What's with CD-RW slot load?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by rosteduck, Dec 14, 2001.

1. rosteduck macrumors newbie

Right when I was planning to get the TiPB with the CD-RW, they ran out of it! Does anyone knows what's with that? and when will it be available again? or is it because Apple is trying to have something new to replace that or something?

2. dantec macrumors 6502a

My impression is, that Apple never really had a very large amount of these slot-loading CD-RW drives. They probabely figured that they had enough stock for a couple months until the next shipment came in. The wierd thing is none of us have heard about any cure to those problems.

Another thing, even wierder is that if you order it off the Swiss apple store there is no delay. It says you can get a powerbook CD-RW in 8 days!

3. rosteduck thread starter macrumors newbie

wow.... how come and why Swiss apple store? Just curious...

4. dantec macrumors 6502a

Switzerland... The land of snow, yodeling & cheese (urgh!)

In Switzerland Powermacs are VERY VERY popular (same thing with france). Powerbooks come and go. But iMacs really is the product here that has taken off... I have 3 apple stores in my area and all three can fill their stores up to the rim (almost) with iMacs. They call it a wall of iMacs (it is actually which fill half the store).

Just a note though, the Swiss online Apple store is never really accurate... They said my iPod would take 25 days to come and it actually took 2. But my friend ordered a powerbook the other day WITH a cd-rw drive and it took him the exact 8 days.

;):);)

5. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

switzerland

I hope to visit Switzerland some day..

Meine Grossemutti und Grossevater commt auf der Switzerland.

(I am guessing at my German, it's been a while)

6. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Not a bad shot.

'Mein Grossvater und meine Grossmutter kommen aus der Schweiz'

7. sweetaction macrumors regular

8. t^3 macrumors regular

If this is true, then Apple has finally found a supplier of slot-loading combo drives, and we will most likely see a combo drive model in the next iMac, whatever it may look like.

9. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Switzerland is so perfect that people kill them self you to do something different.

10. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

eh?

i didn't understand that last one venezuela, but I sure hope they don't kill just to do something different! geez.. think different, but not that much!

der Schweiz! that's right! I knew that..

11. groov' macrumors regular

schweizerisch - schweserist?

Not a bad shot. - 'Mein Grossvater und meine Grossmutter kommen aus der Schweiz'

But that's correctly spelled grammarish german, isn't it?

The "german-speaking" part of the Swiss people is definitely better represented by "Meine Grossemutti ... usw" than by the correct(ion).

As their funny language sounds, Swiss people are very conservative. I wonder why so many of them do like apples.

(mmm, I'm not from Switzerland, neither one of their northern neighbors)

12. dantec macrumors 6502a

Switzerland

I'm a cross between swiss, american & italian. Many swiss here (and french maybe, i don't live in france) are craving for a couple apple retail stores (just one in Zurick & Geneva for example).

The average swiss has a nice lifestyle and it doesn't seem to bother him to buy a more expensive Macintosh. The only market that isn't popular for Macs in Switzerland is the youngsters. Most of the PC sales are driven by youngsters who still think the mac has no games and can't wait a month or two for a game.

What I love about living in switzerland is all the games you buy come in english (I hate games in french, the translated voices never sound the same). Here in Switzerland you don't find very many Macsoft games (who else thinks they have horrific support and don't give a damn?) but Aspyr really pushes to sell its games in Europe (but thankfully all their bi-tri lingual games let you switch back to english ;))

But many aged people here (60+) actually are quite informed about the tech world, and even diehard PC users recommend the elderly an iMac. iMac's pop up in many buisnesses, even my local cinema has cubes at the ticket booth (with 15" displays)!.

You all should visit switzerland. Very nice country, but just a note to you all, I live in the Swiss French part (I do speak german, but avoid it if possible).

13. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

What is up with that??

Im a bit confused... were the hell did that come from?

14. dantec macrumors 6502a

Well...

Well Venezuala wrote it. That explains it all!

15. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

16. AJW macrumors newbie