what's the RAM 'sweet spot' for PowerMac G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cb911, Feb 1, 2006.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

I'm just wondering - what exactly is the 'sweet spot' for RAM in the PowerMac G5's? Is there even a sweet spot?

I've been doing some reading, mostly this article:
    http://www.macnet2.com/more.php?id=460_0_1_0
    and they mention that 2GB used to be the sweet spot, but then they tried 4GB, made up of 512MB sticks, so they filled all 8 RAM slots, and they say they the PM felt and performed like a totally new machine.

here's an excerpt:
    So has anyone tried this themselves? I've got no doubt that maxxing out the RAM is a sure way to increase performance when working with large files, and it would seem processes like rendering as well.

But is there anything about filling up all slots that makes performance better? Do all the sticks have to be the same size? Or would it be just as good to maybe have 1(or more)x1GB stick and 7x512MB?

And while we're on the subject, has anyone noticed particular brands of RAM that are significantly better than the rest? That article I linked to really sounds like a big Crucial commercial. People making comments on that site recommend Mushkin RAM more highly than Crucial. Thoughts?

I've been wondering about this for a while, so any comments are appreicated.:)
    Oh yeah - I hope I posted this in the best forum as well... :eek:

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I just added 2GB of RAM (2x1GB DataMem) to my G5 which already had 2.5GB (stock 2x256 and 4x512 Crucial) and the change was nice, but not nearly essential. Many programs (like ps, illustrator, after effects, etc) won't address more than 2gigs. Adding 2-4 gigs makes for a very good machine, I doubt I'd see much of a difference after that.