Whats with the right click lag time

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EasyB, Dec 8, 2005.

1. EasyB macrumors member

EasyB

Why does it take the contextual menus a few seconds to open? 80% of the time they pop right up, but when they don't it can be very frustrating. Especially if all you wanted to do was a quick command+c or something that you could of done faster with the keyboard had you known that your right click or ctrl click was going to take 4 sec to open. I know it is not a lot of time, but shouldn't this be loaded into memory already? Is there anyway to speed this up?

Thanks in advance
    -B:mad:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

But that'd be at the expense of something else. There's only ever so much memory to go around. :(

Not that I know of, sorry. :eek:

If OSX is lagging for you generally, then the first step I'd take is to check Activity Monitor to make sure there's no process taking up extraordinary amounts of RAM or CPU. :)

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

It's always been this way. And it's on my list of peeves. I have a dual 2.3 G5 running smoothly, and the contextual menu is really slow. It seems to be based on how many items you have selected when you do it. If I were to select 100 images and control click, it would take a few seconds longer than control-clicking a few images. It's a pain in the ass. And I have plenty of RAM. You'd think this would be easy enough for them to iron out.

4. EasyB thread starter macrumors member

EasyB

I agree, I have 2 gigs of ram in my powerbook. I would love to allocate a little memory toward it. Not that I would go back, but the contextual menus would pop right up on my piece of sht 700mhz sony vaio with 256megs of ram.

5. portent macrumors 6502a

Don't know...my context menu comes up as soon as I can press the button.

Sure you haven't installed any haxies that add items to the menu?

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Well apps add themselves to the 'open with' menu. I have Adobe Creative Suite as well as Macromedia Studio... and I also have a few Automator plug-ins in there.

Do a test for us and select a whole wad of images (like 30 or more) and control-click on them. How fast does the menu open?

7. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

That's weird; I have a dual 2.5 with 1.5GB of RAM and I've never seen this in over a year of usage. Doing some tests now, I have to select well over 100 items before I see any sort of delay.

--Eric

8. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Do you have Adobe Creative Suite or Macromedia Studio installed?

9. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Indeed. Why exactly does Creative Suite install like 60 .exe programs that show up whenever I choose "Open With..." on an image file?

10. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

There was a thread on here about how to remove all that context menu clutter Creative Suite puts in there, and somebody actually figured it out. I don't remember who but I plan on looking it up again and seeing if it speeds my menu up.

11. portent macrumors 6502a

On a 1.5GHz PowerBook with 512MB (ugh...) of RAM, 35 JPEGs...slight hesitation when opening the menu, about 2 seconds to show the Open With submenu the first time. After the first time, it seems to be cached; the menu opens instantly and the submenu after a slight hesitation. (FYI, there are 14 apps that appear in that submenu on this system.)