What's up with Canon Speedlite Pricing?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by wheezy, Jan 22, 2007.

1. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

In 2005 I bought a 420EX Speedlite on Amazong for $175 (new from Amazon). Tonight I was helping my friend look for a Flash for her 30D and the exact same flash is now $290 from Amazon. What's up with that?!

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

3. snap58 macrumors 6502

snap58

Probably the value of the dollar (as in down) has more to do with it.

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Amazon isn't selling that flash. It is a private seller through Amazon marketplace selling a USED 420EX flash.

The 430EX is actually the current model and it sells new for $240.

5. hodgjy macrumors 6502

There's a lot more to new flashes than just a light bulb. They have intelligent processing that pre-fires a flash to measure the amount of light before the camera ever releases the shutter. This light is evaluated and then when the camera releases the shutter, the flash is adjusted to give the best exposure.

So, while flashes from a few years ago may be cheaper, the new ones of today have more technology, and thus, higher prices.

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Curiously is there a big difference between a 420EX and a 430EX, besides the name of course :) I don't mind upgrading my gear but at times companies put out "new" devices with minor changes and usually a price increase.

Ed

7. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Read this:
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=113838

8. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Wow :) I was looking forward to getting the 580, but this may just do the trick! Sadly, it can't act as a master :(

9. sjl macrumors 6502

sjl

You don't need it to, though, unless you have two or more flashes. You hardly need a master to drive an off-camera flash if you only have one flash - it's going to be mounted on the camera. (If you want the flash off the camera, you have three choices: get the Speedlite transmitter to drive it; get a hotshoe cord; or get a 580EX or similar.)

So I see nothing wrong with getting the 430EX as the first flash, especially if it does the job you need, and adding a 580EX as the second flash down the road, should you decide to go down that path - that will let you use the 430EX as an "off the camera" flash quite happily.