What's the most important political issue for you?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by parrothead, Mar 12, 2004.

1. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

After browsing the political section for a while I started to become curious about what everyone thinks is the most important issue. So, what is the most important issue when it comes to politics. This question doesnt have to be confined to just this upcoming presidential election.

I will start with my thoughts.

Whenever I look at who to vote for or what issue to take a stand on, environmental concerns are formost in my mind. We have only so many resources and must be very careful with what we have. There is a very fine line between conservation and exploitation (as in logging, fishing, mining, etc.) Both are necessary in today's world. We must exploit in order to feed and house people, but we also must conserve to ensure that future generations have, well, a future. In my mind all other issues pale in comparison to the environment. If the environment were to collapse there would be no other issues since there wouldnt be any more people.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

3. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

For me, capturing UBL. Another 9/11 and not only would many die, but our economy would disappear for another year at least. No jobs. No health insurance for many. You wanna talk Patriot Act expansion, there you go.

Hate to give him "credit" for all that, but I think that's the case. Capturing him should be priority #1 IMO.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

5. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I am most interested in counteracting conservatives' downright superstitious opposition to taxes. I believe that there are many functions society needs that are best performed by the government, and I believe that they should be adequately funded. I believe that taxes are appropriate membership fees for the privilege of being an American. And I get really angered by the self-centered greediness that is part and parcel of conservatism and libertarianism's loathing of all taxes. Republicans these days are hell-bent on squeezing the government dry, the hell with the consequences, in the name of "keeping what's mine," in utter ignorance of the fact that they use many things in this country that are not theirs alone, and that these things must be paid for.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I've received questionnaires on this from both parties. I guess my problem is assigning any "most important" to just one or two. For instance, the environment is very important, but so is capturing OBL. Now insofar as what government can or should do in either case, well, we have a body of law in place concerning the environment. So, enforcement of the law, rather than more law, would be very important. As far as capturing OBL, I don't know what more can be done insofar as action by Congress--if by "government" one means Congress and the administrative bureaucracies.

I don't like the either-or aspect of so many of these questionnaires. :(

Awimoway, you trying to tell us that this present "starvation" budget comes from the Democrats--you should pardon my whimsy? I'm a conservative. Okay, fine. That doesn't mean I want no government, no taxes. It means I want some wiser and more efficient use of tax money in the various programs, and I want generally tighter requirements for eligibility for some of them. And just because somebody dreams up a new victim group doesn't mean they immediately need a bunch of tax-paid programs. We've spent over eight trillion dollars on social programs since the inception of LBJ's Great Society. Why is it we have about the same percentage of poor, now, that we had at the beginning? Could it be that government isn't the be-all and end-all of do-good?

In 16 years we've more than doubled the federal budget, at a time when state and local budgets have similarly increased. Collectively, we all have our hands out just way too often for too much "service" from ourselves' billfolds.

Which can get you to "The Economy" as "The Most Important", since governments' tax takes are more easily paid during boom times...

:), 'Rat

'Rat

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

As usual... 'It's the economy, stupid.'

or

'Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?'

8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Your statement seems to assume that social program spending should eliminate poverty. Which social programs are you referring to? The purpose of welfare is to alleviate poverty, not eliminate it.

9. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Property rights, RKBA, taxes.

A government that big enough to give you everything is also a government big enough to take everything away. I want a small government.

10. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Well, I had a big giant reply, when I was done in by Arn fixing the forums. Oh well, here's what it boiled down too:

Removing George W Bush fom office is the most important political issue for me at the moment. I believe it will take many years, possibly decades, for us as a nation to turn from the path he has set us on. He has risen to new heights of hypocrisy and arrogance, and he seems determined to turn back the clock on civil liberties, the environment, paranoid cold war international politics and the church/state relationship. He has weakened our nation financially and politically, domestically as well as on the world stage.

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

miloblithe, I agree that welfare can but alleviate poverty. The trouble is, the anti-poverty programs brought about in LBJ's Great Society laws were sold on the basis of curing poverty. Ending poverty. Weren't gonna be no mo' poverty. The proponents said so on the floor of Congress. They said so on TV and on radio and in the newspapers. We got all teary-eyed and hollered, "Right on!" and then we were cheered by the idea that we'd have a really better world.

Yeah, right. And the boys will be home by Christmas.

'Rat

12. frescies macrumors regular

already did...

