What's the real difference between BT and wireless mouse?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by veronicaleo, Nov 1, 2004.

1. veronicaleo macrumors newbie

I just got my new 12" ibook in the mail today and it's lovely. Now I need to get a mouse. I have built-in BT but the mice out there seem to be awfully expensive. Is there any real advantage to getting a BT mouse over a regular wireless one? Any mouse recommendations?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

there is a huge difference between BT mice and Wireless mice

wireless mice use RF frequencies to talk to a base, which is then in turn connected to your computer via USB

BT mice connect directly to your computer without the need of having any external dongles present so for a laptop especially BT is great

BT mice are more expensive, but is the only way that you can be truly Wireless with a mouse

3. cube macrumors G4

I think BT mice have about 10m range while non-BT has up to 3 (depending on model).

A non-BT mouse like the Logitech MX700 supports OS 9. I have one and it's great.

4. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Veronicaleo:

Better if you get a BT mouse, with those *normal* wireless mice/mouses you need to attach a dongle to the USB port :eek:.
    Now that you got your *book with BT, make the thing to pay off.
    If you are not happy with the super and wonderful 1-button mouse, you may try the MX900 from Logitech.

5. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Ohhh!!, just embrace the irony that the Microsoft BT mouse is beter the the Apple version!!!

6. cube macrumors G4

A BT mouse has a refresh rate of about 80 Hz. A Logitech Fast RF mouse (MX700 or MX1000) does 125 Hz.

Cube+old 23" Cinema Display+Bluetooth Keyboard+MX1000+glass desk. Ha!

7. veronicaleo thread starter macrumors newbie

Please humor me and tell me what a refresh rate is.

8. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

haha yes it's sad fact. The apple 1 button mice are like the little bastard product of apple computers. We must all swallow are pride and admit that Microsoft makes a better mouse than apple.
    Face it ppl 2 buttons and a scroll wheel is a better design....I feel dirty.

9. cube macrumors G4

It means the computer receives mouse data 125 times per second for the Fast RF and 80 for the BT. This is important for games.

Search Google for 'bluetooth mouse unplayable'

10. veronicaleo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for explaining. I won't be playing any games so I guess that won't be as much of a concern for me.

11. cube macrumors G4

I see it's for an iBook. Get BT. It's better for the road.

12. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

BT rocks the house when you have a built in module in your laptop! i have a had both 'wireless' and BT. with the wireless you have to have an external device that plugs into your USB. with bluetooth, since you have it built in, all you need is the mouse. great for portability purposes. also better in a technical sense. the RF (radio frequency) range of a 'wireless' mouse is the same as your 'wireless' phone at home. and can get interferance relativly easy. the RF of the BT is a different range so you are less likely to get interfereance, and BT has been designed to allow for a longer range.

i would recomend The Mouse BT from macmice.com it looks like the apple mouse, except it has two buttons and a scroll wheel. as you mentioned it, like other BT mice are on the expensive side, but i deffinitly think it is worht the extra money! especially cause it will look sooo good sitting next to your iBook!

13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You can also encrypt Bluetooth, which is more important for a keyboard, but still.

BT all the way!