Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
Hmmm.

Just yesterday I was driving along. This lady in a Ford Focus pulls over to the right side of the road (comes to almost a stop) with her right blinker on. I expect that she is pulled over so I go to pass her. When I am 20yards away from her (maybe less, I'm bad at eying measurments) she goes to make a U-turn. I slam on my breaks and steer myself away by going into the lane going in the opposite direction along with the lady. I was seriously 4ft away from hitting her. If I had gone to the right I would have hit the back of her.

I was considering taking one of my SUVs out on the road that day but for some reason I decided not to. If I was in an SUV that lady would have been crushed.

edge540

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
Indiana
The most insane things that I have ever seen occurred a couple of years ago. I have to say that this is kind of disgusting.
Riding home from school on the bus one day we encountered a traffice jam. When we approached the start of the jam I could see this man lying on the road with cop cars all around him. The guy had been shot in the head and there was a puddle of blood all around his head, aparently the cops did not cover the body and left everyone to see it. There was also a detective, i think, that was looking towards this building trying to see where the bullet came from i guess.
Second most insane thing that i have seen also happened when driving back from school. It was this man who got into a motorcycle accident and the cops also did not cover the body. The mans helmet was worn through and half his face was gone, rubbed all over the pavement behind him. That was really a frightening sight.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
One day in myOrganic Chem lecture, my professor was talking about something chemistry related, and she went off on a bit of a tangent and talking about something similar in it's chemical structure to what we were talking about. Yep, she started talking about cocaine.

And then she spent 10 minutes teaching us how to make it. :eek:

LifeIsCheap

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
Sydney, Oz.
The most sane thing you've seen?

kasei said:
I think we have a winner. No, not you George.

My sister managed to capture the most accurate TV caption ever about Bush...

Attachments

• Skynews Bush.jpg
    Skynews Bush.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 73

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
edge540 said:
The most insane things that I have ever seen occurred a couple of years ago. I have to say that this is kind of disgusting.
Riding home from school on the bus one day we encountered a traffice jam. When we approached the start of the jam I could see this man lying on the road with cop cars all around him. The guy had been shot in the head and there was a puddle of blood all around his head, aparently the cops did not cover the body and left everyone to see it. There was also a detective, i think, that was looking towards this building trying to see where the bullet came from i guess.
Second most insane thing that i have seen also happened when driving back from school. It was this man who got into a motorcycle accident and the cops also did not cover the body. The mans helmet was worn through and half his face was gone, rubbed all over the pavement behind him. That was really a frightening sight.

where is your school located
:eek:

my friend was actually at the scene of a gang drive by. (after it happened) apparently the girl was sitting at a red light they drove up and shot at her. The bullet flew inches by the passengers face and hit the girl right above her eye. He gave a very descriptive description of what the bullet did to her head.... I'm not sure why... i guess he just needed to talk about it and that was his way of venting.

ugh

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
hmmm..this is hard to think of on the spot because I know there are so many things that I have been like WTF in my lifetime?? But today not thinking that well...I did see this one guy inhale an entire cigarette with like ONE (maybe 2 draws). Unbelievable and that is how he smoked apparently! :p

And some of the other things that shock me is when I am watching some dumb talk show (Maury) and a woman is trying to find out who the baby's daddy is and she brings 6 potential fathers to the show to get tested...AND NONE OF THEM are the father! That stuff is insane to me! :eek:

public enemy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
COLORADO
The craziest thing i have read/heard recently- that the New York Yankees are going to the World Series!!!! and they are going to WIN the World Series!!!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I HATE THE YANKEES! GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
public enemy said:
The craziest thing i have read/heard recently- that the New York Yankees are going to the World Series!!!! and they are going to WIN the World Series!!!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I HATE THE YANKEES! GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!

I'd have to agree with that...I don't follow baseball much, but was shocked to find that the White Sox beat the Red Sox, the Astros beat the Braves, and the Angels beat the Yankees, all in one night. The exact opposite of what I'd expect.

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
An engineering buddy of mine was waiting with another 2 million people to see the pope (John Paul) a few years ago when he was in the states. He (my buddy) was behind an ocean of people and the folks next to him were concerned they wouldn't see the Pope. My buddy explained very matter-of-factly that a study was conducted via interviews with people and it was found that the Pope had a 2 mile blessing radius (my buddy is generally full of poo). The concerned party seemed to calm down at that thought. On the way back home, my buddy was on the train and heard the people sitting in front of him in conversation. Neither was any of the folks my buddy addressed previously, but one said to the other "Hey, did you hear about that study where they found the size of the Pope's blessing radius?"

