Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hey to all`~:)

I am looking to install a new internal drive or drives into my trusty Cual 1 giger Powermac, need Mucho space for video, etc.

I have seen the Terabyte External lacie and it makes me want to pee!
I think thats good.

The question is " Why have I seen no internals, and what the largest internal sizes out there?

I have done the Macmall research and it all seems too small!
I want a TERABYTE!

One honking massive TERABYTE of HD maddness!
GImme one now!

Onyone know or heard some news on this?

Thanks for the help all~ :D

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Currently the largest available is a 400GB IDE hard drive.

Give me a few minutes and I'll find it for you on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-145-074&depa=0
The largest single hard drive is made by Hitachi. 7,200 RPM, 8MB cache, ATA100.

The number of internal hard drives possible is limited by how many free HD slots you have open, and by the number of IDE channels you have. (neither of these I know unfortunately) But you could always try to daisy chain several together through FireWire.

I'd be hesitant to buy that drive, because you are spend more than $1 per gigabyte, usually, you can get $0.50 per gigabyte. And I'd also be hesitant because that thing has 5 platters (I believe) and that is a silicone for one motor to move at 7,200 RPM, and the fact that if you loose on platter, you loose them all.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
you can fit 1.6 terabytes in your dual 1GHz power mac.

get four 400GB SATA drives, two Firmtek SATA PCI cards, and while you're at it get a small firewire external drive (maybe 80-120GB).

use the external for your system / apps / boot drive, and RAID the SATA internal drives, striped as one huge volume.

another approach is to install one of those 10k rpm 74GB drives internally, leaving you with three HD slots for 1.2 TB of RAID 0.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
I don't think they have a single 1TB internal disk, so you will have to RAID it. Then I think getting an external drive would suit just fine. May I ask what you would need 1TB of internal storage for?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
The way that LaCie drive works is there are actually 4 hard drives in there, 250GB each. They use firmware to RAID themselves together, and to appear as one large drive. Just stick with a lot of 250GB drives...they are more reliable...and if you get a SATA card and SATA drives, they will be faster. Much faster than an external or your current internal.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
mms said:
I don't think they have a single 1TB internal disk, so you will have to RAID it. Then I think getting an external drive would suit just fine. May I ask what you would need 1TB of internal storage for?

the original poster answered your question in the original post...

it's for video.

for example.. these days I'm creating in high definition, and HD uncompressed takes about 320 GB / hour. I'm making 7 hours of programming total for one client at the moment.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Correct it is for video and that takes alot of HD space!

Especially if you are doing multiple projects.
I need all that I can get.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

I do really appreciate it! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.