what's this monitor connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by homerjward, May 30, 2005.

1. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

first, answer was wrong i didn't look like picture carefully. looks like it was an older video connection that apple had on some monitors. sorry about that.

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

It almost looks like one of those old serial ports or something. I think I have one of those on my PC laptop. Although that's a video card.....so I'm probably wrong.

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

it actually the exact same size and shape of joystick port on a PC.

5. homerjward thread starter macrumors 68030

homerjward

that's what i thought but it can't be :confused:

6. heyimcamcook macrumors newbie

it said something about "other ports" and an apple-rgb port, although i dont know what that is...but someone probably does, google it or something.

7. MacCoaster macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

Washington, DC / Rochester, NY / Lexington, NC
    Yep, it's an Apple-RGB port. It's the same as VGA except in a two row configuration. Apple used this from the Macintosh II to the beige Power Macs.

8. homerjward thread starter macrumors 68030

homerjward

cool, thanks. so it's sorta like adc in that it's a proprietary apple monitor port?

9. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Yep, but the ADC managed to send power through the same cable. There's a outlet on my beige tower to power the monitor, but that still requires two cables.

To use my VGA monitor, I have to use a little converter with tiny switches. Why anyone would want an Apple-RGB card these days is beyond me. Most of those rgb monitors are dead.

10. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

if you would have read everything there was in the description (yes that requires scrolling down I now :D) you would find:

Other Ports Apple-RGB (DB-15) wich is the big one...

this schould make sense when reading the specs on a video card & you see VGA & another port wich later is called Apple RGB... sounds like video connection hmmm doesn't look like ADC so could this be an old connection?? yes...

I would like people to think maybe 5sec longer and reading things more closely before posting questions about the obvious...

but maybe I'm being ignorant...

J