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
This is probably one of the weirdest stories i've ever heard....

This Story is not only gross it includes some sexual content and a very descriptive description of a injured male body part

Darwin Award said:
One morning I was called to the emergency room by the head ER nurse. She directed me to a patient who had refused to describe his problem other then to say that he "needed a doctor who took care of men's troubles." The patient, about 40, was pale, febrile, and obviously uncomfortable, and had little to say as he gingerly opened his trousers to expose a bit of angry red and black-and-blue scrotal skin.
After I asked the nurse to leave us, the patient permitted me to remove his trousers, shorts, and two or three yards of foul-smelling, stained gauze wrapped about his scrotum, which was swollen to twice the size of a grapefruit and extremely tender. A jagged zig-zag laceration, oozing pus and blood, extended down the left scrotum.

Amid the matted hair, edematous skin, and various exudates, I saw some half-buried dark linear objects and asked the patient what they were. Several days earlier, he replied, he had injured himself in the machine shop where he worked, and had closed the laceration himself with a heavy-duty stapling gun. The dark objects were one-inch staples of the type used in putting up wallboard.

We x-rayed the patients scrotum to locate the staples; admitting him to the hospital; and gave him tetanus antitoxin, a broad-spectrum antibacterial therapy, and hexachlorophene sitz baths prior to surgery the next morning.

The procedure consisted of exploration and debridement of the left side of the scrotal pouch. Eight rusty staples were retrieved, and the skin edges were trimmed and freshened. The left testis had been avulsed and was missing. The stump of the spermatic cord was recovered at the inguinal canal, debrided, and the vessels ligated properly, though not much of a hematoma was present. Through-and through Penrose drains were sutured loosely in site, and the skin was loosely closed.

Convalescence was uneventful, and before his release from the hospital less then a week later, the patient confided the rest of his story to me.

An unmarried loner, he usually didn't leave the machine shop at lunchtime with his co-workers. Finding himself alone, he had begun the regular practice of masturbating by holding his penis against the canvas drive-belt of a large floor-based piece of running machinery. One day, as he approached orgasm, he lost his concentration and leaned too close to the belt. When his scrotum suddenly became caught between the pulley-wheel and the drive-belt, he was thrown into the air and landed a few feet away. Unaware that he had lost his left testis, and perhaps too stunned to feel much pain, he stapled the wound closed and resumed work.

I can only assume he abandoned this method of self-gratification.

Thanks Darwin

Chubypig

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2004
Phat_Pat said:
This is probably one of the weirdest stories i've ever heard....

This Story is not only gross it includes some sexual content and a very descriptive description of a injured male body part

Thanks Darwin

OOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW! words cannot describe that pain i'm sure. ouch! :eek:

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
bizarre coincidence?

It was June 14th, 1996 and the day of my degree results in Manchester. I remember walking home that afternoon with a couple of friends and we spotted a new poster that had just gone up on a bill board around the corner from our house. It was an advertisement for the Arndale Centre, the main shopping mall in central Manchester and featured a picture of Ryan Giggs (a Man United footie player) dressed in cricket attire. The caption read "Arndale Shopping Centre: Expect the Unexpected". We all commented on it.

Anyway that night we all went out and got really pissed. The following morning (Saturday 15th) we were woken up by this huge *BOOM*. We all came running out of our rooms, saying, what the hell was that? A little while later we heard on news reports that there had been an explosion in central Manchester and the Arndale Centre had been blown up.

Now how freaky is that? "Expect the unexpected" indeed...

I'm just very glad that we'd all got very drunk the night before and none of us had made it into town that morning.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Kobushi said:
An engineering buddy of mine was waiting with another 2 million people to see the pope (John Paul) a few years ago when he was in the states. He (my buddy) was behind an ocean of people and the folks next to him were concerned they wouldn't see the Pope. My buddy explained very matter-of-factly that a study was conducted via interviews with people and it was found that the Pope had a 2 mile blessing radius (my buddy is generally full of poo). The concerned party seemed to calm down at that thought. On the way back home, my buddy was on the train and heard the people sitting in front of him in conversation. Neither was any of the folks my buddy addressed previously, but one said to the other "Hey, did you hear about that study where they found the size of the Pope's blessing radius?"

I was helping a friend of my wife move. There was a spider in the basement. She jumped up on something and started to scream. To end the screaming I said, "Spiders are drawn to loud noises." The poor woman's head almost exploded. She started to scream and then stopped and then started.

