whats the point of a screensaver?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hadley, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Hadley macrumors member

if my MBP goes into sleep mode in 10 minutes anyway? I love my mac, and Im definitely never going back to PC, but Im just so confused as to why there would even be a screensaver if it is essentially useless. Is there anyway to modify the amount of time before sleep mode goes into effect?

2. JAT macrumors 603

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes, you can go to [blue apple menu] System Preferences...->Desktop & Screen Saver to alter the timing, and to System Preferences...->Energy Saver to alter when the screen dims.

Screen savers used to be critical years ago with older CRTs. Now... not so much.

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Of course, click on the blue Apple logo in your menu, then System Preferences, there is a screen saver thingy for you to click :)

5. Hadley thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys. I changed my sleep mode timing so i can actually enjoy these screen savers;)

6. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Modern LCD's are quite susceptible to "image persistence". While not permanent like phosphor burn-in on CRT's, image persistence can be quite annoying and can take quite a while to get rid of.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm not so sure about that - the blue apple and the spotlight icon have yet to become persistent on nay of my LCDs, even when I go to a blank white screen to check. I doubt that this is a universal problem with all LCDs.

8. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

They affect S-IPS panels more (ie: the Apple cinema displays), the Macbook Pros uses cheap TN panels while the iMac uses MVA, those are somewhat more resilient ironically.

9. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

The worst problem I have had with it was on a refurb 20" iMac CD. It had the menu bar, Apple logo, and dock all ghosted on the screen as well as some aspects of the desktop (I assume). It took me two weeks of displaying a plain white image to get rid of the persistence.

As an aside, this is the only problem I have had in the 10 or so refurbs I have bought.

10. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

For LCD monitors, I never use screen savers. I will set up the energy saver so that the screen goes to sleep after 10 minutes of non use. Running screen saver will also use the back light, which is a waste in my opinion. With the modern LCD screens, I don't think there is any merit of screen savers except for the personal preference in watching them.