What's the name of the app that strips the un-needed PPC part out of Universal app?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AaronICT, Mar 3, 2007.

1. AaronICT macrumors member

I saw it online before I bought my Mac and now I can't find it. There was a shareware version and also another program that was freeware. They both removed unneeded packages from a Universal application so they were almost 50% in size.

Thanks!

2. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I think Monolingual does that... just be warned that it can (and quite possibly might) break rosetta beyond repair.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

monolingual. Use it with great care: you could easily break Rosetta stopping all PPC apps running.

Also they'll note get 50% smaller. Maybe 20% if you are very lucky. Only the executable code gets smaller. The resources (the window definitions, language files etc) are not copied for each architecture.

That said if you strip the PPC code and ALL the languages you don't need some apps will end up a lot smaller than 50%...

4. RupertJ macrumors newbie

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Before you do this: Your applications won't be 50 percent smaller. There is considerable risk that you mess up your computer. There is a good chance that you will kick yourself at some point because you need to run the application on a PowerPC. There is a good chance that a future software update for your software will mess things up if the PowerPC code is unexpectedly missing.

Still want to do this?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I already said all this :rolleyes:

7. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Just to muddy the waters, Xslimmer is another app that does this, and there is a command line tool (if you're comfortable mucking around the Terminal) called 'lipo' that will do this too.

Like the others said, be careul as this can do damage, but I haven't really heard of many people having problems as a result of this.

http://www.xslimmer.com/