The funny part came months later. This woman had told her sister the school teacher who was spreading it to all of her classes how spiders are drawn to loud noises.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I was selling a car. People came by based on my ad in the paper. A lady came by to look at the car. She asked to take it for a test drive. I said OK but I would come along (so she wouldn't drive off with my car). But, instead, she left us some collateral: her young daughter! My wife and I sat with her daughter while mom was test-driving the car.

It just so happens that I'm good with kids and not just out of prison for kidnapping, but how would this lady know that? Obviously, she didn't. I couldn't believe somebody would be so irresponsible to leave their kid with a stranger.

P.S. She came back, retrieved her daughter, and bought the car.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
well tonight after going to Red Sox and watching them lose (****ing graffinino sucks) i decided to get drunk and then a friend and i decided to pour Bacardi 151 on my arm and light it on fire.

It was soooooooo cool to watch my arm get engulfed in flames and not having it hurt at all.

Nanda Devi

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
East Lansing, Michigan
Dr. Q's story about selling his car reminded me of a pretty insane experience I had when I was selling a Ford Explorer a couple years ago...

The car had been parked in the same spot for quite some time, perhaps 3 or 4 months. A couple of guys came over to look at it, and when one of them opened the back door, a bunch of yellowjackets flew out. One of them stung this guy right in the middle of the forehead. He freaked out and it must have hurt like hell. Turns out the whole car was full of bee's nests... there were probably a dozen baseball-sized nests in there. My boyfriend went and bought an arsenal of bee-killer and (very carefully) doused all the nests. We went out the next morning and the ground was covered with about 100 dead bees.

Pretty horrifying... needless to say, the guys didn't buy the car!

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
macartistkel said:
hmmm..this is hard to think of on the spot because I know there are so many things that I have been like WTF in my lifetime?? But today not thinking that well...I did see this one guy inhale an entire cigarette with like ONE (maybe 2 draws). Unbelievable and that is how he smoked apparently!....

I had a boss who'd smoke like that, a single draw of about 45secs. and then he'd fill a room with smoke on the exhale. He also used to buy these really dark jeans that came in a single long length you were supposed to cut to fit but he'd just turn up to his knee!
:D

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
...When I was in my late teens one winter I was out with some friends and came across a large group of kids and teenagers fooling around in the snow about 11pm one night.
Some were just hanging out others throwing snowballs and some were grabbing the bumpers of the slow moving cars and 'skiing' behind them.
The gritting lorries were out and the kids were grabbing on to get towed. The same lorry went round a few times and on at least one pass stopped and told the kids not to and chased them off.
On a later pass a couple of these teenagers went under the lorry's wheels, one had both legs crushed and the other had the wheels go over his head.
I was only a few feet away on the side walk and heard a pop. It was like stamping on a tube of toothpaste.
In the snow and cold air it left this surreal scene of a corpse with the top of its head missing, leaving a void I could stare into with steam streaming out of it. A spray of red blood on the snow with a lump of brain matter and scalp about six foot from the body.

Gruesome but ‘cool’. Don’t get me wrong I was sorry for the guy and his family etc. but I feel no guilt in finding the situation fascinating, although cool might be the wrong choice of word.

Anyway peoples reactions were mostly lots of weeping and moving away etc. while one of my friends turned to us as we looked at the body and just said “He won’t be needing those trainers now will he?” It broke the mood and the four of us just laughed, which probably looked a little callous as the emergency services arrived to clean up.

I honestly thought the worst part was that while they were cleaning up the aftermath the gritting lorry came up for another pass not knowing he’d just killed a kid. He was in no way to blame but was probably effect the worst emotionally.

Edit:I should point out there was a running joke that my friend only had one pair of shoes and was out in the snow in his black leather dress shoes but we never took the trainers.....wrong size! I'm kidding.

I told the above story to a work colleague recently and it reminded him of a night he was walking down a busy road in London, near Richmond, and there were a group of teenage chavs hanging about the street. As he walked by them this girl around 15years just got up from sitting on a wall turned to her friends and just said watch this, like she was about to show them how she could do the splitz or touch her nose with her tongue.

Instead she just ran straight out into the road like she was going to see how it cool it would be to ran across the road without being hit, unfortunately it didn't turn out too cool a car in the first lane tagged her throwing her into next, oncoming, lane with added force where she got hit again throwing her through the air. My colleague watched the body land about 10m down the road then looked back to the impact spot where the shocked driver was just getting out her car and instead of looking at the body like you'd expect she was staring at him. He then looked down to find the girls head at his feet. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.