Dont worry, they already did. Do some research on information coming out of Pakisatan and Turkey. It seems as though the US military already captured him on the Afghani/Pakistani border. They will make a media event closer to November, for obvious reasons

13. wwworry macrumors regular

I'm betting on early October for the "capture" of Ossama.

I don't think you can eliminate poverty either. I have heard that LBJ's original point was to get people who are a drag on society to start paying taxes and be more productive. What happened, however, was different. I don't think we should throw out the original intentions just because this particular inplementation may be faulty. The other thing to note is that sometimes it takes years to see how a program pans out.

I think almost all of us can imagine a situation where we ourselves might be in position to get govt. assistence. What if you lose your job, you get sick and/or a loved one is lost and you have children. Devastating, to say the least. In a bad economy it might take a while to recover.

The existing programs actually would help in a situation like the one described above. Most people would not fault the govt. for helping someone out like that. It just seems the programs should be, for the most part, temporary and I would say they should be of higher quality so that they actually work. It's the long term dependancy that bothers everyone.

Most important issue: equitable and robust funding of public education.

14. vniow macrumors G4

Link?

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

vniow -- there've been two threads here about it: here and here

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think Economy is number 1 but like thanatoast says correcting everything George has done will take awhile. starting a new arms race isnt the way. He has done so many things wrong on so many issues. we need balance and not extreme policies by either side. the patriot act needs to be thrown out along with about 100 otherthings George has manage to screw up. I wont list them since we have talked about it so much. I see no reason why a president cant be elected 3 times and that needs fixing as does the electoral college. its just not needed.

17. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Exactly my point. When was the last time you have seen a government program end when the problem had been fixed, or its been proven to be a total mess?

How about a charitable contribution tax exemption (not deduction, exemption are taken off the top, in one-to-one dollars)? Better yet. How about a bonus tax exemption. Say, for rich people that contribute over $50K in charitable contribution, they get $55K in tax exemptions. The formula can be tweaked to maximize funding of charitable organizations that would help people down on their luck.

18. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

National security...if I'm dead, all the other issues don't matter :cool:

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I've thought about this some more, and re-read the thread.

The things I see as not-good about this country by and large don't seem vulnerable to governmental actions, whether by law or by regulation.

I don't see how the economic picture can be changed by government action. Sure, some palliatives for those out of work--but we've done that before. It's just temporary relief.

Social/cultural? Hey, we're doing it to ourselves. Collectively, we try to emulate what's shown in the R- or X-rated movies and on TV or in the various ads. Etc., etc. "Let's have it all! We deserve it!"

Lifestyle? Hey, the average household indebtedness numbers pretty much says what that's costing folks--which goes back to economics and culture.

Illegal aliens? What can we do to make the Mexican system provide millions of jobs at adequate pay?

What's left? The War on Terror, and the civil rights issues engendered thereby, mostly, seems to me. Which candidate or party will do better on the former? Is it more or less important than the latter?

Now, existing law will still be in place if Kerry wins. The question is, would he be as honorable as the Bushies as to the use of the law? More than? Less than?

'Rat

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

There are a lot of situations I could be in where I'd rather be dead.

21. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

How about something in the Constitution that states "The right to live". Where as, when your born and till the day you die you don't have struggle for your survival. Society takes care of it's own and they don't ever have to worry about FOOD, SHELTER & HEALTHCARE!!!

Just a thought...

~e

22. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Well, now, eclipse525, my momma's always said that in her next incarnation she wants to come back as a forever-infant or a cat with a good home.

Best of luck, there, son. I hope your faith in reincarnation is strong enough...

Wish in one hand, poop in the other. See which fills up first.

On reflection, it occurs to me: That would be just boring as all get-out. No incentive fer nuttin'. Aw, well. I guess that at heart I'll always be a racer...

Funny, though. Food, shelter and healthcare are not anything I ever worried about. I just went out and worked and paid for them. Did okay by the wife and kid, too.

:D, 'Rat

23. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

How about addressing the problems at home first. National security from your own government. Taking care of every American (poverty, education, etc.) will change many of the behaviors from the get go. We are WAY too worried about others affairs and ignoring our own. The people need to start questioning and doing their part. The government has been unattended for too long. IMO.

~e

24. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Now, now. Don't be arrogant. Not everyone is in the same situation. Oh right, it's morally superior not to give a **** if others starve. Nice life. Too bad it's soulless.

25. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

That's great. You are very fortunate individual. Unfortunately, not many people are that blessed. I can tell you right now that most of the homeless people on the street aren't there because they are lazy and don't want to work. I guess you'll really never understand. God bless you and your family.

~e