whats up with other browsers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kimcheeboi65, Aug 21, 2006.

1. kimcheeboi65 macrumors member

kimcheeboi65

My main browser that I use is Firefox. I use Opera once in awhile and I've tried safari and camino, but they fail to satisfy my browser needs.

For firefox, it allows me to "force" open in tabs and allow me to switch in between my pressing commandkey + ` or commandkey + (the number). How come camino or safari cannot do those??

It really bothers me. If they actually do, can someone tell me hwo to set it up? or any other easy way to manipulate tabs in safari or camino?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

To switch between tabs in Safari you use cmd+{ and cmd+} to go left and right, respectively.

I don't think you can 'force open' in tabs, but cmd+clicking works.

3. kimcheeboi65 thread starter macrumors member

kimcheeboi65

what do you mean cmd+[ and cmd+]???

-----edit-----

ohh nvm, you mean to go back or forward on the webpage.

I meant having more than one tabs open and be able to switch to another tab using a keyboard shortcut.

4. Fisheke macrumors member

The saft plugin (http://haoli.dnsalias.com/Saft/index.html) allows (among other things) to catch all "new windows and put them in tabs. It's just a pain in teh ass that it's no freeware :(.

The only reason i use Safari (apart from it's great support for web standards) is the fact that it knows how to use the "zoom" button.. Firefox just goes fullscreen and that's a serious waste of space on a 24".

5. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

in camino you switch between tabs by using: command-option right arrow, or left arrow

the last option in the tabs section of the preferences allows you to force new windows to open in tabs.

Attached Files:

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Nope, what I meant was to go left and right between tabs.
    So, push command+{ (which is the same as command+shift+[ ) to go left and cmd+} to go right. Works fine.

7. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I have a Kensington wireless kb with back, forward, and scrolling buttons on the left side, very convenient but it only works in Safari!

8. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

This works in Safari too.

Edit: Oops, it's command+shift+arrow to switch between tabs in Safari.

9. kimcheeboi65 thread starter macrumors member

kimcheeboi65

what version of camino are you using? I don't have the last option of "force" opening in tabs.

I'm using 1.0.2

10. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

I'm using one of the recently nightly builds. Switched from the stable version when they added spell checking I believe.

http://www.caminobrowser.org/download/releases/nightly/

The only bug that remains in Camino that I find better handled in other browsers (safari) is keychain support. Safari seems to handle multiple logins for single domains better than Camino. Other than that I find Camino has them all beat.