Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eejits

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
Just wondering.....

What's the ONE greatest advantage of owning an iMac over a Windows PC?

Cheers,

George

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There is not one greatest advantage. Each of us use a mac for different reasons, i.e., its a personal preference.

For me, I prefer using OSX over windows.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
For me, it's the seamless integration you get when you completely buy in to the Apple ecosystem.

Computers, software, services, mobile devices and entertainment devices all work together pretty seamlessly and I think that's pretty damn cool.

First boot on my MacBook Air, I logged in with my iCloud account and the data is just there: Music purchases, mail, contacts, calendar, app purchases and settings (soon books & maps). Without any configuration, both AppleTV's appeared, available for mirroring.

Apple Computers aren't any faster or inherently easier to use. While it's possible to hack together some stuff, Apple does it all in house and the computer functions as just one piece of a larger ecosystem.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
ok, this is my .5 cents and i hope it's helpful. i have a windows pc and a mbp. i have been a mac user since 2003 when i got a 12" powerbook. recently, i built a windows pc for gaming. this is my the first pc i ever owned. although, i grew up learning how to use windows 3.1 then windows 95 when i was a kid using the family pc. basically, what i want to point out that people sometimes overlook is that a mac's price includes iLife, of which there is no equivalent in the pc world. not also, iLife, but apple mail, calendar, contacts amongst other useful apps i don't see with windows 8. ok, windows 8 does come with a calendar and a mail program but it's a metro app and metro in windows is sort of another app on top of an app... it doesn't FEEL integrated in the same way that apps are in macs.... i'm sure windows will improve this as their app ecosystem grows, but right now, it basically s*cks. i can't use my pop account on windows 8 mail, for example.

the second consideration is the app store--the apple app store has more choices of apps at affordable prices that i also don't see on windows. for example, i use pixelmator, iDraw and coda, which are all affordable compared to a windows or adobe equivalent. and then there's the apple "pro" apps, which compares to windows has no competition in terms of their price, such as FCP X for $299... premiere pro cos twice as much and sony vega, isn't as polish as FCP X....

my point is that a pc might be cheaper, but once you buy software that you need, unless you get the free open source programs, of which are also available on macs (i.e.: GIMP, open office, etc), windows programs cost so much more. this is just what i observed after i built my gaming pc and sort of browsed the windows app landscape of apps that i was interested in so i may work on or use windows for creative stuff. alas, non existed or couldn't afford them, so my windows pc is strictly for gaming and my mac is where i edit videos, photos, illustrations and write email.

again, just my .5 cent. hope this helps.

ps--the way os x works with files also seems simpler. not a pc geek, but an example of windows being "more" complex is windows registry. os x doesn't have this and i think that is another advantage.

eejits

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
Thanks guys! A nice selection o' reasons. Keep 'em coming. I'm learning as much as I can be fore I take the plunge into the great world of iMac.

the second consideration is the app store--the apple app store has more choices of apps at affordable prices that i also don't see on windows. for example, i use pixelmator, iDraw and coda, which are all affordable compared to a windows or adobe equivalent. and then there's the apple "pro" apps, which compares to windows has no competition in terms of their price, such as FCP X for $299... premiere pro cos twice as much and sony vega, isn't as polish as FCP X....

Ooo, I am looking into using Pixelmator. (I started another thread about my cartoon creatures and how I make them here ) How does it handle vectors and does it do bezier curves? What like is it as a creation tool?

Cheers,

George

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
How does it handle vectors and does it do bezier curves? What like is it as a creation tool?

pixelmator does do bezier using the shape tool. shape tool has basic shapes like rectangle, circle, star, etc... but then u can add points to it and edit those points to alter the shape. but, i don't think vectors and bezier curves are pixelmator's strong suite. i use pixelmator for editing photos. for vector drawings, i think iDraw is better for you and this program i also got from the app store.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
How does it handle vectors and does it do bezier curves? What like is it as a creation tool?

Yes, both iDraw & Pixelmator have Pen tools and can do Bezier curves. For only $40 you can buy both and use both on a project, dragging transparent Tiffs from one into the other program, if you want or need to.

iDraw is deceptively simple and very intuitive. Because one can be up and running in it so quickly a lot of people dismiss it as not very powerful. Dig a bit deeper and you'd be surprised what you can do, albeit, it's going to be different than Adobe. Currently, you can easily stroke a shape or path with text. --Not custom brushes though, unfortunately!

