What's With the Fallout?

Discussion in 'Community' started by themadchemist, Oct 31, 2004.

1. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It seems a number of long-standing members have been swearing off the forums these days. Good or bad, it's happening. What does everyone think about it? Please, let's not make this personal. Instead, let's try to discuss this as a trend instead of citing specific instances and accusing particular people of things.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Every online community goes through phases like this with waves of autospanks sooner or later. Growth inevitably changes the character of the community (just like in real life), longstanding personality conflicts inevitably boil over given enough time, pressures in real life make unrelated trivial annoyances seem worse than they are, and so on.

One downside to a successful, growing community is that things which used to be little problems become bigger problems. Over time, moderators have to gradually cut less and less slack to keep the "if they can do it, so can I" syndrome from swallowing the place whole.

And as always, the lack of body language in places like this gets in the way. It's so easy to offend the world and be completely oblivious to it, and it's much harder to take back words.

So, um, it's business as usual, nothing to see here, move along...

3. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

It would be fitting to quote that entire message, since every word of it is spot-on, but I hate huge quotes, so there is that.

A lot of it is the political rhetoric (which I find tiresome, but it doesn't really bother me enough to make me stop reading) Another thing is the political correctness. For people who take so much pride in the "think different" idea, they don't really want anyone to think differently. They want everyone to be on the Political Correctness bandwagon. They insist on having the right to flaunt whatever THEY believe, but anyone stating anything contrary is a bigot, or phobic, or a neanderthal. Whatever.

You want to know why postings in the forums are down? Because a lot of people are tired of seeing everything they post dissected and psychoanalyzed in an effort to prove that any idea that is contrary to THE SACRED POLITICALLY CORRECT MANTRA is rooted in some kind of defective thought. I stopped replying to most messages that I had thoughts or opinions on after what happened to other people who did. People here say they want forums for discussion, but what people here really want are people to tell them that what they believe is exactly right, and that no other thought should ever see the light of day.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yep. A good rule of thumb with forums, mail lists etc. is that if someone seems to be offended or strongly objects to something you wrote, apologize (if appropriate), and drop the conversation cold.

About the worst response to someone taking umbrage is to chime in with "but I have a right to say that!" or something along a similar theme. Well, um, that should have been obvious already, because the words got out there and someone was able to be annoyed by them. Repetition is just going to reinforce the annoyance of those who were originally annoyed, and additionally annoy those who simply don't want the repetition.

Unfortunately it seems to take a long time to figure this out, and there's always someone new who has to learn the same lessons :(

5. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Here, here, but this is true with most people everyday in "real" life. Most people can't seem to grasp the concept that their thought may or may not be right and that others may feel different and that that is OK.

My two cents.

6. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

exactly.

The "thought police" are hideous. They obviously don't know who they are or they wouldn't do it so sincerely, they'd dress it with a bit of comedic subtlety that would give one of the many alternatives without believing there is some handbook that can be quoted to defend anything politically correct.

The world/nature will never be one thing or the other and it most definitely isn't hanging about with a smug PC grin on its face somewhere in the middle. It will never resolve into a clean handbook answer, nature is dependent on continuosly generating difference and the potential for its difference.

Political Correctness is making it very difficult to add up the world and come out with a positive number. On the days that it does it's solely down to the ones who decided to ignore the handbook and take up the slack, at no charge to those around them.

The human being is the most efficient form of tolerance and equalisation. A "PC-droid" who thinks that education for a small portion of human existance will flatten the oceans to a universal mill pond is sadly misguided.

I also think that people should strive to avoid the need for forgiveness rather than relying on a handbook that allows for and dictates forgiveness for the ones listed. Try remembering to appreciate the moments of life's mill pond as a sedative for the daily struggle of calming the ocean that is our 3D representation of "us" as a whole.

so there you have it, a freak ripple that someone decided to start a thread about. everything seems normal on Macrumors.

If you think you have it tough do a google for Epidermolysis Bullosa

I think if people want a handbook book of what's fair and what's not, they should start at the bottom. How about a "worse off than you thread" if we've decended into dicussing how things aren't as good as they were.

Epidermolysis Bullosa or Jonny Kennedy. - Feeling sorry for yourselves, I challenge you to find an existance worse than that.

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i've noticed a lot of completely uneccessary political flaming in threads that have nothing at all to do with politics. maybe election year jitters are getting to people. (not that this is a good excuse, try living in DC... sheesh)

also, the little barbs and jabs at other users in posts is pretty lame. again, i don't see it often, but when i do it really rubs me the wrong way- even if it isn't about me. we all have our own ideas and we all need to respect each other for that...

8. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Is this really a huge problem? Has there been that many members up and leave?

I read the thread started by King Cobra and didn't really think he had a leg to stand on. I would agree that some folks need to be a little more sensitive in their responses but it's no reason to get your underroos in a knot. Just let it slide.

I think much of it stems from senior members feeling they should command more respect because of their 5000+ posts. When a newb or relative newb challenges them and perhaps even shows disrespect then egos get bruised. And when egos get bruised people decide they want to take their bat and ball and go home. Most times making a scene before leaving just to see if they have any back-up or support. Really they're trying to find justification for their actions.

9. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

themadchemist

While this is often the case, I think it would be very unproductive to always agree to disagree. As you said, the point is to discuss, and a little healthy (even vociferous) debate can be useful. Certainly, name-calling isn't right, but the presentation of views, even forcefully, is generally a good thing. I don't think you should take it as an affront that someone questions or disputes your views. Rather, it should be an opportunity to argue the point in a respectful manner. Sure, you probably won't convince each other, but you might learn a thing or two or modify your views slightly.

For example, I'm highly unlikely to dramatically change my political leanings...However, when I found out that party x supporters were doing similar things to what party y supporters were, I started to make sure that I didn't make blanket statements about party y supporters and that I did mention that both sides do it...It's a start in at least being able to respect each other, even through disagreement and argument.

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

it's an internet forum. people come, people leave, it's really not worth the drama... i really think people who expect their own drama to impact an internet community to be naive and silly. I'm not singling people out here, this is a blanket statement. But my life isn't so dull as to be affected deeply by the loss of individuals on a messageboard, honestly.

I mean, MR is a great place because we have an unusually good group of people, but at the end of the day, it's still just another forum. There are thousands like it, and they don't live forever.

paul

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, MacRumors like all other sites are static. Changes are inevitable. I don't really see any big changes in the over all posting patterns.