Whats up with Tiger and Fat32?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacTruck, Jul 11, 2005.

1. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Got a Fat32 volume that I used on Panther no problem. On Tiger it keeps crashing finder. Is this a known issue?

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Don't think so. I've got a large (80GB) FAT32 volume on an external drive that's been working without issue.

3. MacTruck thread starter macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Well it works on my XP machine. Just when I plug it into Tiger it crashes. I am going to transfer my data off of it and format it Mac OS Extended. Should I make it journaled or not? What is journaled anyways?

4. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I have a 200 gig FAT32 that works like a charm on Tiger.

5. MacTruck thread starter macrumors 65816

MacTruck

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Very recently, a lot of simple things have been making Finder restart for me. It didn't happen until the past week or so. :rolleyes: Little dumb things, like deleting folders and doing Exposé hotcorner drag and drops with spring-loaded folders.

Are you pretty sure that it's only accessing your FAT32 that crashes finder?

Is there a plist file worth deleting?

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yes, my external drive crashed a TON when I named it anything longer than MAXTOR.....:(...I tried to name it HD_ITASOR

8. MacTruck thread starter macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Looks like the problem was the USB external drive enclosure. Won't work with larger than 120gb hard drives. Hmmm.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

But it worked in Panther? Strangeness. :(

10. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

The journaled file system, which will run atop the Mac's traditional HFS file scheme, will be switched off by default; users will be able to switch it on via the command line, sources said. They reported that while [the Journal process] runs in the background, enabling the journaled file system will slow current system performance by 10 percent to 15 percent.

The journaled file system, which will automatically log any file modifications. If your computer crashes badly enough to require a restart (or a restart from a power failure), the OS will then use the journal to aid in fixing any disk problems caused by the crash. Mac OS X 10.3 ships with journaling on by default.

Taken from two different sources.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Or, to put in into English ;), basically it eliminates the need for a filesystem check ("Verify Disk" in Disk Utility) after a crash. It's recommended to turn journalling on if you're running 10.3 or later.