What's the view from your computer desk?

Discussion in 'Community' started by billyboy, May 29, 2003.

1. macrumors 65816

billyboy

Two reasons I like being on a computer. One. I have a Powerbook Ti, and second, at any time of day I just look out over the terracotta rooftops to that "little hill" in the background and think, yep, this is a good spot to be working.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I can see out my window which shows the part across the screet, my local (small) shopping area and uh, my computer.

3. macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

My wall and an LCD monitor.

There's nothing like being inspired...

:rolleyes:

4. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ah, actually this is a cool thread, I'll have my camera with me tomorrow and post a pic....

So where are you looking towards in that shot?

D

5. macrumors 6502

From my desk I can see the 17-inch PowerBook, eMac, 17-inch iMac and the windows that make up the store-front which are plastered with Apple posters for the .Mac and Macromedia promos.

If I turn my chair to the right, I can see my Apple Product Pro certificate and an Apple "Think Different" poster with Alfred Hitchcock. If I turn a bit to the left, I can see the 12-inch PowerBook and the PowerMac G4 next to the 23-inch Cinema Display. :)

This is at work, of course. My view from home is pretty much just my wall and the random things I have hanging on it. This is above the hutch anyway.. the hutch has all my games, my printer, some CDs and my the monitor for my *gasp* Dell tower. :D :rolleyes:

6. macrumors 603

Less than a foot above my hairline is the slanted, attic ceiling.

About 2 feet to my left is where the ceiling meets the well.

In front and around me are open shelves, just barely large enough to fit my computer setup.

At a 60 degree angle to my right is the window. It's a view of the roof of the house, the entrance to our small parking lot, a wall of small trees, and part of the road.

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

billyboy

The rooftops are in the the north end of the town of Bejar, which is about 180kms due west of Madrid. There is a horrible long uphill drag from Bejar that goes past the "hill" towards Salamanca. We are at 3000 feet in the town, and to the right of the hill and out of the picture is the legendary La Covertilla - a small-time ski resort, but better known as a killer 6 mile/3000 feet hill climb in la Vuelta de Espana road bike race. Depite experiencing the worst winter in memory followed by the highest pollen count imaginable, this is heaven.

One of my students is a high brow computer programer, and he has a similar view to mine from his office. He should be working in Madrid, but he has proven to his bosses that he is the most productive programmer in the company and so he is allowed to work in his home town.

8. macrumors 68040

tazo

Cut outs of mac pictures, a big 'flavors imac' poster, and a bag from the Bellevue apple store. and also a poster I made, that says, "every shot you don't take you can't make".

9. macrumors 68020

P-Worm

What can I see? Two things.

My Mac
    And a lot of garbage

P-Worm

10. Retired

jefhatfield

only one computer desk that i remember had a view...the first mountain on the big sur coast where a ranch was, in northern california...quite a nice view (the computer was my ibook, mac clone, pc laptop, or pc desktop)

now i look at a wood paneled wall and i use the laptops

before that, i looked into a white plaster wall while using a performa, apple II+, or apple IIe at my parent's house

i really never thought about having a view behind my computer because when i use the machine, i am concentrated on working on something...or on being on macrumors;)

11. macrumors regular

A few months ago, on another forum, I attempted to start up a similar thread. Anyway, for that occasion (a few months ago), I decided to make this run-down of my posting area at my mother's house (I apologize in advance for the crappy lighting, etc.):
    [​IMG]

This, of course, would be the view from my posting spot during the night:
    [​IMG]

During the day, I can look out that window and see my mother's fantastic garden. Unfortunately, the only picture I have of the view was taken a couple months ago during that ever-so-delightful snowstorm:
    [​IMG]

Wheeeeeeeee! Pictures are fun! [​IMG]

Arigato,
    Brook

12. macrumors regular

I can see my big ugly Dell and its big ugly CRT (and my TiBook, when I bring it with me), my coffee mug, my Edward Gorey desk calendar, and the wall. I am surrounded by piles of the sort of junk that accumulates in the corners of research labs (I work in the corner of a research lab). Other than that, there's not much to look at. However, if I climb up two stories on a clear day, I can see Mt. Fuji. :)

13. macrumors G3

14. macrumors 6502

Zenith

This is a panoramic picture (made from three seperate pictures of different angles) of my view outside my room at home - where I'm currently working.

Edit: I didn't find the original picture so I had to upload a crappy version with some kind of ugly photoframe effect on it... :p

Attached Files:

15. macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I can just see other peoples gardens outside my window and of course my Macs/PCs.

16. macrumors 65816

I'll take a pic tomorrow outside my window in the room I'm in but from my desk it's just this:

By the way I'm kidding and that's the worst case of lens flare I've ever encountered, sorry 'bout it.

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      53.7 KB
      Views:
  17. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've got a view through the door and another office looking out over Georgetown and VA, but mostly I'm just looking at my computers....lights out too, the lighting sucks and I have a couple cool lamps for lower lighting...:D

D

Attached Files:

18. macrumors 65816

mrjamin

ditto - i bet i've got more crap round mine than you've got round yours - i'll take a pic and upload later on

19. macrumors 65816

mrjamin

What can i say? I'm a skank - they don't call me SkankyStudent for nothing!

edit: sorry it's a pc, the view from behind my iBook varies!

Attached Files:

20. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

is that an ashtry to the left of the keyboard?

21. macrumors 65816

mrjamin

yup and it needs emtying

*leaves comp for a sec to emtpy the ashtray*

22. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

that's just nasty....ugh.

but I'm not a smoker, never was and never will be

And I always thought that smoking around a computer wasn't the best thing? (for the computer, I mean ;) )

D

23. macrumors 65816

mrjamin

No its not the nicest thing in the world - i hate myself for being a smoker but it's VERY hard to give up, especially in the middle of exams! I started when i was 12 - stupidest mistake of my life.

As for damaging the computer; it doesn't really make any difference if your casefans are blowing out of the case, as opposed to sucking in.

24. macrumors 65816

Foxer

Straight ahead: Nothing.

To the Left: Framed, autographed Ted Willimas picture.

To the Right: The various Enterprises from Star Trek and the ceiling-window out into our garden.

I'm a man of varied tastes.

I'll post pictures when I get home.

25. thread starter macrumors 65816

billyboy

Wow, that is one cluttered desk. Do you use the keyboard with your arms either side of the guitar and your legs out at right angles?