Whats your computer desk look like?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sweetfeld28, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I have been recently looking at computer desks at best buy, and i decided that i would like a metal framed desk with a glass top (about a half inch thick sheet of glass). i also would like to have some kind of cart or shelve for the side of the table, which would hold my tower.

Anyway, i was just wondering what other peoples computer desks look like. Is your desk made of wood, did you use hardware materials found at a place like home depot, or what store did you purchase your desk from? If you could post a picture of your desk to help me get a better idea of what you have that would be very helpful. Oh, one more thing, if you could add something to your desk (roll out keyboard tray or something) what would it be?

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Here's my desk... crappy old 80's wooden computer desk that i painted white (very badly)... taken with a crappy camera-phone.
    Not visible: the slot in the top for the legal-sized tractor-feed paper to come up through to the printer.

[​IMG]

Lee Tom

3. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

built mine from scratch

I couldn't find what I really wanted in any store, or the models I really liked were priced more than my new computer. So feeling dejected, last summer I set to the task of building what I wanted from scratch. All pieces are made from MDF (medium density fiberboard) and are affixed with a mix of angle brackets and L stops screwed directly into the pieces. The baskets came from Pier One (my wife's touch) after the first attempt to build drawers we liked failed. This suits us fine for now, but I'm in the midst of drawing plans for a much more-involved model for the new G5 to sit on.

Before I get the "eeew - MDF" comments, this was meant to be a trial run, to see if it worked in the space, and was a functional size. We know now what we like and don't like about it, and only spent ~$60 in materials building this. The next version will probably be made of a pine frame with hardwood veneer plywood instead of the MDF for a more "finished" look.

4. Sweetfeld28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

oops, hit the wrong button....

anyway, i think that your desk looks fine actually. a friend of mine recently went to home depot, and bought a nice looking "natural" colored wooden door (with out the door handle holes in it) with two aluminum saw-horses. Thats all that his desk is a door, which he sanded down, and two saw horses; it looks really cool.

Mudbug--

i like the idea of building your own desk. i think that you did a great job for building your first desk. it does look huge though.

Leetom--

you also, from the looks of it have a good desk. i can't really tell from the pic, but is it a small computer station type of desk?

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I can't grab the camera now because dad will notice (I'm supposed to be studying for an exam), but I have a dark brown table, about 1 m wide, 60 cm deep, with my CRT, keyboard, mouse, piles of CDs, and lots of rubbish (paper) everywhere. My G4 tower is sitting on a small table* to the left, in the corner.

*It's actually a cabinet that opens from the top, but I never need to open it so it's essentially a small table :)

6. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

It's a computer desk from 1985. It came with our IBM PC/XT... that had a whopping 640k RAM, dual 5 1/4" floppy drives, and a monochrome monitor. I kinda wish I still had that thing. Eventually, we upgraded to a CGA monitor so I could play California Games and Starflight 1 in four colors... but that only held us over until 1989 or so.

Lee Tom

7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

One is a fancy-smancy wooden desk. THe other is a clapboard grey laminate from Staples.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This was my old set up, my new one is a bit cramped, but I'm moving in a month and I'll get a new office/media lab again. Can't wait - I'll post pics when I get everything put together.

D

Attached Files:

9. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

My old computer desk was really tiny. I had just enough room for my Mac, and that was it. When I bought my current one (pictured), I decided to get something huge. This thing takes up a fifth of my room, but I've been very happy with it. Being a student, I have a lot of written work I need to do, and having all available desk space for books and papers has been very convenient. My friends laugh when they walk into my room, because the desk makes it look like an office, but I think it's better to go too big than too small. There were a number of options, like a keyboard drawer, file cabinet, ect., but I've been very happy with just the desk. I got it at OfficeDepot for around $200.

Attached Files:

10. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

Where did you get the chair? It looks SOO comfortable, I just might have to buy one myself... :cool:

11. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Got it at Staples. It's made by Samsonite. It's comfortable, but not as comfortable as it looks.

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

my desk: http://tinyurl.com/2kr8v

(waits for you to click on link)

okay i was joking. lol.
    my desk is an old, tiny tiny dining-table sort of deal, made of wood.
    well my main one anyway...
    its a (temporary) replacement for my old (cracked) frosted glass table.

13. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Here's my desk. I got it at Office Depot about 6 months ago. I really like it, too. I can't wait till I can get an apple monitor to put it it. I think it would look really good.

Attached Files:

14. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Damn, sweet crib Mr. Anderson, I like the blue look.

My desk is 16 inches wide and 42 inches long and 0.75 inches thick; and it's made of wood.
    On it I have my: iMac, Pro speakers, keyboard, mouse, mouse pad, floppy drive, a couple of floppies, firewire cable, iPod, iPod cable, pens, pencils, telephone, 2 hard drives, electric motors, co2 canisters, IDE cables, screw drivers (flat head and phillips), duck tape, CDs, CD case, part of a news paper, 6 RAM moduels, an 80 mm fan, a book (The Elegant Universe), pocket knife, and a busted microphone.

All on a 672 squair inch desk...I really need to clean up... :eek:

15. Sweetfeld28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

MR.Anderson— i like your blue theme the best. if i was you i would have a blown up poster of the original OS X apple logo (the blue apple) on one of those white walls.

Mopar— i like the professional look to your office. where did you buy the desk again; and how much was it?

Also Thanx to everyone whos posted so far, your a big help.

16. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Your desks are so cluttered.

I prefer to keep a clean desk. Minimalist I guess. I just have a table From IKEA. Not bad for $40.

Attached Files:

17. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Here's my desk:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the chair didn't come out right (I stitched two photos together). The bottom right cabinet is for a computer, but unless I leave the door open, my G5 gets really loud in there (the back is totally open for cables) and the desk actually gets warm. It's kinda scary. Good luck finding a desk
    –Chase

18. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I bought the desk from OfficeDepot, or perhaps Officemax, can't seem to remember which :rolleyes:. It was around $200-220.

19. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i like mr andersons set up; right now i dont have a dedicated desk just wherever i plop my laptop

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I remember that, had it on the C64. Had an XT too - 512 RAM, two floppy drives (one 360, one 720), and a 9-pin parallel port mouse :eek:

And in case you're wondering, yes, the mouse was used. We had GEM version 3 (I think it stood for Graphical Environment Manager).

21. TBR macrumors 6502

My Setup

[​IMG]

Taken with a crappy camera phone as I havn't my camera handy.

22. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

Mine:
    [​IMG]

£99 from argos, did have shelves with "G5 style" holes pattern but i took them off.

Bye

23. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

What's my desk look like? Hmmm. Think of a small bomb. Think of it going off on an "L" shaped desk. Think of the mess involved. That's what my work desk looks like. My home desk looks similar, but not as bad. :p

24. Sweetfeld28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

oooh, this is exactly what i want. Do you happen to have a website link to the store, also would i be able to buy that same desk here in the states?

ryan