what's with Team OS X ?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by meeble, Oct 16, 2004.

1. meeble macrumors member

how did they explode into the point monster they are today?

i have this strange desire to help push them over the 100K mark...

: : : meeble

2. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

This isn't necessarily an answer but just something to chew on. When I started Folding (first week of April 2004) I was member number 1100 (approx.) now team 3446 has 1536 members as of 10/16/04. My status now is #425. OK that said My computer is a converted G3 (Sonett G4-500 cpu) and I run OS X 10.2.8 24/7 (648mg RAM) I leave it on 24/7 and have only had to restart 3 times since April. So if I can come up the ranks from 1100 to 425 that quickly with a underpowered machine, that leads me to believe that most of the other members are not doing the upmost to get the job done. If every member of our team was as dilligent as I was we would be very dominant. :rolleyes:

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

In 2002, Team MacOSX was in the 20s, we were in the 30s. Partway through 2003, we got a few people with several x86 PCs which boosted us past Team MacOSX and as far as #18 without the aggregates.

After an article about folding@home and Team MacOSX appeared of Apple's website early this year, people flocked to the team and they once again passed us.

We've had a lot of people fold 1 work unit over the last two years. You can see that you have to pass a lot of inactive users to get to the top. Many people want instant gratification.

4. meeble thread starter macrumors member

i just can't wait to see a mac team in the top 10...

i may help them out a bit as well as team 3446, I hope I don't get too much flack from the MacRumors bunch.

: : : meeble

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Well, my iMac goes 24/7/365 unless I need to install something (software update) that requires a restart, but that is only a momentary pause...

If we all donated a dollar, would that be enough to rent out the Virginia Tech supercomputer for ~20 minutes to fold? How many WU/Points would we gain?

It would be "Fweakin Awesome!"
    And if I can, I want to install it on my mom's 3.06 Ghz P4 HT. :D

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

For the last year or so, I've been folding 24/7 on a Celeron 633. However, a couple of weeks ago, the CPU burned out so it's not folding anymore :(

I try to fold on my G4/1.25 when I remember (it's running at the moment), but I often forget to start it back up when I've finished doing something CPU-intensive.

7. meeble thread starter macrumors member

so will I be outlawed, excommunicated, hog-tied, and banished if I fold some for Team OS X ?

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Zero. We would need a few hours to complete one work unit, 2.3 GHz processors or not. One CPU to one work unit. Give us 24 hours and that might change our position a bit. :)

meeble:

To me, it doesn't matter which team gets your points, as long as your machine is folding. I'm looking to the cures, not the points so much.

9. meeble thread starter macrumors member

that's the way i feel as well, but it *is* cool to have a Mac based team hit 100,000k per day...

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I thought that the whole point of building it was to make everything go faster by using em all at once? :confused: But 1500 computers, right? *2 processors, =3000 doohickies to fold...damn it is late, too late to do basic math....a huge amount of WUs!!

BTW, my Username is Mechcozmo, and I fold for team 3446....in case you do get those Xserves running....:D

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Projects have to be tailored to run across multiple processors, at this time. It may appear to you that they all split one piece and work on it in a certain way, but I assure you that not all distributed projects work that way, not yet.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I really hope that you will consider folding for us full time. Just noticed that we have fallen to #20 and Team OS X is #14. In the end it is all for disease research. Since you are a member of MacRumors it would really be appreciated if you would help our team. ;)

13. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

This is a pretty cool stats page that show everyone in the team with their stats relative to everyone else. You can see just how many people aren't producing anything for the team.

Extreme Overclocking

14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

*feels post coming to him slapping him in the face*

OWWW.

15. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

16. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

all of those and more.

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

my folding #'s should start going up again. I've got no A/C and live in LA so having my home machines running for extened periods of time just isn't cool (pun intended) but now that the weather is cooling down I'll welcome the heat my procs will kick out. :)

Lethal

18. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

174th and growing fast...

• two P4 2.8gigs,
    • one PIII 800
    • one Athlon XP1800
    • one 1.5Ghz G4

:)

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Does that mean that you're an expert in hog-tying? :D