Whats upgradable and whats not

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by HeyMAC, Sep 15, 2004.

1. HeyMAC macrumors newbie

HeyMAC

Im planning on buying a 17" 1.8 ghz iMac g5 for school,music,photos,web design,flash. My basic question is what is upgradable and whats not on the 1.8?

2. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

the ram.

they say the logic board i think but that only really makes sense for reapirs.

i think thats about it

3. HeyMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

HeyMAC

4. Jsmit macrumors regular

Yes, you can put an airport express in later.

5. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

From http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86812

Think you need a new part? You can replace many of your iMac G5's parts yourself.

The iMac G5 is designed to make it easy for you to install replacement parts if you need to. The parts you can install yourself are:

AirPort Extreme Card
    Memory - DDR 400 MHz (PC3200) SDRAM
    Hard drive
    Optical drive
    Power supply
    LCD display
    Modem card
    Mid-plane assembly (contains the main logic board, the G5 processor, fans, NVIDIA graphics processor, and so forth).

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Although, that doesn't include the Bluetooth module.

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I think third party products will make upgrades for the imac G5. Like a logic board with a better GPU built in like the 5200 is. They might also make CPU upgrades. But, only time will tell.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Considering the CPU/GPU/etc would have to be exact drop in replacements -- It's possible, and been done before for CPUs though I don't know if it would be worthwhile for a GPU.

Considering people still haven't overclocked a G5 yet, and 3rd parties really haven't started cranking out PPC970 machines yet -- it is probably something that's a ways away (since the new processors would have to be cooler than the old one, which takes awhile to do -- a year in Motorola's case.)