Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
It's 1:30pm and after a long hot bath I've already opened a bottle of 2003 Sancerre which has been chilling in the fridge. I'll be sipping on this through the day and when friends come over later.

Also in the fridge is an organic cherrywood smoked ham which will probably be the culinary highlight of the day along with roast potatoes, roast parsnips and some other winter veggies...

What is, has been or will be your food or drink highlight of Xmas day?

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Your upcoming meal is very appetizing, Blue. It's early here (8:45) and so far the honor goes to Corn Flakes. It has to improve as the day goes on because it is my sister's birthday and we will be enjoying a nice pasta dinner with chicken, salad and later topped off with a chocolate cream pie.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
No idea what's on the menu for later at Mom's but I'm about to cook breakfast for my girlfriend and me.

Eggs, potatoes, bacon and corn muffins. A nice bottle of bubbly with some fresh squeezed OJ will make some tasty mimosas.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Didn't have any christmas breakfast today, some years we do, some we don't. So I've actually haven't eaten anything sofar today. This year we're going on a Christmas day dinner to my girlfriends father. We're having lutefisk**, which can be referred to as many thing, but I've never actually heard it be called "nice" (;)), so I'm not actually sure I'll be eating anything today, at all... :p :D

** From the wikipedia article about lutefisk: Lutefisk is made from air-dried whitefish (normally cod), prepared with lye, in a sequence of particular treatments. The first treatment is to soak the stockfish in cold water for five to six days (changed daily). The saturated stockfish is then soaked in an unchanged solution of cold water and lye for an additional two days. The fish will swell during this soaking, regaining a size even bigger than the original (undried) fish, but the protein content paradoxically decreases by more than 50 percent, causing its famous jelly-like consistency. When this treatment is finished, the fish is full of lye, has a pH value of 11-12 and is poisonous. To make the fish edible, a final treatment of yet another four to six days (and nights) of soaking in cold water (also changed daily) is needed. Eventually, the lutefisk is ready to be used for cooking.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
rdowns said:
No idea what's on the menu for later at Mom's but I'm about to cook breakfast for my girlfriend and me.

Eggs, potatoes, bacon and corn muffins. A nice bottle of bubbly with some fresh squeezed OJ will make some tasty mimosas.

Hope you're walking or jogging to your Mom's place to burn some of that off! Sounds really yummy but also extremely filling. :D

Don't know about the lutefisk, though... :eek:

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Even though my family doesn't celebrate xmas until Jan, we still got together for lunch at my grandma's. She always does the traditional roast thing with veggies etc...She also makes this awesome baked cheesecake which everybody loves, so that was probably my highlight for today.

The true culinary highlight for me will be on Christmas Eve on the 6th of Jan, where our family does a big traditional Ukrainian Christmas dinner with 12 courses!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Blue Velvet said:
Hope you're walking or jogging to your Mom's place to burn some of that off! Sounds really yummy but also extremely filling. :D

Too far to walk but the niece and nephew are getting new bikes from me. Wanna bet that Uncle Randy will be out riding with them?

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Home made leek and potato soup with a bit of chopped onion and a few bits of broccoli, all well blended. (My favourite ;) ) Then we had the turkey with some spuds, peas, carrots and parsnip. There is also a nice honey roast gammon but that's for later with a nice glass of wine, maybe.

I don't like over eating on christmas. I stay away from the sweet stuff too.

Now I'm chilling in the living room with a nice fire. It's really gloomy and cold outside, but all cosy inside.

I hope everyone at Macrumors has a nice christmas! :D :)

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
I haven't eating anything yet! Im starving!

My mom said we're having a dutch baby and apple crisp for breakfast... then for "linner" we are having crab and gnocci. yummmmm!

