Whats with burning through the Finder?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by RiseAgainst, Sep 1, 2004.

1. RiseAgainst macrumors regular

Jun 10, 2003
    Why is it that when I want to burn a DVD or CD through the Finder it physically makes a copy of all the files i want to burn. Doing it this was makes you have to wait for all the files to copy and have the space for it, thats an extra almost 9 gigs of extra space if you have a dual layer DVD recorder.

How come Toast does not work this way? Am i missing something?
  2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    That just the way it is in the Finder. You always have to copy data when burning in the Finder.

If you don't want to wait for 9GB of data to be copied, use toast.

But for me, copying is ok, because I hate having to open up Toast and keep it open until it's finish burning. It's not worth it to me to keep toast open while burning 9GB+ of data.

But I do hope that live burning is added to Tiger.
  3. osprey76 macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I think it was done this way to help avoid buffer underruns when burning. That's really not an issue with modern burners, though. I must say I do like how WinXP handles it. You can burn multiple files in multiple sessions and the OS just presents it as one continuous disk with all of the files that have ever been burned to it.
  4. stcanard macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2003
    I must admit I've never bothered to try burning a multi-session CD or DVD in finder yet. How does OSX present it? I had just assumed I would see one continuous disk, as that's how they were presented under Linux too.
  5. boomtopper macrumors member

Mar 25, 2004
    UK Huddersfield
    I find burning mult session cds a trouble with finder becuase you have to use disc utility. But i must agree with you about windows burning osprey76 but i don't like how windows gives you a wizard to do it.