What's wrong with you, and what do you intend to do about it?

Discussion in 'Community' started by gekko513, May 29, 2005.

1. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

This is sort of a follow-up to the thread What's wrong with you?

I listed some of my own faults:

I'm making this thread for myself and for others who want to work at being a better person. As of today I'm going to try and tackle my faults head on, at least the ones that should be possible to change. Being a procrastinator, I figured it would be bad strategy to do it step by step since I would surely just put off going to the next step all the time.

Here's my plan. I will make rules for myself that I need to follow to get out of my bad habits. This commitment will stress me up and I know I will make every possible excuse for myself why I can put off following the rules just that day. My favourite excuses have historically been that I have been good or worked hard in one area of my life and used that as an argument to procrastinate in others. So the first rule is that all rules have to be followed. I can change rules, but only after careful consideration and only on a sunday. The other rules by category are as follows.

Neatness and House Chores
    Work efficiently for up to an hour every day as necessary on household chores.
    • Laundry. Clean clothes should be folded and not left in a pile.
    • Dishes. Should be done after every meal.
    • Cleaning. Washing and dusting every friday afternoon.
    • Tidying. Everything, every day. Both at home and at work.
    Health, Personal Care and Fitness
    • High intensity workout for at least 45 mins at least 2 times every week.
    • Supplemental low intensity workout for at least 30 mins for a total of 5 workouts every week. Fast walking counts as low intensity.
    • Face wash and moisturizer two times every day. (Fighting spots)
    • Brush teeth three times every day. (Fighting coffee stains)
    • No burgers, no chips and no food/drink with lots of non-fruit sugar.
    • Breakfast every morning
    Keeping in Touch
    • Get back to people who have tried to contact me at first opportunity.
    • Make a phone call or get in touch with distant friend or family at least three times every week.
    Work
    • Be at work at nine o'clock every morning.
    • Additional shareware programming efficiently for at least 10 hours every week. Not more than 20 hours. Keep a record.
    Personal Economy
    • No Taxi

Wish me luck. Do you want to make an effort to break your bad habits? Have you successfully completed a self-improvement project? Have you failed? Please share thoughts, strategies and experiences. :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

This is probably the most depressing thread I've been a part of. :(

I'm a pretty bad boyfriend. Most of my friends are girls and my SO gets pretty annoyed about this. Sure it's a little petty on her behalf but I've gotta meet her halfway and although I'm not going to give up any friendships, I'm going to try to make it clearer that I'd never cheat on her and that these girls are simply friends and that is all.

There's plenty more wrong with me, but I can't post it here because I'm not doing anything about it! ;)

3. iGary Guest

iGary

I'll post in the morning, I'm far too lit on Merlot right now to make any sense.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I spend far too much time posting on MacRumors, so I intend t.......... *

5. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

man, this thread is harsh.

I'll start with, I'm fat.....

6. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

me too? lard a&*s unite

7. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

If someone is suicidal, please refrain from reading any further on this thread. Im doing the suicide hotlines a favor ;) .

8. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

I'm too cut-throat in competition. Plan to solve this by eliminating competition. Then I won't have to be cut-throat anymore. ^_^

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I hate you all. :D Watch out at night, "friends" and lock the door, too.

10. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Well, I guess it's a little harsh with this title ... Maybe we could pretend that the title is: "How to break bad habits?"

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I spend too much time on my computer. :(

(and I'm not going to do anything about it)

12. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

phreakout13

I often think about what's wrong with me and how I can change for the better, but I don't do much about it. That's my biggest problem: I'm a procrastinator and I have no self discipline. I would like to take care of myself better. I eat too much junk food. I would also like to waste less time watching T.V. I'm thinking of becoming a musician after high school, and I want to make myself practice guitar more. I also want to put more effort into my school work. I'm a shy person, so I'd like to be more agressive and outgoing around people. None of these aspects of me will improve unless I do something about them, so I guess I have to start from the beginning and try to stop procrastinating. I'm fairly happy with myself now, but I guess everyone has room to improve:)

13. efoto macrumors 68030

If you change "please share thoughts, strategies, and experiences" to "If so, please call Jerry now!" this sounds EXACTLY like a post-show Jerry Springer line, awesome.

I don't think the thread is depressing, its actually quite uplifting when I read it. Whether I change or not, its nice to see that people out there are realizing their personal shortcomings and wanting to do something to change them. I think its great that not only have they come to grips with the points, but they have the balls....or female equiv....to post them here and let everyone read them and perhaps even help keep them accountable.

Assuming the thread lasts, which would be a great idea, it would be awesome to get little updates, perhaps every other week or something (daily is faaar too often) about how you are doing with your changes and if you feel it is making an impact on your life and in what ways.

I commend gekko513 for starting it, I think it could prove to be a great idea.

