What's this connector for? (PB 12'')

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ftored, May 31, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

ftored

Sometime ago i broke the connector highlighted in red from the mb of my Powerbook 12'' 1ghz. Thing is the laptop works fine i guess. Even though i think it gets hotter than usually. Anyone know what is it?

AhCxToiUFjnNmtZT.jpg

2. macrumors 6502a

Can you hear a fan running anymore? Especially during processor-intensive tasks? If not, then it's the fan. Judging by its location, and the fact the laptop still works otherwise, it would be my best guess.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

ftored

Well there is a noise coming from the laptop but i cant understand if it is the fan or just the hdd. I have been reading about a fan control program for g4 and I will give it a shot to see if i can hear difference in the noise.

4. macrumors member

zhivago1955

what is it?

I'm in the process of reassembling my PB 12", it appears to be your fan cable connection.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

ftored

Thanks mate. I guess i can't do anything for it so i will have to use it without a fan. Hopefully it won't get that hot for just word processing

6. macrumors 6502

7. macrumors 6502

If there were four wires (red, yellow, white, black) then that is definitely the fan connector. If you're handy with a soldering iron, replacing the connector shouldn't be too difficult, otherwise you'll need to buy a replacement fan. I don't own a 12" so I'm not sure how much heat it puts out, but I really wouldn't recommend running it without the fan. At the very least, invest in a cooling pad for the laptop to sit on. But for this price you can buy a new fan.

8. thread starter macrumors regular

ftored

Thing is i broke the connector off the motherboard and not off the wire that goes to the fan. So i should be soldering it on the mb something that i don't think i can do with as I am not that handy with a soldering iron