Whats the matter with my dog?????!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ErikCLDR, Feb 21, 2007.

1. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I woke up today around 11:00 (school vacation) when my mom called me to ask how my dog was doing cause she said he was acting strange and had to go out at 3am.

I called my dog and he didn't come- usually he runs right into my room and jumps on my bed. I called him a few more times and finally he slowly came. He tried to jump onto my bed but "bottomed out" and fell off. His tail has been in-between his legs all day. I asked him if he wanted to go outside- he didn't move (usually he runs to the door as fast as he can). So I asked him a few more times "do you want to go outside" and he walked over to the stairs and took two steps and stopped. He didn't want to go any futher and I almost had to carry him down the stairs. I let him out and he was out for like 1/2 and hour. I looked at the floor over by where he sleeps and there are a couple drops of what looks like watered down blood. It is also on his blanket but it looks like he dried to lick it up. Now he is inside and kinda shaking.

I can't take him to the vet- I can't drive yet and my parents are both at work kinda far away and I can't get in touch with either of them.

What do I do??????

Update: His nose is bleeding, I can't tell wether or not its a cut or not. I have never seen a dog with a bloody nose.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Do you have a friend or neighbor that can take you to the vet?

Have you told your parents how bad the dog is? I'd be pissed if neither of my parents could get off work for an emergency like that! (edit: sorry, I missed the part where you said you can't get ahold of them).

If anything, call your vet now and let them know what's going on. That way when you do find a ride, they'll be expecting you. They may even have some good advice for what to do until then (like making sure he doesn't move, etc).

3. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Try to remain calm and try and get him to drink water. Try and keep him warm and comfort him and take him to the vet as quickly as possible.

The same sort of thing happened to my dog, minus the blood, and it turned out she had taken a mild heart attack. She is OK now though. I hope everything works out, keep us updated.

Shaun

4. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

That is good advice. I will second that. For now, dont give him anything to eat.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How old is your dog and what breed, That can help in trying to figure out a cause.

6. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Call a vet book an appointment and take a Taxi there, most taxi companies are understanding.

To me it actually sounds like you dog had a stroke.

7. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

that is sad to hear. especially imagining that a dog can get a stroke and it can't even communicate it to you.

i wish i can give some advice. the only one i can give is, don't waste time. at least do something for your dog and not reading the whole thread.

the first 3 or 4 are good advice.

8. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Get your dog to a vet as fast as possible. From your description, he's not only sick, but suffering. Call a neighbor, a taxi, whatever you need to do.

9. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

Your dog could have ingested something he was not suppose to. Please lett us knwo thato utcome i hope everything works out!:eek:

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Dogs get sick just like people, Sometimes its a simple thing and they get over it in a few days, other times its more serious. My dog went through a few episodes like you have mentioned but snapped out of it. Get him to the vet as soon as possible but just because it looks bad it might be something that simple medication can fix.

11. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

He gets sick occasionally, but never so bad that he is acting so slow and gloomy.

I finally called my dad and told me what was going on. He said he'd call back soon.

My neighbor and his wife are vet, although I am pretty sure they are on vacation cause their son told me they were going to Paris over vacation.

I can tell he is swallowing blood though, he keeps licking like there is a strange taste in his mouth.

12. georgi0 macrumors regular

georgi0

i hope this doesn't sound silly but ...can you call 911 and ask for help?

poor thing, can't you reach your parents at work? any phone?
    any relatives around?

13. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

My dad called back. He's calling the vet. Unfortunately my dad is 1.5hrs away. He's leaving now and will be here around 3:00

I wasn't really freaking out until now. I can hear my dogs heart pounding from like 4 ft away and he looks like he is wincing in pain.

14. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

You really cannot wait. Is there a neighbor or a taxi company you can call, in order to get to the vet?

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

16. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

I really don't know what to do. I live pretty far away from any taxi company. I don't know who to call. Most of my my parents friends work.

He's now bleeding from both nostrils and just coughed up some blood.

Additioanlly, his tongue is very very pale pink, a tell tale sign something is wrong.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Call the vet and tell them this, maybe they can send someone out.

18. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

I called the vet. they are seeing if one of the doctors can drive up here any they'll be calling me back soon.

19. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Good. I assume you told them exactly what's going on, so they understand how critical it is.

Try to give your dog any comfort you can. He may well be dying, and he's definitely frightened and in pain. Dogs are intelligent, sit with him and speak softly. It can't hurt, and it might help to keep him calm.

20. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

He's calmed down a little. The vet should be here in about 10 min. My dog tore his ACL a few years ago and he didn't even act this strange. He's 7 years old. I am afraid he will get excited when the vet comes and then freak out when he gets to the vet.

21. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Glad to hear the vet is sending someone out...

poor little guy... comfort him until someone gets there...

hopefully everything works out ok... good luck...

22. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

The vet and an assistant came. He checked him out quickly and said there are signs of a lot of blood loss. He asked if there have been any food changes or poisons around the house and I said no. They put him in the "dog ambulance" and he said to call them in a 1/2hr. He said the cause of the bloody nose could be anything from trauma, to a tumor, to tick diseases, and that he'll have to check him out at the hospital.

And I must say, the vet that picked him up looked almost exactly like Toby from The Office. He had the same nervous/quiet/kinda unassertive personality

[​IMG]

23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

glad to hear that the vet has him. i hope it all works out well in the end. i understand how much a pet can become family.

24. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Good for you for taking care of this. While you wait to call, look around for signs that your dog did get into something he shouldn't have. Take a look in the yard as well, if he's been out recently. If you find any sign at all that he may have eaten something unusual, call the vet right away. If it is poison, the faster they know what he's ingested, the better chance there is they can help him.

Keep us posted.

25. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

Wow this really got me worried about the dog. I had my heart pumping from this. Good thing the vet came. Keep us posted.