What's up with "i"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dwd3885, Sep 18, 2005.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Dec 10, 2004
    i've always wondered, what's with the "i" in apple products? How did that start? Does it stand for anything? You know what I'm talking about, the iMac, iPod, iTunes. They all have i!!!!! What's that about?
  2. stridey macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2005
    Massachusetts, Connecticut
    It started with the iMac, and stood for "internet." The idea being that the iMac was internet ready: all you needed to do was plug it into a wall socket and a phone line. Since it pulled Apple out from a rut, the "i" brand name stuck around.
  3. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    i belive whe it was first used( iMac g3) it was for i=internet now it does not really mena anything( juts sounds cool)

know this one is a guees i=my so it would be my tunes and my photos or my Mac but thats just a guess

someone got it fisrt!
  4. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dec 10, 2004
    thanks for the quick responses. appreciate it!
  5. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    Apple likes doing this kind of thing. It makes is kind of enigmatic. Like the old //gs, Granny Smith or Graphics and Sound. The 'I' also pulled in images of being an individual, also connecting back to their 1984 commercial, which was about being an individual. Other 'i' words were attached either overtly by Apple's add campaign, or by media pundits Independent, individualistic, intelligent, etc... This could of backfired, the 'i' could of been associated with all sorts of negative 'i' words, but that never really happend.