Whats the point of Safari in the notification center?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Hwilensky, Jul 27, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Like the title says? What is the point of safari in the notification? What is the purpose for this?

Thanks,
    Hwilensky

2. macrumors 6502a

ConCat

3. thread starter macrumors member

4. macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

It seems as if certain websites can ask if you want to use notifications when you access the webpage, for example, Gmail.

I had no idea this would happen, but I went to my Gmail account within Safari 6 and noticed a message at the top of the page that said "Click here to enable desktop notifications for Gmail."

So it seems webpages such as google (and who knows who else) can send notifications through safari without the need of a native app.

Here's a screenshot of the message at the top of my gmail page.

Attached Files:

5. macrumors 6502a

ConCat

Well, there's no way to get it to work really. Either a website supports it or it doesn't. Gmail supports it. Not sure about any other website.

6. macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Yeah, I've got the gmail one disabled anyway because I have gmail set up within the "Mail" app anyways, so I don't need the notification twice. But I'm sure as time goes on, other sites may allow for this functionality.

7. thread starter macrumors member

Would be great if sites like espn and cnn would work? I just hooked up gmail. I will wait to see what the benefit of it is? I guess if gmail is linked up to it, then you do not need to leave your mail application open to receive mail.

8. macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Gmail notifications have been around for quite some time now. Do they directly integrate into Notification Center or do they still use Growl?

9. macrumors 6502

If you want to see Safari notifications in action go to:

http://studio.html5rocks.com/#Time!

It is simple to code this into the websites. I don't know why more haven't activated yet.

----------

Growl 2 (the next version) will integrate Growl notifications into NC. For a temporary solution you can use Hiss (Google for it).

10. macrumors 65816

Does the websites need to remain open or does this use server-sent events or similar? i.e - can notification centre still receive g-mail events if I close gmail.com?

11. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

The page needs to remain open, which seems to me really reduces the benefit of this feature.

12. macrumors 65816

Yeah, it sounds like it'd still work best with an intermediary that can maintain a bunch of server event streams or similar in order to handle notifications.

I wonder then; would it work if you took a website with notifications support and used the open in dashboard tool to shove it on your dashboard as a widget instead?

13. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

That is a good idea that might work.