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Well, with my family Christmas means turkey for dinner. For breakfest I just ate some sweets out of my stocking, bad I know, but tasty no doubt.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Coffee. Lots of Coffee.
When you have young children, Christmas morning leaves no time for anything so basic as eating.
I do have a nice bottle of Kendall Jackson Pinot Noir for later though.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
well, it's 11.30am here, and my wife (of two weeks, tomorrow) and I will be having (wild Alaskan) salmon benedict for breakfast, with a bellini or two most likely... and later on for dinner we'll be having Austalian lobster tails with steamed asparagus and an herb risotto. :D

it's great having a (pastry) chef as a wife :D

(we no longer eat meat, and this will be the last time we eat fish)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
evoluzione said:
well, it's 11.30am here, and my wife (of two weeks, tomorrow) and I will be having (wild Alaskan) salmon benedict for breakfast, with a bellini or two most likely... and later on for dinner we'll be having Austalian lobster tails with steamed asparagus and an herb risotto. :D

Sounds absolutely divine...

evoluzione said:
it's great having a (pastry) chef as a wife :D

Awww... I bet choux just love her to bits. :D

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Les Kern said:
Coffee. Lots of Coffee.
When you have young children, Christmas morning leaves no time for anything so basic as eating.
I do have a nice bottle of Kendall Jackson Pinot Noir for later though.

I remember being a real pain when I was younger. It was a bit of a role reversal this year, my dad woke me up.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Had my mommy's 'famous' Chinese ox-tail beef stew for breakfast.

Lunch-- I dunno.

Dinner is gonna be hot pot! :D Yay! In case you haven't seen it done; you have a little electric er, hot pot... in the center; fill it with either water or light chicken stock set it to boil and let the fun ensue.

We put all sorts of veggies; napa cabbage, er some Chinese veggies that I don't know the English names for, those long thin mushroomy things, lots of rice noodles, tofu, tomatoes, raw eggs (they cook in the pot, ya know).

We also cook all sorts of meats: shrimp, squid, octopus, beef, pork, lamb, etc.

The best part of it is? After you've had your fill of solids, there's incredible soup that's good for days (if it's not all eaten sooner ;)).

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
It's a bit early yet, but we have dinner on the prep. for relatives here
We got the smoker working yesterday, so we smoked a turkey*, a duck, a salmon, 2 trout and 4 chickens. That should hold us a while...

We'll have all the other usuals for dinner: Potatoes, yams, beans, brussels sprouts, gravy, two types of home made cranberry sauce, tiramisu for dessert

Cheers to all !
Trevor

*getting that turkey to fit into the rolling papers was #=!!
;)

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
I had roast goose with baked saurkraut , potato salad, veal snitchzels, garlic prawns, and potato flat bread. No dessert but then again no room for it:rolleyes:
My family does the full traditional xmas dinner thing

satty

macrumors 6502
I only had some Haribo gummi bears so far.

I had to work for most of the day (12 hours, starting 2 am) and I am waiting for a friend, working at the same place (different shift), to finish soon to get something decent to eat and to keep some sort of Christmas Spirit up.

Opened a bottle of wine to cut the wait short :)

satty

macrumors 6502
CanadaRAM said:
... brussels sprouts...

Forget the rest, this is my favourite on your menue. I was last Thursday in a nice restaurant close to Berkeley Square, London, and I had Brussel Sprouts there... Nearly forgot about the nice pheasant with it and the wood pidgeon for starters... yeah... and the Chateau Musar (unfortunately not my favourite years 1996 or 1997).

satty

macrumors 6502
Leareth said:
I had roast goose with baked saurkraut , potato salad, veal snitchzels, garlic prawns, and potato flat bread. No dessert but then again no room for it:rolleyes:
My family does the full traditional xmas dinner thing

Your Christmas Meal sounds very nice. Looks like German and Austrian Influence, not the prawns though.

How do you write "Schnitzel"????
Are we talking about this flat porky thing, fried in a pan (most likely with some bread crumps around)?

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
So far today, all I had was a couple of cheese sandwiches. Later we're going to my parents house for dinner.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I had ketchup and potatoes!

YESSSss...

it's an xmas tradtion.. my mom made me one without sausage, especially for my veggieness. :D

Also, I had some mango juice. ZOMG yum!

Later, some ginger beer. Yum.

and my friend brought me cake.. CAKE!! With cream cheese frosting.. ohhhh yummm.. (i already ran my finger through the frosting, don't worry, I made sure it tastes good.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.