What's the point in buying ilife?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gear02, Sep 27, 2004.

1. gear02 macrumors member

Aug 18, 2004
    So iLife contains GarageBand, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and iTunes. What's the point in buying this when iphoto, itunes, imovie, and idvd are included in OSX 10.3?

Am I missing something?
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I think only iTunes is the only thing you get free with a copy of 10.3. Everything else forms iLife, which come with all new Macs AFAIK. They sell it seperate for those that want to upgrade their iLife apps without buying a new Mac...pretty much everyone!
  3. gear02 thread starter macrumors member

Aug 18, 2004

So the reason why I have iphoto, imovie, idvd, and (I assume, i haven't looked) garageband is that I already own ilife?

4. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2004
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    Strangely enough, I plan my new Mac purchases around getting new software. So, I'll be getting a new iMac rev. B after Tiger and iLife 05 come out.

5. rand() macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2004
    Yes, actually, you do own iLife. Anyone who buys a new mac gets that year's (or most current) version of iLife.

Technically, iPhoto, iMovie, and iTunes are the only parts of iLife that simply "come with" Panther. iDVD requires iLife, but will have come with your computer if it was SuperDrive equiped. However, you cannot restore iDVD from the Panther discs (i.e. when you 'clean install'), only from the Software Restore originals.

You may not neccessarily have Garageband, as it was a more recent release. It depends on how recently you purchased your Mac.

6. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    I haven't purchased a new Mac since iLife came out, but I thought that the iApps included on the Mac were not as complete as those that came with iLife. For example, non-iLife iPhoto is version 2.x, where iLife iPhoto is version 4.x.
  7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    You would buy iLife if you bought your mac before last spring, when all new macs started shipping with iLife 4.0. Newer macs--no need for the upgrade. Older macs--you may want it. Newer macs come with the newest version--nothing is missing.

iTunes 4.0 (or 4.6, whatever) is free, regardless.
  8. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Thanks for the clarification. Now if I can somehow justify buying the new G5 iMac since, well, it comes with iLife ...