Whats the region deal with Xbox 360 HD DVD Drive/HD DVDs?

Discussion in 'Games' started by arcsbite, Dec 20, 2006.

1. arcsbite Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    HD DVD players for the 360 were released here in the UK a week or 2 ago.
    thing is, they are not available anywhere, not till the new year at least.

I am off to New York in feb, and with the dollar being so low against the pound I can get the HD DVD Player over there for about £40 less than I can here.

what are the repercussions?

My 360 is a PAL.
    are the HD DVD players region coded? are HD DVD's region coded?

If I could, I'd like to buy the HD DVD player in New York, hook it up to my UK 360 and play UK HD DVDs through it, also I'd like to buy HD DVDs in the states in feb...would they play?

I've looked into it and I'm getting conflicting advice and just wanted to find out before giving up :(

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    The HD-DVD drive/player itself is region free, you can use one from any region on a 360.

All HD-DVD films are region free at the moment, most of mine are from the USA yet i'm in Ireland.

There is rumor and talk that region coding may be implemented in HD-DVD titles in the future, but whether thats 2007/2008/2009 ? who knows.

Basically at the moment your safe buying your HD-DVD drive from the states, and HD-DVD titles from anywhere.

When / if region coding comes into the equation, it will be your XBOX's 360's localisation that will set the region that will play, not the drive so your safe then as well.
  3. arcsbite thread starter Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    thanks so much :D