what's wrong with my system preferences!?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by nickmcghie, Jan 12, 2003.

1. nickmcghie macrumors regular

help! i just opened my system preferences today and it looked like this:

Attached Files:

2. nickmcghie thread starter macrumors regular

notice that the International preference and Classic preference are strangely missing, and there are four keyboard icons in the 5th row... i don't know why!! can somebody please tell me??

(btw, i'm running 10.2.3 on a 400mhz pismo powerbook g3 with 576 megs of RAM)

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you're also missing the "accounts" pane...

at some point, i had no accounts pane and an extra login items in the other row...

i don't know what would "properly" fix it... but i had an unrelated problem with my battery, and i pressed the CUDA (i think that's what it's called) to reset the battery and it ended up fixing my prefs problem

i wouldn't recommend doing this unless someone with more hardware knowledge comes along and says it's cool...

also, what panes are in your prefpanes folders? are there 4 keyboards? is classic, accounts, etc there in the folder itself? if so, then that's the same thing that happened to me basically....

4. nickmcghie thread starter macrumors regular

in my PreferencePanes folder, there is only one Keyboards.prefPanes file, and there is also Classic.prefPanes, Accounts.prefPanes, and Localization.prefPanes (i'm assuming thats the one for the International preferences)... so i have no idea what the problem could be :confused:

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Time to re-install 10.2.3, yeah it sucks, but not as much as it could have.

6. nickmcghie thread starter macrumors regular

dang, do i really hafta reinstall? that'd be a bummer... if i do reinstall though, can i just reinstall the system while keeping my application preferences (and all the other stuff in my home folder) intact? cuz it'd be a REAL hassle to be a complete clean reinstall

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

system prefs is only like 400k. throw it away and see if that helps. you can probably get the accounts.pane and the other panes your missing and replace them in the system folder/

iJon