What's the verdict on MacBook's then?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by XP Defector, Aug 9, 2006.

1. XP Defector macrumors 6502

My old Dell Inspiron 5500 met an untimely end with a glass of water. So finally my insurance company is paying out, at the moment they are offering me a Sony Vaio. I'm going to stick it to them that Vaios are rubbish and for the same price I can either purchase a Acer Travelmate, which are excellent laptops, or of course a MacBook. All I've heard is they are poorly built, disapointing etc, so can anyone tell me something positive about them?

Best Regards.

2. LoveMacMini macrumors regular

I say get a ThinkPad or a Black MacBook

The white ones seem to have a lot of issues, then again you can't, simply can not beat the keyboard on a ThinkPad so the choice is yours.

3. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I have a white MacBook and it's great. I can thoroughly recommend you get one.

4. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Get a MB!!!!

I have the 2Ghz white model, and it is the best computer I've ever had!!!!!

IT HAS NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER!!!!!

5. PDE macrumors 68020

If you're fine with XP, I'd have to recommend a good thinkpad too - nothing beats it for build quality and durability. Also, the keyboard IS really the best there is. The thinkpad plastic composite is also first rate and they stay new-looking for years.

If, like me, you can't stand windows, I'd say go for a macbook. they're really nice notebooks, only let down by the the materials used in their cases. It's not that it isn't durable, just that it will not hold up cosmetically over time. That goes for both the black and white models. They're not in the same league as the thinkpad.

tell us what you decide.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Interesting about the Thinkpad's keyboards being the best, it's not too suprising. What are the Macbook/MacBook Pro's like in comparison and which Mac laptop has a better keyboard?

Anything has to be better than this Dell Latiude X300 keyboard I'm currently using.

Back to topic I haven't heard of any issues really with the Macbook, the Macbook Pro seems to have quite a few though.

PS Sorry for thread hijacking.

7. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Get a Macbook. I've had mine for quite a while now and I have had no problems at all (apart from what I think is a hissing sound coming from the hard drive, but its only noticable if you both listen out for it and you're in a quiet room).

8. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

The MacBook is made from the same material as the iBook and having owned two in the past they lasted me several years without any problem. If you keep them clean they look as good as the day the were purchased.

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

10. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

i won't get one, not becuase their not nice everything is perfect except for the graphics, i want a computer i can play games on, you can't run the sims 2 on this

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Ditto.

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

you can.

13. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

I presume your talking from experience, if so then thats great:), but what is performance like

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

alright, not amazing but you can play it smoothly, the topic has been discussed to death, check out the macbook gameing threads.

15. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Info:
    White 2.0 GHz MacBook.
    Week 19.
    1 GB Apple RAM and stock 60 GB HDD.

Issues:
    2 kernal panics. Both due to crappy and useless 3rd pary software, now deleted. No stain, moo, whine, fallin apart or baaaaahing.:D

I dunno why people like these Thinkpads so much. The new MB keyboard is the coolest I've typed on. Believe me, my freind has a thinkpad. Also, it has top quality hardware and OS from Apple. I'd say, that you can't, simply cannot overgo this laptop, except with an MBP with a magnetic latch...:D

16. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I have a white MacBook, get it, it's the best purchase I have ever made, rite next to my iPod video (also white).

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i say get the Macbook. i have week 30 model, and so far no issues at all! it flies! :cool: