Whats this cable about?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by puuukeey, Nov 10, 2005.

1. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

It connects an ipod to your TV

They use the headphone jack on one end, and the other end contains RCA jacks that carry Video (Yellow) and Audio Left (White), and Audio Right (RED)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Interesting link. Pussypoo?

I wonder if it works... Sounds like it does.

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

indeed. I find the URL strange, but the cable looks cool.

4. puuukeey thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not anti apple (although it may seem like that to a bunch on the list) but I just thought it was a bit sleazy... maybe it would save some people on the list acouple bucks

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

What's the jack at the other end of the cable? If it's for a video camera, it's not likely to be ipod connectable, is it?

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

aren't those colors stadardized. aka. would you be allowed to sell it with different colors? i don't think so. maybe its a hoax.

7. mpw Guest

If Apple really have simple swapped the colours around to fool people into paying them for an Apple product I find that really sad and petty.

I don't mind companies etc. haveing they're own way of doing things (like the laughable two pin plugs they use in the US in favour of a proper British three pin;) ) but someting as simple as that just smacks of contempt for their customers.

8. mpw Guest

I'm assuming that Apple's product follows the standard red/whit/yellow config. to connect to the TV but the standard size and shape jack to the iPod is configured so that the pick-ups for those colours are mixed.

9. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Quoting the Apple store about the dock:
    And on the iPod Page:
    If you have the dock an s-video>composite cable (which soms people may have) will work.

However from the iPod itself, you have to have a 3.5mm>component cable to try this hack, instead of buying the Apple one.

Some manufacturers use the 3.5mm "headphone" plug as their TV-out connector, and if you own one of these (as I do) you may be in luck with this hack.
    Remember that no iPods come with the dock as standard any more.
    If I had an iPod video I would try this. Does someone want to lend me a few hundred bucks to test it!? :D

10. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Oh and FYI, the Red, White and Yellow connectors are called "Composite".
    Not to be confused with "Component" outputs (Red, Green, Blue)
    The Yellow connector is the video and the other two are the audio. This is not an Apple convention by any stretch.
    This type of connection (component) is possibly the most basic (and worst quality) available today. Apple should release both HDMI (DVI) and Component cables for the iPod.

11. p0intblank macrumors 68030

That's a cool little hack that I will remember. :)

12. skamin macrumors newbie

This "switcheroo" isn't apple being sleazy as suggested, however. If you look at the mini end of the cable (or a headphone cable for that matter) you see the little rings. A headphone cable has two, an A/V has three - two for audio and one for video. The reason you have to switch when using another manufacturers cable is they typically have a different order of rings becuase A typical video camera doesn't have to use headphones like an iPod.

13. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Isn't that what my post said? I laid out what the Red, White and Yellow Cables did in my first reply.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Your post was far too inconsistent to follow though. You see, you wrote the colours in brackets, but red was in capitals whilst the others were not. It completely threw me. :(

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

Thats what I figured... Apple wouldn't deliberately break the standard. And it needs to be noted that there is tweaking involved because this is a small hack.
    It does make me wonder, though, how many rings does the apple one have, and is the sound on this particular hack mono or stereo?