what's wrong with Mac browsers?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dshootist, Feb 16, 2006.

1. dshootist macrumors member

Feb 4, 2005
    this may seem really dumb, but i can't view some images on Sports Illustrated's Swimsuit 06 web page with any of these Mac browsers (Camino, Firefox, Safari or IE). WTF?:confused:
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    perhaps a link or a more specific point of reference to the page(s) that you're having trouble with would help.
  3. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Ever stop to think it's not the browsers, but your internet connection? I just checked the site, flipped through a few galleries and had no problem viewing images.
  4. jotamurray macrumors member

Apr 30, 2005
    Problems with e bank pages

I have problems surfing E bank pages (i.e ebankinter.com / cajamadrid.es)
    When i log in (almost always) ebankinter safari crushes.
  5. dshootist thread starter macrumors member

Feb 4, 2005
    while i wasn't referring to Mac browsers as a whole, but my current browsers, here's a little more specificity as to the issue here: i am running 10.3.9 on a 1GHz PB using Safari 1.3.2 (v312.5). i checked on my server (an Xserve G4 1GHz) running Safari 1.2.4 (v125.12) and my workstation (a dual 1.25GHz G4) also running Safari 1.3.2 (v312.5). attached are the screenshots i got from the versions listed. all connections are through our LAN 10/100/1000 Ethernet connection. on the left is the screen image i get with my PB both connected to the LAN and through my wireless network at home. on the right is what both the Xserve and my G4 at work show. with the exception of the Xserve all machines have been updated through Software Update. any suggestions?:confused:

Attached Files:

6. bootedbear macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Some sites will never work correctly in any other browser than IE for Windows since that's the way the sites were written.

Stupid sites, not stupid browsers.
  7. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003

Best thing you can do if you come by a site that doesn't display correctly is to give the webmaster feedback about it. Sometimes they're unaware of the problem or sometimes they will budge when they see there is demand for standard compliant sites.
  8. ginner macrumors member

Jan 6, 2004
    Yorkshire, England
    I'm new to mac, but if the other pictures and ad are animated (which they look like they might be) then it's probably a flash/shockwave plugin?
  9. kdawg macrumors regular

Dec 14, 2004
  10. dshootist thread starter macrumors member

Feb 4, 2005
    ...but i'm using the same browser and getting different results...
  11. faintember macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    the ruins of the Cherokee nation
    It works fine for me on 10.4.4 running Safari 2.0.3.

I used to have similar problems running Safari 1.x.x
  12. dshootist thread starter macrumors member

Feb 4, 2005
    well, after 24 hours of cracking my head against the keyboard trying to figure this out, i remembered what a tech taught me once upon a time: check your safety software. it looks like Allume's Internet Cleanup has been disrupting my recent image-viewing with its NetBlockade. after i turned it off, Safari, Camino, and IE all displayed not only the banners, but the thumbnails as well. Firefox was not so lucky, so i may have to dig deeper for that resolution. thanx fer da help!
  13. mileslong macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    you might find it easier to navigate through the website if you could use two hands...;)
  14. altair macrumors regular

Nov 22, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I think we are going to need to see some more pictures of the web pages you are having difficulty with :p
  15. MrSmith, Feb 17, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

MrSmith macrumors 68040

Nov 27, 2003
    I always think squeezing one's breasts together to accentuate cleavage is one way to focus attention on one's swimsuit :rolleyes: