What's wrong with me?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G5Unit, Mar 7, 2007.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I have a feeling something is not wired right in my head. I go through these phases where I am just not the person I normally am. Just right now I went through I fit with myself over not being able to finish my work and time because I did not know how to do it and I thought it was pointless. I started fidgeting and pulling out my hair and scratching my skin. I don't know why I do this sometimes!

I also wake up every morning thinking "Oh, this is going to be the same pointless day over again."

At school in the morning I'll be mellow then the rest of the day it seems as if I am on a caffeine high. I also constantly worry about others things that have nothing to do with what is going on around me. I always think that people have a problem with me. Pretty much I;m like 4 different people.

My parents arn't really worried since I'm able to just act normal around them, I am sort of suppressed around them.

I procrastinate all the time, I can zone out for like 10 minutes and not notice. I have trouble going to sleep at night because of all the stuff that I am thinking about. I just don;t know what to do! I can;t go on living like this. Added on to the problem is I think there maybe be some more serious problems with me that if they end up being what I think they are, could kill me on the inside.

What's wrong with me? Am I bi-polar? Do I have OCD? ADHD?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mate, don't look for a label (excuse) just yet, then you're just asking for trouble. Check your diet first off. Are you getting much exercise too? :)

3. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

It's just a phase. It'll pass in the afterlife.

4. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I don't eat that much, but I eat enough. This whole thing was worst in 7th grade, but now its coming back(9th grade)

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i agree with MJ, don't look for a problem. you're normal. imo.

6. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Well, IMO the pulling out the hair and scratching yourself needs to stop asap....there is no point in doing that so don't do it.

However, I to this day can't go to sleep because I'm thinking of a million different things. I get upset and deptressed just like everyone else in the world. You are growing up and going through a lot....your in highschool so there are a ton of things going on.

Don't get upset with yourself or angry because you aren't doing your work. I do that sometimes and then I try and turn my anger into motivation to work harder so that I can prove that I can do it.

I don't mean to sound like a motivational speaker but keep working hard and don't get down on yourself.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you eating healthily and regularly? It's pretty normal to feel a bit weird at about your age. Hell, I still feel weird. Just blame it on hormones. :)

8. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

To tell you that you are normal (i.e, a lot of people your age are feeling the same way, if not as articulate) will probably not be all that reassuring. It may make you feel better if you speak to your family physician just to check your body and make sure there is nothing physiological so you could scratch that off your list of worries.

A psychologist may help you learn how to deal with the stresses of being a hormone-driven teen, being bright (hey, you're on MR), and self-reflective. Make sure the therapist is well trained in dealing with teens; damn straight you're wiring is different!!!

And, like MJ and PlaceofDis said, stay away from labels. They'll make you crazy.
    FWIW, I'm on MR now because I had trouble going to sleep, procrastinated most of the day on MR, and know I'm going to obsess for a while. You don't really don't lose this behaviour as you get older; you just kind of shrug it off.

9. Salasm macrumors regular

Salasm

wait until you live on your own with rent or mortgage and kids to worry about. you are ok, be grateful

the people who have mental problems are the ones who post to forums with 5 post/day averages.

10. bartelby macrumors Core

Well, I doubt you're Bi-Polar or have ADHD.

You wouldn't be able to act normal around your parents if you were either of those.

11. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

Ditto to Legolamb. You sound like a pretty self-reflective sort, and frankly, it's not easy to be 14 when you're 14. You might find that talking to a counselor/therapist/psychologist would be helpful.

Best of luck.

12. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I'd say improve the quality of foods in your diet, try and get regular exercise...maybe look around around for a martial art like Aikido which focuses on skill and concentration rather than competition. Yoga is also good.

I agree with others that say don't label yourself...when you are 30 or 40, you can start labeling yourself...but any earlier and it's just a self-fulfilling prophecy.

13. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Depression.

OCD

OCD

I hope your parents have good medical coverage because prozac is expensive. :D

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Could be Asperger's. I have had anxiety trouble, not being able to sleep because I won't stop thinking of stupid things I did. I've had the problem of getting too hyperactive to the point of being very irritating to others (like a caffeine high), while being really mellow around others. I know about the zoning out part.

I don't know about waking up in the morning with the 'same old thing' thought though.

I was originally diagnosed with Tourette's syndrome for repetative motions I did...then later ADHD...then later OCD.
    All ended up being Asperger's symptoms mistaken for the others.

Look into Asperger's syndrome, it's possible.

Don't think this way. Always focus on the positives in life. Always. Your family and friends wouldn't want to go on without you, either.

15. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

First of all, try to get your body on a fairly regular eating schedule. If you take in caffeine, do it regularly at around the same time; for example, in the morning to get your head unclogged. Try not to take it in late in the day or night or you will end up staying up all night anyway.

The worst for me is getting no sleep at all for days, then not being able to fall asleep at night even though I am physically completely exhausted. The issues could stem from not being mentally tired, which may explain your fidgeting, hair pulling, nervous energy, etc.

Also, it sounds a bit like you are experiencing anxiety, for whatever reason. Anxiety can easily and unknowingly turn into depression. You really don't want to let it; trust me.

Try indulging your brain in something you enjoy or simply something that tires it out before you hit the sack. It could be some dumb tv, computer appeasement, reading, etc. It doesn't really matter. The key is to stop thinking about the things that make you feel anxious right away.

Those thoughts have to be consciously identified, then immediately stopped as soon as you realize you are thinking them. Unhealthy thoughts can cause some horrific physical actions. I'm not saying the thoughts you are thinking are unhealthy; but, most likely they are leading your brain into something that can seem comfortable and interesting, yet are the beginnings of something psychologically negative.

But it isn't easy. In fact, you need to replace those self-defeating thoughts that keep you up all night and cause boredom during the day with other thoughts that are healthy. This is difficult. Try hard to reconnect with past friendships and/or socially connect with new ones. Again, this is easier said than done.

One last thing you can try at night when you are trying to sleep is to think of the number "1" and envision it out in front of you (eyes closed). It sounds trivial, but actually works because you are switching your brain activity to the lobe out in front near your forehead, which, I believe is responsible in some way for sleep.

16. calculus Guest

calculus

I don't see how anyone here can make any kind of judgement on this. If you are worried about yourself go and talk it through with your family doctor.

17. bartelby macrumors Core

Personal experience, looking at his description and matching symptoms?

18. calculus Guest

calculus

I don't think one paragraph is enough for a diagnosis. There's a real danger of finding something that just isn't there.

19. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You worry about yourself too much.

Problem solved.

Now, quit worrying-- you're close enough to normality to be considered reasonably healthy.;)

Seriously. You're in 9th grade. Welcome to high school and the pressure to do well to get into a good college. So you're fine.

20. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'm trying to figure out how you guys came to the conclusion the OP is a teenager and in the 9th grade. :confused:

21. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Because that's what he said in the 4th post of this thread.

22. bartelby macrumors Core

I do agree with you and you can't go looking on the web and diagnose yourself.

23. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Probably not OCD. I have OCD, and while it does cause me stress and in the past, severe depression, it's often not the cause of real issues.

And it kills me how many people self diagnose themselves with having issues. Like others have said, labels don't really mean anything.

For my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, I don't take any "meds." It's all mental, and even though I know this, I still have it. Some things are just strange - but that's life, and everyone goes through the same things as you do. Whenever you feel horrible, remember that a million others feel just as sh****, if not significantly worse.

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Did you want this written out in essay format, or is a list ok?

25. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Most of what's wrong is called being a teenager. You'll grow out of it. Get plenty of exercise and sleep. Make notes to help with your concentration and eliminate distractions while doing your homework.