Whats with all the deer?

Discussion in 'Community' started by EJBasile, Mar 18, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I was driving home last night and a family of deer ran right out in front of me. I slammed on my breaks and swerved and thankfully avoided them. That incident was the closest one so far. This is becoming a serious problem in my area.

My neigbor hit one in her BMW messing up the hood, grill, and front end of the car. Another person that lives in my nieghborhood hit 2 deer in his Mercedes wrecking the front end and right front side. A friend of mine and his wife were driving home and hit a deer in their volvo. My friends friends daughter a week ago hit a deer but lucky did no no damage to her car. Another family near me were driving their new expedition and hit one. My cousin in another part of the state totalled her Maxima by hitting a deer. All these have happened in the past 2 monthes I would say.

I don't know whats going on. These deer must be reproducing like rabits! Quite offenly I wake up and see them in my back yard. Does anyone else have this problem near them?

2. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

thats what happens when people and nature collide, its not the deer invading our land it is people invading their land.

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I get them in the back yard occasionally and see some dead ones by the road now and then. Hunting season really helps keep them out of the road and yards though.

4. stillwater macrumors regular

I read somewhere that there are more deer now than in colonial times due at least in part to the fact that the predators (wolves, mountain lions) that once kept them in check are no longer around to eat them.

And we all know who killed all the wolves, mountain lions etc. Us, or our ancestors anyway.

5. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Yea but the thing is where I live there has not been a housing devolpement made in at least 15 years. Just a few new houses over the years. The houses are pretty spread out from eachother due to regulations.

Yes hopefully hunting season will get rid of some of them but I'm not sure many people hunt where I live or if your allowed to.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It would seem that a lot of them are being culled via car accidents. A very sad way to end a life though. We have had a problem with wolves in the suburbs North of Boston. They were attacking pets and a couple of children. Maybe we should transfer some of them your way. :(

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm not sure why the sudden explosion of deer in your area, but the kind of area you describe is perfect deer habitat. Houses spread far apart with plenty of lush, well-tended foliage to browse and lightly forested areas for protection. I've read where the NE has seen a huge growth in the deer populations as lot sizes get larger and larger. It's not just the NE though, but a national phenomenon.

On the other hand, wouldn't you think some kind of natural selection would be occurring? I've often thought it odd that deer don't figure out that roads are areas of death. They reproduce quickly enough and they aren't stupid...

8. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I think there are less deer hunters now than there have been, say, ten years ago. Another reason is their habitat has changed. They are 'safer' living closer to humans were they can breed and eat a-plenty.

9. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

10. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Peter Egan, editor at large of Road & Track Magazine, wrote a mini treatise on exactly your deer problem in either this or last month's issue. His monthly column is called Side Glances, and its pretty well written.

11. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

At least we're not driving into a fleeing wolf or mountain lion.

oh wait... wouldn't that be a good thing if the wolf or mountain lion was carrying off our children or pets?

I just love nature. Thankfully we are nature too.

12. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Couldn't Resist...

I am fortunate to live on the shore of Lake Erie, and my computer room looks out onto the beach. Here's a photo I snapped from my desk this week -- couldn't resist posting it when I saw this thread!

Attached Files:

13. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    watch the Ring 2...that might answer your question about the deer

14. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

20 years ago, my dad hit a deer while we were traveling through Alberta on route to a party. The deer died. We loaded it into our van and drove off.

Later that night, we ate the deer. The meat was absolutely delicious. But then an RCMP officer rang the doorbell and inquired about the deer.

15. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

There is an old law in the UK about what exactly is "fair game".

It goes something like the person who hits the deer is not allowed to take it but it's ok for the next person who comes along to take it to eat or sell.

something weird like that to stop people from doing it on purpose, if that were anything like predictable or easy. :confused:

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I thought it was coyotes that have been causing the problems around here. Could be wrong, though! Wolves tend not to trouble people, contrary to popular belief.

17. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I woke up this morning and I vividly remember dreaming about deer. They were all over the place. I would be having a normal dream and then here would come a doe and two fawns... I kept shooing them away.

18. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

like this? ;)
    [​IMG]

19. Space Cadet macrumors newbie

It's not a deer explosion

Twice a year deer migrate between winter and summer feeding grounds; they often use the same route generation after generation, although the routes vary a bit. March and April are prime migration times.

When you see a Deer Crossing sign, for example, that was probably placed there by the Dept. of Transportation (depending on your state, with help from Ecology/Wildlife) to warn drivers that this is a place where deer tend to cross during migration, for the next mile or so (deer's MMV year to year).

The deer population has been pretty high in the U.S. for decades; no one is sure exactly why. But the more ex-urban development there is, the more chance we have of making contact with them.

Once I knew a guy whose plate glass first-story window had been smashed by a young buck. It bled out all over his kitchen, dining room and suntanning room (he was stinking rich). It managed to wobble over to a nearby golf course where it died. The local safety dept. came to pick it up and one of the lieutenants took the deer home for dinner. The main drag to town was seasonally littered with deer corpses — it was pretty bad. To think the majority of these people were white-flighters trying to escape the few-and-far-between dangers of the city only to run an obstacle course cracked me up.

20. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

One word: venison. Yum yum.
    Have to extend deer hunting season. Increase bag limits.
    Not many natural predators for deer in the northeast. They have been having a population boom too. Time to oil up the ol' Ruger .30-06 and head out.

21. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Or your state could do what they do in Sweden: erect fences on both sides of major highways - mile after mile - which block any animal migration onto the road. Overkill? I'm not the one driving 30 miles an hour in broad day light fearing for my fenders' lives!

Edit: you should really check out that Peter Egan column I mentioned earlier in this thread - at least if you're interested in the deer and roadway topic beyond my (and others') non sequiturs here.

22. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I just saw the Ring 2

Theres this scene when rachel and aden are driving down this country road and these deer start attacking the car.

LOL

23. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Around here you hit a deer, then you call the game commission. They come and issue you a hunting license for it. It doesn't count towards your quota either.

I have a friend who works for the department of the interior. Hlaf of his job is hunting deer.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Coyotes would be my guess too. They tend to scavenge more than wolves so it makes them perfect for living in/around populated areas. There have only been a handful of documented cases of healthy wolves attacking humans in the entire history of the US.

I love it how people will bend over backwards to "protect" "cute" animals but have no problems slaughtering anything that isn't warm and fuzzy looking. Never mind the fact that all plants and animals have a purpose in their respective ecosystems.

Nature has an amazing set of checks and balances, but mankind tends not to care and just comes in ham-handedly to screw things. And then we have the gall to blame the screw up on nature.

lethal