the email and then selecting "Insert Photo or Video".

In the locked screen you will see missed texts, Facebook notifications, Tweets, emails, missed calls, etc. Swipe its corresponding app icon, and your iPhone opens up directly into that activity. If it's a missed call, the swipe will automatically dial out that number for you.

Attachments

• Photo Oct 29, 11 22 31 PM.png
    Photo Oct 29, 11 22 31 PM.png
    144.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Photo Oct 29, 11 22 38 PM.png
    Photo Oct 29, 11 22 38 PM.png
    148.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Photo Oct 29, 11 33 14 PM.png
    Photo Oct 29, 11 33 14 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

My mom is about as tech stupid as they come and SHE even knows about it. You guys are acting like the simple act of reading (when you update it tells you changes made) is some kind of magical thing. IF you bought the phone new and had never used it wouldn't you want to learn how to use the device and what that device has to offer? I guess I'm putting a bit to much into people's ability to actually participate in their own lives. Why buy a smart phone if you're not going to actually use it? Status symbol? Keeping up with the Joneses?

You are right though, I've changed my opinion of his thread and now agree with you that it IS an informative thread. Just a shame that people are so oblivious of the world in which they choose to immerse themselves in. I know people have different priorities but come on, how long does it take to learn about your new iPhone, the new TV you just picked up, your new car you just bought ect ect?

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Going to go ahead and say that if the original poster was a male, he would be torn apart and made fun of, but because it's a woman, everyone jumps to her rescue.

Let me clear up that I am in NO WAY making fun of her for thinking this was breaking news. Just saying...

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
My mom is about as tech stupid as they come and SHE even knows about it. You guys are acting like the simple act of reading (when you update it tells you changes made) is some kind of magical thing. IF you bought the phone new and had never used it wouldn't you want to learn how to use the device and what that device has to offer? I guess I'm putting a bit to much into people's ability to actually participate in their own lives. Why buy a smart phone if you're not going to actually use it? Status symbol? Keeping up with the Joneses?

You are right though, I've changed my opinion of his thread and now agree with you that it IS an informative thread. Just a shame that people are so oblivious of the world in which they choose to immerse themselves in. I know people have different priorities but come on, how long does it take to learn about your new iPhone, the new TV you just picked up, your new car you just bought ect ect?

Keep in mind that the OP just now got her iPhone 5. The first-generation iPhone she's had all these years didn't have Notification Center because it wasn't supported so, in reality, it hasn't taken her all that long to find out about it.

It's one of those things in life we have to learn to accept: not all of us think or prioritize the same way. For example, I've had a Mac for a little over three years and a couple of weeks ago I came on here and dug up an old thread on how to resize images. I never knew you could perform such a basic task from the Preview app only because I had never had the need to resize an image before. It never dawned on me that that was something I didn't know how to perform on a Mac until that moment.

And this applies to a lot of other things outside the tech world. There's this girl that lives across the street from me and she moved here (Orlando FL) six years ago, to work in upper management at a timeshare resort, and I recently found out she has NEVER been to Disney World, which is all of three miles from our neighborhood!! I was in pure shock. When I asked her why she's never been, she said she just isn't all that crazy about Disney stuff, nor a fan of thrill rides. She chose to move down here, to immerse herself in the tourism industry (Disney being its epicenter), and even though she can WALK to Disney World from her house, she's never been!

Goes to show that this type of thing isn't all that uncommon.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.