What's There To Do In Long Island?

Discussion in 'Community' started by SamIchi, Aug 8, 2005.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I'm pretty sure I'm goin there for a weekend vacation. Any suggestions guys? Is the beach nice? I've never been.

2. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Go to the Hamptons. That's like all resorty and nice. I haven't been to Long Island but like half of my friends live there so I'll ask them for you - but where specifically are you planning on going?

3. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

go to the mall.

no, seriously, I've had fun at Jones Beach the couple times I've been there. It's a really big beach area on the south shore (so there are good waves). there is also an ampitheather there that gets some good acts - It's a cool spot for a show becasue they built it right at the edge of a cove so there is water coming up on either side of the stage.

there are also some vinyards out on long island if you like wine. I went to a wedding at one a couple years ago which was really nice...I forget the name of it though.

on the other hand, if you've never been to nyc either, I'd say head into the city...

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i live on long island, and besides the beach that's about it...
    Theirs port jefferson which is a nice village, Splish splash which is a water park, beach, two apple stores...thats about it....

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

All depends where on long island you're going to be. Mauntauk (sp?) Point is interesting - its all the way at the end of the island and then there are the Hamptons - the beach area for all the people with money.

D

6. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I've been to Port Jefferson.. I live in CT and there is a ferry that takes you there.. it's quite nice. Avoid swimming in the Long Island Sound.. if it's anything like it is here in CT, it's green. Not pretty foam green, polluted green.

7. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Lots to do on Long Island. I live in the city but work on the island. Keep in mine it is a BIG island.

There are 2 Apple stores, Roosevelt Field and Huntington Malls.

Hamptons have some of the nicest beaches in the world and further out, Montauk is beautiful. The Hamptons also have good night life but be prepared to spend big bucks. Lots of nice beaches further west too. Jones Beach has a cool venue for concerts all summer long. Here's a link to the schedule

http://www.tommyhilfigerjonesbeach.com/schedule.html

Quite a few wineries ( I like Pindar) in Suffolk County.

Gambling boats that leave from Freeport.

HTH

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

where do you work? I live in huntington

9. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I work in Uniondale.

10. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I guess we're goin to Jones Beach. Is there like a boardwalk there, w/ a bunch of little shops? What's there to do around there?

Oh And thanks for all the suggestions, greatly appreciated. :D

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I think there's a boardwalk, and their's suffleboard and mini golf (i think) THeres a theater that has alot of concerts during the summer

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hop on the LIE and head west into Manhattan! :)

13. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

We are goin' to be headin' to LI from Manhattan...