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I live a relatively boring lifestyle and to fix it I'm going to move away to NYC to go to college :).

scem0

15. efoto macrumors 68030

A few bad habits of mine are (or random things I should work on):
    • No-reason jealousy -See someone with a nice car, and really envy it although I already have a nice car.
    • Temper - Often have very little and although I don't lash out physically (thankfully) I can say some very harsh things to friends and loved ones when I get overly annoyed.
    • Procrastination - Self-explanatory, I just don't do it until it simply MUST be done, 'early' is not a word I use often.
    • Loneliness - Trying to change this one, but its difficult because I gave up on the casual dating type and really want to find someone special to spend time with, not just another girlfriend for a few months.
    • Paranoia and Trust - I have an awful time trusting people whom I don't know very well and it proves to be very difficult in daily and business life. I also have a moderate level of paranoia and find shopping malls and other mass-public places to be difficult to navigate unless I am with someone I know well. That said, I do love shopping as long as I am accompanied by someone I know....which leads to....
    • Shopping - Need to stop doing it. I spend way too much money on frivolous and meaningless things that I arguably don't need. I can always find a use for it and argue it's purpose, but my life is seldom better off due to the items I buy (expect for my PB of course, which made my life have purpose :D )

That is enough for now, I am depressed and thinking of home. Now I'm happy and....no, I have a meeting to go to. Although its a grime topic at times, I think this is still a very positive thing, so keep up the posts and also if you have ideas on how to better combat stated 'habits' please let us know.

16. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I need to start my business. Need to eat better, exercise. Need to make a plan and stick to it. Need to get over my ex and find a new girlfriend. Need to make some money and buy a house. Need to get a cavity filled. Need a haircut. Need to wash the car. Need to organize the basement. Need a slap in the face to get going. Need to throw my TV out the window. Need to find some new friends. Damn, am I this pathetic?

17. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Thanks, the idea was certainly not to depress people, I'm more hoping to find some fellow self-improvers so that we can cheer each other on.

I hope we're not going to need those people in Jerry Springer that go in between when the fighting breaks out ;)

18. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

I agree that you shouldn't have to give up your friends for your SO and I think it's good that you keep to that principle while at the same time try to assure your girlfriend that you can be trusted. It can be hard to build that kind of level of trust I suppose, so I wish you luck.

I don't really understand why you say that you're a pretty bad boyfriend, though. If it's just the thing about not going to give up any friendship, I don't think that's pretty bad.

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Thanks for the reassurance gekko513. Maybe I'm being a little self-deprecating, but most of my previous girlfriends have become pretty upset about me having friends who are girls. Maybe I just pick the jealous type. :(

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I was a lazy bastard, no sports etc, so a few months ago I bit the bullet and got my arse down the gym. Going 4 times a week now and feeling good for doing it.

Now I'm just a lazy bastard the rest of the time :p

21. iGary Guest

iGary

1. I need to get back into my marathon regimen, loose 30 lbs and start eating like a hippy again.

2. I need to get off my ass and get some debts paid off.

3. I need to quit procrastinating, no matter how badly I do not want to do something.

4. Need to bike to work three days a week like I promised myself.

5. Need to get a job that doesn't suck the life out of me on a daily basis, preferably, working for myself. I've got a good string of working for complete morons going.

6. My computer use is far less that it used to be, but I need to stop using it as a diversion when I have articles due/deadlines to meet.

7. I need to try and be nicer to people. I'm really intolerant of idiots, and unfortunately , the world is filled with them.

8. Need to start doing my back-strengthening excercises again as my discs are bothering me again.

9. Need to be more grateful and take less for granted, expecially with the SO.

10. Need to read the 20 "how to do this" books on my shelf that have gone untouched.

22. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

LOL! Me too...
    I think my life would just be so much better if I changed jobs, but I got my current job during the dot com boom and still have an artificially inflated salary so its hard to leave...

23. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I need to eat less, I need to exercise more

I need to repent more, sin less

I need to curb my materialism, be happy with the wonderful cr@p I got

I need to appreciate my family more, and bark orders less

I need to eat less, I need to exercise more (ya I said it twice, needs to be)

I need to get back to the old level of volunteer work I used to do, trimmed back after my wife started back to work

I need to read more, and actually do some of the C's on my list, of course the A's would be good to get done too

I need to reduce debt, and increase 401k/IRA contributions

I need to take my oldest on a 3 day trip to DC, just the 2 of us

I need to stop now, I need to go and decompress and be happier about my shortcomings, be glad I'm able to help others instead of beg for others help. (man this is not cathartic, but seems to be burden building to me, hope not to others-maybe because I have been too lazy too long)

24. iGary Guest

iGary

And I'll take you up on that beer when you get here. :D

25. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Done Deal, and some cheese cake too, ok! :eek: