Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
I have an iPad 3 and my friends recently got an iPad mini and they let me fiddle with it a bit. I immediately wanted it!

Why? Like if it had retina, I'd probably do something to buy it.

But why do I want something smaller? I have an iPhone 5... that should be sufficient.

X(

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Retina or not, I like my iPad Mini. I sold my iPad 3 64gb for a Mini 64gb and the experience feels the same. Really the retina screen isn't needed on the Mini IMHO.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
No idea. Your OP doesn't tell us enough so you're best equipped to answer. Could be that you just want one because your friends have them. Could be for other reasons. Again, it's impossible for anyone else to tell you.

maddux2005

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
I bought an iPad 4 64gb and an iPad mini 32gb.

I prefer the iPad mini for most of my uses.

I'll use the iPad 4 from time to time. But the mini gets the most usage. I prefer it's amazing form factor. Gaming is just perfect on it.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
It's cute, but not giving it a retina display to begin with would make me feel cheated, since i'd feel they didn't give it one so that people would need to buy the next version.

I'd just feel like I'd been conned.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
The only thing lacking is the lack of retina screen.

I love my iPad Mini.

It's the size and weight. My preference for a tablet is 7" to 8".

KJKTex

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
The Ipad Mini is great i didnt want the full sized one, i got it mainly to keep me off my Iphone 5 while at home watching tv.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
It's cute, but not giving it a retina display to begin with would make me feel cheated, since i'd feel they didn't give it one so that people would need to buy the next version.

I'd just feel like I'd been conned.

I knew it had no 'retina' and that the next version likely will have; yet I don't feel cheated - The display is lovely as is and does everything it needs to do.

I honestly dont see what all the retina fuss over the mini is about. its fine.

:)

bbjonz

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Ain't nothing wrong with you. I have an iPad 3 but bought a mini. Love the mini for most of the reasons listed in this forum and the iPad 3 doesn't get much love at the moment. Might sell--not sure.

Joe

I have an iPad 3 and my friends recently got an iPad mini and they let me fiddle with it a bit. I immediately wanted it!

But why do I want something smaller? I have an iPhone 5... that should be sufficient.

X(

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Unless money is no object, I'd wait for the iPad mini with a retina display.

The current model was a quick way for Apple to respond to customer demand, while fulfilling Apple's desire for high gross profits.

Compared to Apple's normal standard, it's a bit sub par. Yet that is ignored by the masses as they clamor for Apples newest product.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I bought a mini and tried it out for a while and I liked it much better than my iPad 3. I decided to keep the 3 for now and return the mini because I know I will want the mini 2 with retina so I'm just trying to be patient. I do miss the size and weight of the mini pretty much every time I use the 3. I think if you can wait for the mini 2 it will be worth it but if your a baller and can afford to buy now and in October then go for it.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

X(

Because you're a gadget whore...like most of us here :p

I have an iPad 3 AND an iPad 4 and I still drool walking past the iPad Mini at BB... It's a disease!!! :eek: :D

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
The mini is awesome, nothing wrong with you.
I had an iPad 2 and I have an iPhone 5. I kind of wish a retina display were available for the mini, but it is not a deal breaker at all.

I really enjoy my mini a lot!!!

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Unless money is no object, I'd wait for the iPad mini with a retina display.

The current model was a quick way for Apple to respond to customer demand, while fulfilling Apple's desire for high gross profits.

Compared to Apple's normal standard, it's a bit sub par. Yet that is ignored by the masses as they clamor for Apples newest product.

I didn't realize that your standard was the standard that all Apple products should be judged by. My apologies for ignoring you... I honestly thought I was enjoying my iPad mini but now that I know it's sub par, I'll be sure to dislike it. Thanks for the enlightenment!

Sincerely,
Mr. The Masses

amzchhabra

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
London, UK
I dont get why people are so hung up on a mini with Retina display. Owning both a 3 and a Mini, in my opinion, there is no major difference.

The Mini gets most of my use, if not all, I only use my iPad 3 when the Mini is out of juice!

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Could be hype. When I bought my kids an iPad mini, I found myself using it while they were in school. Two weeks of doing that and I'm over it and back with my iPad 3. Have not touched their mini for over a month now.

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
There is something very strange about the way people say they feel about retina displays. Unless it's a side-by-side comparison, I can hardly see any difference between a retina and non-retina screen on a full-sized iPad (and we have both in the house), so I certainly can't imagine it could matter on a mini which has a smaller screen and looks great to me.

Nonetheless, there are plenty of credible people posting every day about how they have trouble reading type on a non-retina display, or that once they'd gotten used to retina they can't abide anything else.

I'm really no longer persuaded that it's just hype or psychology as I first suspected, but that it must be something different about a person's eye or visual cortex that accounts for the divergence.

I don't suppose we're covered up by ophthalmologists or neuroscientists on this thread, but it would be interesting to know if there's been research. Or educated guesses.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
There is something very strange about the way people say they feel about retina displays. Unless it's a side-by-side comparison, I can hardly see any difference between a retina and non-retina screen on a full-sized iPad (and we have both in the house), so I certainly can't imagine it could matter on a mini which has a smaller screen and looks great to me.

Nonetheless, there are plenty of credible people posting every day about how they have trouble reading type on a non-retina display, or that once they'd gotten used to retina they can't abide anything else.

I'm really no longer persuaded that it's just hype or psychology as I first suspected, but that it must be something different about a person's eye or visual cortex that accounts for the divergence.

I don't suppose we're covered up by ophthalmologists or neuroscientists on this thread, but it would be interesting to know if there's been research. Or educated guesses.

Divergence?????? Do you even know what that means?

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
More then the retina display, I'm holding off buying one until the CPU is upgraded. The A5 is just about two years old now. While it's fine for today, I fear that the Mini will have a shorter then average live span before it starts to feel sluggish.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland

I'm certain that's the case. The whole point of Retina is pixels so small that the human eye cannot distinguish them at a normal working distance. All it takes is to increase the distance, or remove your reading glasses, and the difference disappears - even at a lower resolution, you still can't distinguish the individual pixels. If you don't need reading glasses, or you hold it close to your face, you can see the difference.

If you don't need reading glasses and you still can't see the difference, then I'd recommend seeing an optician to see if you really do need reading glasses. Or, just be happy with your purchase, and use large fonts.

----------

i got it mainly to keep me off my Iphone 5 while at home watching tv.

Umm, what?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.