What's the process for transferring Applecare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by acedickson, May 2, 2005.

1. acedickson macrumors 6502a

Dec 6, 2004
    I'm meeting a person tomorrow to purchase their iPod Mini. They have Applecare for it and it's included. I want to make sure the right steps are taken to transfer it into my name. Anyone that knows what needs to be done, please let me know.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    It's all spelled out in the Applecare document.

In short... you have to send the Apple Care service number and the reciept for the product to an Apple snail mail address with the new persons address. But it's all clearly outlined in the documentation... I'd read that.
  3. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    In a Mauve Dream
    I believe it is tied to SN

I bought a PM G4 from a friend a couple of years back that still had Applecare. Being that I knew the person I bought it from, we did not bother with transferring Applecare. When I went to install an AirPort card, the slot felt extremely tight; rather than reisking damage, I called Apple tech support and after giving them the tower's SN, they were able to take my support call. I would call Apple just to make sure, but I am almost certain it is tied to the product's serial number.