What's up with .mac today?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Squonk, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I've been trying to connect for about the last 30 minutes and it's out to lunch aparently. Are they upgrading it today? :eek: [wishful thinking....] :D

2. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Hmmm ye. Mail.app appears to still pick up email from my dotMac account, but I cannot access even www.mac.com at the moment!

There is a new dotMac Webmail coming, if you saw the previews, maybe its today?!

[UPDATE!!] The Gateway error page I get at www.mac.com has been replaced with the friendly "TEMPORARY UNAVAILABLE" page, stating:

3. Squonk thread starter macrumors 65816

Squonk

Good to know what the domain is alive and just the web server is offline. I did see the preview and it looks cool to me! And it is due for some improvements to keep up with the *cough* free *cough* competition.

I suspect that if they were updating, they'd do it during the wee hours of the morning to be seemless to us users - not an unannounced outage during the day. Oh I know, back-ho Bob took out the fiber again... :D

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I disagree..Doing it at this time gives maximum exposure to .Mac..

5. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

They could be finalizing the upgrade to the webmail they have been talking about

6. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

Are these upgrades best done in the am hours?

7. Squonk thread starter macrumors 65816

Squonk

I see your point. It just seems kinda a silly way to rollout an upgrade with an outage. Here's hoping for a new and improved .mac on the other side... :)

8. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

It's a lot like when the Apple store goes down in the morning of a new update.

So it is with .Mac..I think.

[edit] nevermind..Seems it's back up with nothing new. [/edit]

9. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

I have to agree with you there...as daft as it sounds!

10. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

11. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

It was still down for me when I read your post...left it a bit and its now back up...same here, no changes, though it is really really slow, plus the usual text on the webmail login screen about getting a trial account is gone...its just white space (again, could be a slow loading thing still). Still have a feeling tomorrow some time the new version will suddenly appear! Maybe they were just doing some much needed tweaking now??

12. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Well the welcome page is still down and here's the status.
    something could be up.

Attached Files:

13. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

i keep timing out on it as well. SO i am clueless on what they are doing. Maybe it is that revamped webmail thing they promised. :cool:

14. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

Looks like a legit .mac mail issue or maybe one popping up during an update:

Announcement: Repeated prompts for password or server timeout dialog?
    Posted By: DotMac Moderator
    Created in: Forum: .Mac Email On Your Desktop
    Posted: Oct 6, 2006 2:33 PM

We are aware of an issue that can cause an unrequested dialog box to be seen when checking for new messages using an email application such as Mac OS X Mail. This dialog can consist of either a request for the account password or a message informing you that the connection to the mail server has timed out.

Workaround:
    Should you be presented with either of these messages, click the Cancel button which will place your account into offline mode. Then take the account online again by either selecting Go Online from the Mailbox menu or by clicking the lightning bolt icon displayed to the right of the affected account's Inbox folder icon in your mailbox list. This should make your account active again.

If the previous steps do not restore access to your mail, quit and reopen Mail. We appreciate your patience as we work to resolve this.

Sincerely,

The .Mac Team

15. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

do you think this could be from the transition to the intel server os with the xserve release due any tuesday now?