:) I'm REALLY looking forward to the update soon with more power features. I've tried the Beta and it opens & preserves Photoshop psd layer files, just one of the many new features.

-----

Re an iMac?:
It has to be at least 2 things for me, the screen & the OS.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Just wondering.....

Cheers,

George

For me? Think of it as the desktop equivalent of the Macbook line. I get the integration of hardware and software Apple is renown for.

Sassers

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Just wondering.....

Cheers,

George

I'm a recent Mac convert from 25 yrs of Windows. My initial overriding reason for buying an iMac was because I wanted something slick without all the friggin' wires I had going everywhere - I wanted a simple all-in-one with adequate graphics for the particular programs I used.

Then I realized what a joy OSX was - it's different from Windows, and requires a different sort of mindset of how things are done, but its really grown on me.

My next epiphany was just how nice everything works together when you end up in the Apple ecosystem. I now have an iPhone, iPod, iPad, AppleTV and iMac, and everything syncs everywhere perfectly. I switched 'net providers, and the only place I could put my new router/modem was across the room from my computer. Since I needed to get a new router & modem anyhow, I got an Airport Express - rock solid wireless for my iMac with no hiccups. Easiest set up I've ever done - I couldn't believe how simple it all was.

The other funny thing I've realized that with all my Windows machines, I never had the urge to accessorize them - they just sat there chugging away. With the iMac - I do! I'm constantly cruising through Mac sites looking for interesting keyboards/stands/etc. Of course, that alone may be an overriding reason NOT to buy a Mac because that kinda stuff does add up:D

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
Just wondering.....

Cheers,

George

The one greatest advantage is that it just works right. Windows doesn't always work.
Other big advantages:

1. It just works, doesn't crash
1.1 Faster than balls
2. Dead quiet
3. OS X power and usability
4. Energy efficient
5. Works with your other Apple devices seamlessly

Last edited:

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
As with all the Apple computers (devices excluded), one major advantage is the ability to run Windows via Bootcamp.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I like the ability to use all major OS's on the same machine.
I have a few windows and linux VM on this along with OS X.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
For me it is iOS Development. If I didn't need that I would build a gaming PC in a heartbeat and use a RAZOR for my laptop.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
If it is PowerPC, a faster computer that is completely different than a PC, and a better operating system. PowerPC is a faster, cleaner architecture, x86 is a mess of junk sprawled all over the assembly code compared to PowerPC.
If it is intell, then there is no advantage, just build your own rig and hackintosh it.

The one best benefit of a iMac
A faster, cleaner, more efficient processor architecture called PowerPC.

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
The convenience factor of having every file I have in one place with one power cord that can be accessed whenever I have wifi from my MBP.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
We switched to Macs in our house when I finally got fed up of being the Support Manager/Help Desk for the family. I remember warning a friend of mine that if he moved to Mac, he was in danger of being bored because he didn't have to tinker with or fix anything. The stuff just works,

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
The one greatest advantage is that it just works right. Windows doesn't always work.
Other big advantages:

1. It just works, doesn't crash
2. Dead quiet
3. OS X power and usability
4. Energy efficient
5. Works with your other Apple devices seamlessly

1. I have to admit that neither my Mini 2012, nor my MBA 2013 ever crashed, but neither did any of my Thinkpads since the introduction of Windows XP.
On the other hand I had beachballs several times (and stalled apps on Windows, too). At least in my experience both OSs are quite robust and stable (as long as you stick to well-built and supported hardware).
2. Yes, on average the Apple products are more energy efficient and quiet, because this is one of the design aspects that they try to optimize. It's not much of an issue in the Windows world which is dominated by the demand driven by corporations. And they don't care about this in general (or in other words: they are not willed to pay for it).
3. Yes, OSX is nice. But I don't think that I'm more productive than under Windows. In fact I think that both OS are quite similiar these days.
4. Yes
5. No. This is one of the big disappointments that I had with the Apple world. Everything worked and integrated well on my iOS devices, but OSX was a mess. Apple's cloud services are half-baked, things are not syncing realiably, the functionality is very limited (i.e. I can't share documents between my computers as I do with Dropbox; iPhoto doesn't sync at all). Even basic protocols like Samba don't work well under OSX. Integration between OSX and the corporate world (which is dominated by Windows) doesn't work well etc.

My experience is mixed. I really like working with OSX, but it's neither 'it just works', nor much better than Windows 7.

Fifteen20s

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
The best part about owning a Mac is OSX and how iCoud sycs Numbers and Pages among all my devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.