All iPads What's wrong with me? Why do I want an iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Johnny Steps, Feb 4, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

I have an iPad 3 and my friends recently got an iPad mini and they let me fiddle with it a bit. I immediately wanted it!

Why? Like if it had retina, I'd probably do something to buy it.

But why do I want something smaller? I have an iPhone 5... that should be sufficient.

X(

2. macrumors G3

Because your parents never taught you self control. :D

1. Buy the Mini
    2. Try the Mini
    3. Return the Mini if you don't like it. If you do sell your 3.

3. macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Retina or not, I like my iPad Mini. I sold my iPad 3 64gb for a Mini 64gb and the experience feels the same. Really the retina screen isn't needed on the Mini IMHO.

4. macrumors 601

No idea. Your OP doesn't tell us enough so you're best equipped to answer. Could be that you just want one because your friends have them. Could be for other reasons. Again, it's impossible for anyone else to tell you.

5. macrumors 6502

I bought an iPad 4 64gb and an iPad mini 32gb.

I prefer the iPad mini for most of my uses.

I'll use the iPad 4 from time to time. But the mini gets the most usage. I prefer it's amazing form factor. Gaming is just perfect on it.

6. macrumors 6502a

It's cute, but not giving it a retina display to begin with would make me feel cheated, since i'd feel they didn't give it one so that people would need to buy the next version.

I'd just feel like I'd been conned.

7. Guest

The only thing lacking is the lack of retina screen.

I love my iPad Mini.

It's the size and weight. My preference for a tablet is 7" to 8".

8. macrumors newbie

The Ipad Mini is great i didnt want the full sized one, i got it mainly to keep me off my Iphone 5 while at home watching tv.

9. macrumors demi-goddess

costabunny

I knew it had no 'retina' and that the next version likely will have; yet I don't feel cheated - The display is lovely as is and does everything it needs to do.

I honestly dont see what all the retina fuss over the mini is about. its fine.

:)

10. macrumors 601

ActionableMango

Wait, the next version will be better??? This completely caught me off guard! I had assumed the next version would be worse!

11. macrumors newbie

Ain't nothing wrong with you. I have an iPad 3 but bought a mini. Love the mini for most of the reasons listed in this forum and the iPad 3 doesn't get much love at the moment. Might sell--not sure.

Joe

12. macrumors 6502

montycat

I love the mini…perfect size:D

13. macrumors 68020

Unless money is no object, I'd wait for the iPad mini with a retina display.

The current model was a quick way for Apple to respond to customer demand, while fulfilling Apple's desire for high gross profits.

Compared to Apple's normal standard, it's a bit sub par. Yet that is ignored by the masses as they clamor for Apples newest product.

14. macrumors 6502

I bought a mini and tried it out for a while and I liked it much better than my iPad 3. I decided to keep the 3 for now and return the mini because I know I will want the mini 2 with retina so I'm just trying to be patient. I do miss the size and weight of the mini pretty much every time I use the 3. I think if you can wait for the mini 2 it will be worth it but if your a baller and can afford to buy now and in October then go for it.

15. macrumors 68000

M5RahuL

Because you're a gadget whore...like most of us here :p

I have an iPad 3 AND an iPad 4 and I still drool walking past the iPad Mini at BB... It's a disease!!! :eek: :D

16. macrumors 6502

Try the Mini
    Buy the Mini
    Love the Mini!

17. macrumors 6502

The mini is awesome, nothing wrong with you.
    I had an iPad 2 and I have an iPhone 5. I kind of wish a retina display were available for the mini, but it is not a deal breaker at all.

I really enjoy my mini a lot!!!

18. macrumors 65816

I didn't realize that your standard was the standard that all Apple products should be judged by. My apologies for ignoring you... I honestly thought I was enjoying my iPad mini but now that I know it's sub par, I'll be sure to dislike it. Thanks for the enlightenment!

Sincerely,
    Mr. The Masses

19. macrumors member

I dont get why people are so hung up on a mini with Retina display. Owning both a 3 and a Mini, in my opinion, there is no major difference.

The Mini gets most of my use, if not all, I only use my iPad 3 when the Mini is out of juice!

20. macrumors 6502

Could be hype. When I bought my kids an iPad mini, I found myself using it while they were in school. Two weeks of doing that and I'm over it and back with my iPad 3. Have not touched their mini for over a month now.

21. macrumors 68020

kazmac

... in a Shaw Brothers 70s Wu Xia with Ti Lung

OP, there's nothing wrong with you.

Try the mini, if you like it, keep it. If you like it better than your iPad 3, sell the 3.

22. macrumors 6502a

There is something very strange about the way people say they feel about retina displays. Unless it's a side-by-side comparison, I can hardly see any difference between a retina and non-retina screen on a full-sized iPad (and we have both in the house), so I certainly can't imagine it could matter on a mini which has a smaller screen and looks great to me.

Nonetheless, there are plenty of credible people posting every day about how they have trouble reading type on a non-retina display, or that once they'd gotten used to retina they can't abide anything else.

I'm really no longer persuaded that it's just hype or psychology as I first suspected, but that it must be something different about a person's eye or visual cortex that accounts for the divergence.

I don't suppose we're covered up by ophthalmologists or neuroscientists on this thread, but it would be interesting to know if there's been research. Or educated guesses.

23. macrumors 6502a

Divergence?????? Do you even know what that means?

24. macrumors 68020

More then the retina display, I'm holding off buying one until the CPU is upgraded. The A5 is just about two years old now. While it's fine for today, I fear that the Mini will have a shorter then average live span before it starts to feel sluggish.

25. macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I'm certain that's the case. The whole point of Retina is pixels so small that the human eye cannot distinguish them at a normal working distance. All it takes is to increase the distance, or remove your reading glasses, and the difference disappears - even at a lower resolution, you still can't distinguish the individual pixels. If you don't need reading glasses, or you hold it close to your face, you can see the difference.

If you don't need reading glasses and you still can't see the difference, then I'd recommend seeing an optician to see if you really do need reading glasses. Or, just be happy with your purchase, and use large fonts.

----------

Umm, what?