Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Installed Tiger on my iMac G3 and the first time I ran iTunes it said there was an u/g to 10.6.1 available. Not convinced 10 will run on a G3 I checked the iTunes page on apple.com and, sure enough, 10.6.1 is for Intel, G4, & G5. There's a link for G3 Mac Users which says 8.2.1 is for G3s so I d/l and installed that.

When I run this it still says 10.6.1 is available and do I want to d/l it. Will this actually run on a G3 or is the upgrade checker broken?

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
9.2.1 is the latest version of iTunes that will run on Tiger, & therefore your iMac.

10.6 requires 10.5.8

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
I thought iTunes always looked for available updates no matter what if it isn't specifically turned off in preferences (Edit -> Preferences -> Check for iTunes updates automatically). Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I've got my iTunes-versions to stop nagging me in older systems.

parish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
9.2.1 is the latest version of iTunes that will run on Tiger, & therefore your iMac.

I take it that's a typo - should be 8 not 9?

10.6 requires 10.5.8

That's what the iTunes website says, hence my confusion that iTunes keeps offering the update - I thought it would be smart enough to only offer updates that are applicable to your hardware and OS version

----------

I thought iTunes always looked for available updates no matter what if it isn't specifically turned off in preferences (Edit -> Preferences -> Check for iTunes updates automatically). Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I've got my iTunes-versions to stop nagging me in older systems.

Yes, you can turn it off and I will do

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
While the iTunes page says the latest for G3's is 8.2.1, 9.2.1 runs just fine if you can get past the installer screen. Only a few things like iTunes Extras don't work. But the majority of it works just fine on any speed G3 as long as it's running Tiger.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
While the iTunes page says the latest for G3's is 8.2.1, 9.2.1 runs just fine if you can get past the installer screen. Only a few things like iTunes Extras don't work. But the majority of it works just fine on any speed G3 as long as it's running Tiger.

Also to install it use pacifist.

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny

I used to use iTunes 9.2.1 on my G3 B&W tower and it worked fine. i installed iTunes 9.2.1 on my iMac G3 and when i clicked the iTunes icon on the dock it said something like "iTunes 9 Needs a PowerPc G4 Or G5 CPU To Run" it is very hard to get iTunes 9 uninstalled(Had to use cleanmymac) you can not just go back to iTunes 8:)

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
i installed iTunes 9.2.1 on my iMac G3 and when i clicked the iTunes icon on the dock it said something like "iTunes 9 Needs a PowerPc G4 Or G5 CPU To Run"
I've seen this message with iTunes 9.2.1 as well, didn't work when I last tried to run it on a G3 - 9.1 works fine if you download that and install it though. You won't see it in Software Update as it won't try to push it to a G3, but if you download and install it manually it should be fine, there aren't even any checks in the installer so no need to use Pacifist to install it.

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny
I've seen this message with iTunes 9.2.1 as well, didn't work when I last tried to run it on a G3 - 9.1 works fine if you download that and install it though.

It may have been iTunes 9.1 that worked on my G3 Tower and not 9.2.1 i don't know anymore? the HD went on it a year a go so we will never know:(. All i know is iTunes 9.2.1 Does not Work on a iMac G3:)

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Could you please tell me how to use Pacifist to install it? I have tried but it's rather confusing!

Thank you :)

First right click on the iTunes.dmg and open it with Pacifist
Step%20one.png

you should get this:
Step%20two.png

Click on "Contents of iTunes.mpkg" and click install on the top.
Then check "Use Administrator Privileges" and click on install.
Step%20three.png

This window will pop up twice just select replace and check "Dont ask again...."
Step%20four.png

When its finished you can launch iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.