Whats wrong with Panther's Sherlock?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jaw04005, Dec 12, 2003.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Interesting enough, I bought my 65 year old grandfather an iMac last year. Of all the different applications he just loves Sherlock. A few months ago, I updated his iMac to Panther (clean install), and now Sherlock has all sorts of problems. He enters all of his stock data and it will remain saved for a few days and sometimes a few weeks then just randomly decided to wipe out his portfolio forcing him to rekey all of his stock symbols. Also, sometimes you click on the Sherlock icon and it pretends to launch and then nothing happens. I have repaired file permissions, created a new clean user, and even downloaded Panther cache cleaner to try to resolve the problem. Still nothing works. As an application that was bragged so much about in Jaguar, is Apple just not keeping this app up to date or what? I checked out the Apple discussion forums, and there are several people there with the same problem. Any ideas?
  2. ShadowHunter macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2003
    Re: Whats wrong with Panther's Sherlock?

Wait for 10.3.2? :(

I think your only choice is to whine to Apple til they fix it....
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    You might try deleting the preferences file.

I brought it up in the Property List Editor so that you could see how it's supposed to look.

You might also want to save a copy to restore, if there are many stocks.

Attached Files:

4. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge
    I have had problems with it too. I use the dictionary quite often. Sometimes when I open Sherlock, the window opens but the little wheel spokes keep spinning as if a connection is never established. I always have to force quit. It often works fine the next time I open it. Weird and annoying. I would definitely agree that it's worse in Panther. (I did a clean install of 10.3, FWIW.)