What's with Macs and DV-Pro compression?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mymemory, Apr 17, 2003.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I really need help here, for several month I have been doing animations in After Effects and every time I output them in DV or DV-Pro the movie looks very blured.

Then I use Jpeg B compression and it lokks perfect, then I take that movie in Quicktime and export it in DV and the same thing... blured a lot.

Then I was trying a soft called Artmatic Pro (I recommend it) that si a software to create animated fractals. I took a clip captured from a DV camera with iMovie, I aplied some effects and export it in the same format and boom! the same result.

Why is that?

It happend to me with QT 6 in 9.2.2 and OSX as well. When I capture with iMovie everything looks fine but once I export something it looks terrible. I know it could be the fields but I do not mess with that.

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: What's with Macs and DV-Pro compression?

I've been told that this is normal and that when you burn it to a DVD it looks fine. Have you tried making a DVD and how does it look?

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

DV is a compressed format (5:1 compression w/4:1:1: color sampling) so what it sounds like you are seeing is the difference between an uncompressed animation being compressed into DV.

Lethal

4. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

Not really because when I create something in After Effects it looks blury but when I play a clipin QT captured with iMovie it looks perfect. I have been dealing with thsi problem for a long time and I do not have any body that can explain that to me.

Do you have that problem? try taking any movie and export it to DV. I can go from Cinepack to Sorenson with the expected results but no reason that something that is not compresed looks blured in DV.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Maybe you have a settings issue? I've been using AE w/FCP for a year now and I've never had any issues like you are describing.

Lethal

6. cc bcc macrumors 6502

Make sure you have Quicktime Pro and turn on High Quality in the video properties (command-j). This makes DV material look good (high quality interlaced->progressive) when played in the Quicktime Player.

7. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Re: Re: What's with Macs and DV-Pro compression?

That is generally the case... DV is a format made with the finished project in mind: a television set

8. gernb macrumors regular

DV is great for a lot of things, animation and motion graphics aren't two of them. It's a codec that comes with some compromises. If your final out put is TV or DVD you'll probably be ok. If your final out put is playback on a computer via quicktime, embedded media in powerpoint, etc. you'll be much better off using a different codec. MPEG-4 has worked great for me.