Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
I just got 4 hours and 10 minutes out of my powerbook, screen on next to lowest brightness, nothing but safari open and itunes (browsing music not playing). I was quite impressed. i usually get about 3 hours and 20 minutes with my messengers and safari, mid brightness, and what ever else i feel like.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I usually get about 4 hours of use on my iBook 800. I don't really optimize for battery life except turn down the brightness. This is usually with Airport on.

PC users are really impressed by my battery life. My ancient Toshiba laptop gets 1.5 hours max, but it's over 5 years old (I think, had it given to me).

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
PB 15" 1GHz

Think I get about 3and half hours out of mine when I am on the go. Just listen to iTunes, write emails while I'm on the train or something or in a coffee shop. Its pretty hard working on the track pad, doing serious work:cool:

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
under 40 minutes. now the battery drops to 0 % even in 94 % (mostly around 80 - 85 % ) and is "full" 100 % suddenly at 20 % ... but getting a new battery this week.

the battery behaviour now looks like this :eek:

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
When I purchased my revB I tang, using max power savings, no CD, no scratch, and using M$ Office and the text-to-speech engines, I once got an uninterrupted 9 hours, and on the average 5.

Now, I get 2 on my primary battery, and 3.5 on my ancillary batteries.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
I get about .000002 seconds of battery life. My PowerBook was dropped and a few things were messed up. Therefore, my battery can't hold a charge and my screen gets messed up sometimes if I move it a certain way and it'll freeze my laptop. Time for a new PowerBook I suppose:)

Wano

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2002
It was nice, last night when I was using my 17" Powerbook, it was fully charged and it said 3h11min. Then a few minutes later it dropped to 2h45min. So, I turned airport card off, set the energy saver to most battery life, and turned my screen all the way down to the next to last setting. I looked at the battery time and litterally, every minute instead of dropping it went up a minute. So, in the use of 40min it went to 3h25min and was at 91% charged.

So, I am guessing if I kept using it I could have got about 4hours out of it.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
It blows my mind that using Airport and normal apps I can get 3 hours of life on my TiBook.... So i have never tried for more. ;)

<Still a starry eyed switcher....>

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
667 TiBook, Rev. C

usually get around 3.5 hours with iTunes playing and a few other apps open. i think the most i've got is 4hrs 20min... that's still pretty good. :)

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
With my iBook 466 I've had my battery drain completely through the high performance level, with some intensive Photoshop work and iTunes. I got about 3 hours.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
I usually get about 4 hours of use on my iBook 800. I don't really optimize for battery life except turn down the brightness. This is usually with Airport on.

PC users are really impressed by my battery life. My ancient Toshiba laptop gets 1.5 hours max, but it's over 5 years old (I think, had it given to me).

my ibook new out of the box in 1999 got just over four hours on a single charge

the pc laptop i use of the same vintage, compaq presario, got under two hours new and within a year the battery died completely...but it was one of those awful NiMH cells while the ibook uses a LiIon battery which lasts longer

but soon, if possible, i need another battery since a single charge on the ibook now gives me two hours at most

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
I get about 4 hours at full brightness, running AirPort (based on the fact that when I take it to my 3 hour night classes, it lasts for the whole class and is down to about 25% at the end).

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
DVDs?

How long can you play DVD's? Nothing else, just turn on, play DVD. This always seems to use lots of power, for some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.