What's the likleliness of Nintendo releasing an attachment say in the future? (Wii)

Discussion in 'Games' started by mac000, Oct 24, 2006.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

So I was at work today and a coworker was telling me how you can buy an attachment for the PlayStation 2 that plays PS2 games in High Definition.

So I got to thinking - what is the possiblility of Nintendo releasing an attachment for the Wii console itself? let's say between 1-2 years after Nintendo Wii's launch Nintendo releases an attachment to "up the ante" of the Wii.

Is that possible? Meaning, the Wii does have 2 USB ports, but is that in any way possible?

It would be very interesting to see if it was possible, say they had some "Wii HD Upgrade" Nintendo would release 2 years from now to attach to the Wii for a GPU/CPU/PPU upgrade.

Don't get mem wrong, I am not sure if this is at all possible but i was just curious to find out. What does everyone think?

2. theman5725 macrumors 6502

Maybe, but if they did it probably would not be until like 3-4 years.

3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Who knows, it is possible. After all the Nintendo 64 had that expansion pack thing...

4. MajereXYU macrumors regular

I don't know where that guy heard about an HD attachment but even if it exists, it is of no use.

First of all, the PS2 cannot render games in HD. Its Emotion Engine GPU crunches through the data sent to it and then feeds the video-out ports a SD signal of 640x480 interlaced resolution (also called 480i).

In some cases (you need either the slim PS2 or the last revision PS2 that was released before going slim and games have to support it) it can output a 640x480 progressive (480p) resolution.

That is NOT HD.
    It is 480p (also called progressive scan on the PS2 games' boxes)

To be able to actually display 480p, your TV has to be EITHER an EDTV or an HDTV.

EDTV is just a regular resolution TV enhanced to display 480p whereas an HDTV is a High Definition TV, capable of displaying either 720p (1280x720 progressive) or 1080i (1920x1080 interlaced).

A FULL HDTV is capable of 1080p (1920x1080 progressive).

To know the difference between interlaced and progressive, please google it, as I'm sure Wikipedia will explain it better than me.

So, with all the technicalities aside, let me explain why the attachment would be no good...

If the graphics coming out of the video-out port of the PS2 as 480i or 480p get resampled to 720p for example, the resulting graphics will look like garbage because it would just be low res graphics made to look like high res graphics. The actual image quality inherent to HD is gained by processing more pixels.

You cannot get the same result by just upsampling. If this were possible, no company would invest that much money into getting HD in their consoles. They would just release an SD console with a cheap attachment that would upconvert the graphics and be done with it.

This is rubbish.

P-S: just saw Rockthecasbah's post : The "N64 Expansion pack thing" was a RAM expansion. It brought the total system RAM to 8MB instead of the stock 4MB. That actualy helped the graphics by allowing more textures to be stored in RAM.
    When talking HD in the PS2, RAM is not the bottleneck. The GPU is. And to my knowledge, no external GPU's actually exist or work well enough to be worthwhile. (especially at the price it would have to cost to make people buy it for a 5-6 year old console on its way out).

5. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I don't know about the HD thing, but it's most likely that they'll introduce some kind of add-on, they always do, whether it comes to materialize or properly utilized is another story.

DS games on the big screen anyone? They definitely have the option because of the Wii-mote, but I hope they don't make a seperate play like the did with the GC and GBA. I mean, they had those freakin connectors but had to add on a whole player. I had all of those for Four Swords, and Crystal Chronicles, but didn't even play it that much. Too much of a hassle.

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I think I saw the "add-on" you are talking about over at Digg. Assuming it's the same one, it's a software hack (you boot the PS2 off one disc, and then swap in the game disc) that fools the system into running in it's "HD mode".

Ah yes, the PS2 does have some HD capabilities. A couple games are HD games, but they're just scaled 480i up to higher res. This hack just fools the PS2 into that scaler mode for all games. It won't really do anything to help the quality unless your TV scaler sucks.

Here's the Digg article about the product, which is NOT an official Sony "upgrade" or anything, http://digg.com/gaming_news/How_to_make_the_Playstation_2_display_1080i.

To also answer the original question, no, I don't think there will be any sort of upgrade module for the WIi to let it do HD in the future. Honestly, 480p is pretty darn decent in my book, even on my 1080i TV.

7. mlrproducts macrumors 6502

Unless it ships with the ability in phantom style (which it won't), the Wii will never have HD games. Yes, they may release hardware to UPSCALE the video to HD resolutions (unlikely), but any decent HDTV with a good upscaler would probably do a better job.

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

Actually, EDTV (or 480p, whichever you prefer) displays at a resolution of 852x480 (16:9), not 640x480 (4:3).

However there is technology using complex algorithms that will upconvert a signal (be it 480i or 480p) to an HD signal, although it's not often found in stand-alone consumer units. HDMI (or Upconverting) DVD players use this technology to take a standard DVD and output it at 720p, 1080i or even 1080p. This doesn't mean it's a true HD picture because the source is in 480p, but for most people, it's good enough. (Ask MacRumorUser, he has an upconverting DVD player).

The standalone units (I've only seen one that's consumer oriented) are expensive. The "consumer" unit is $500 and ADS Tech doesn't even make it anymore. The "pro" units are upwards of a grand ($1200 to $2000).

So I think if Nintendo were to release some product to extend the life of the Wii in the ways mentioned, it would probably be something like this. It wouldn't attach to the Wii itself, but would be positioned between the Wii and the TV via 2 sets of component cables (maybe 1 component and 1 HDMI, but probably not).