What's your desired hardware setup?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by minimax, Apr 16, 2005.

1. minimax macrumors 6502

Feb 9, 2005
    Perhaps I'm opening a pandora's box, but I'm curious what your desired apple hardware setup would be for your next upgrade, say within three years? I'm not talking about exotic CELL species etc. but appealing for a bit of pragmatism...we all know dualcores are in the pipeline, PCIe etc. I'm also curious what your planning to use this setup for. Perhaps you really need that dual dual 4.0 PM for faster word processing / internet / itunes performance...just spill it

For me, I'd love to see a

slightly larger mac mini G5 3 GHz MONOcore
    with 128 MB VRAM and a faster GPU that supports Core-Image :eek:
    that has room for 2 DIMM slots so I don't need to throw away memory
    and 4 USB slots so I can ditch the stupid hub
    combined with a 20" screen 4:5 (my preferred aspect ratio)

Although at times I can be a pretty powerconsuming multitasker (f.i. working simultaniously in vectorworks, art.lantis, photoshop, illustrator alongside firefox, mail & itunes) when I have a deadline, i like to stretch my system and make it work for its money :)
    The dualcore... is just not my thing...feels like two people standing behind the wheel :rolleyes:
    I just prefer raw computing power above the ability to switch fluently between so many applications. In the worst case scenario, I'll close the iTunes and listen from my shuffle :D
  2. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    I just want monitors, storage & ram to be much cheaper ;-)

my G5 is very nice I don't mind the fact that it isn't small :p

ideally: 30" display, 2x(still non existent)500GB sata 16mb drive (in mirorring for safety, 16mb buffer for speed) and a keyboard wich types like the Powerbooks... I really hate the Apple keyboard wich came with the G5... too noisy too hard to type on... I prefer the smooth silent type :p

in between 4 & 8GB ram

processorspeed is not something I care a lot about because Photoshop is my main use & with dualprocessing it takes advantage of that... & diskspeed & ram are things wich really make a difference when working with big files... my scanner only has a speed increase when using a faster storage...

but thats for me... ;-)

ok and a mac mini wich is slightly bigger but has the 'powerblock' (sorry have no clue how to call this big white external power thingie...) built in so there is only the small powercord coming out of it... standard with BT & Airport so if people really want to make it look very nice you only have a powercord & displaycord coming out of it ;-)

and offcourse a new apple 17" widescreen display wich goes perfectly with the mac mini (style- & pricewise)

and get the iBooks & 12"Pb a new widescreen too... so everything apple is widescreen ;-)
  3. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    LOL ..

Powerbook 15 inch for that compromize between portability and real-estate

some form 64bit processing would be nice, i'm guessing dual core is more likely though,

upwards of 150 GIG hard drives running at 7200 rpm for on the go editing without external hard drives

2 - 4 gigs of ram to handle the most taunting of tasks

the ability to run a 30" display at full resolution for when i'm home from the road

i would also like a job that will allow me to pay for all this in 2 or 3 years ;) ... LOL

BY the way i would like all that to run on a super capacity battery that gives me 8 hours of life wile i'm doing everything without having to resort to extreme power saving techniques
  4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    What I'm really hoping for is the day a dual core or dual processor machine falls into my price range (which should be going up but still isn't high). I'd be happy to replace my eMac in a year or so with a dual (or dual core) 2+Ghz Powermac and a 19+" monitor for less than $2000 (although closer to $1500 would be better). That system should have at least 1GB of RAM.
  5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I''m also possibly going to but a new portable in the fall. I'd love to see a Powerbook 15" with some kind of new processor.
  6. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2004
    I'm perfectly happy with my maxed out 17" Rev.D Powerbook's performance in all but one area: gaming.

Now, I know Macs aren't really gaming systems, but you would think a £2400 laptop would be able to do fairly well. I know it's apples to oranges (or lemons as the case may be ;)) but I could have got a PC for less than half this price that would have been more than twice as fast.

Now I don't do heavy gaming on my mac, but I would love to be able to play World of Warcraft more. The Ironforge Auction House / Bank area in the game is never higher than 10fps. While I get about 20-30 fps outside, it doesn't feel that smooth; the game is always stuttering. The 5+ yr old PC in my house gets about 15-25 fps, but plays a lot smoother than the Mac. :(

Ah well, hopefully Tiger will speed things up a bit.

The actual numbers in the framerate doesn't bother me at all; I just want the game to feel smooth no matter what's going on. I've tried running the game at its lowest settings at 800x600 and it's almost exactly the same, only it looks worse.

So my ideal hardware setup would be whatever specs are needed to keep the game playing smoothly at 1440x900, detail settings don't really matter. (although it would be nice if they could be turned up)
  7. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2005
    toronto canada
    its all about a 15" powerbook G5 whenever it comes out!!! 1 gig of ram, 128mb video card, at LEAST 100 gb hard drive, and can't forget about that sexy backlit keyboard :p
  8. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    10THz 1024bit G42 23" solid diamond powerbook with 512TB ram and a 80EB HD :p
  9. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

May 30, 2002
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    simple needs.

I just want a G4 based Mac! Any 1 in fine working condition will do nicely! ;)

cheers & be happy ur not using a PC day in & day out. :eek:
  10. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

Mar 11, 2005
    down to earth, far away from any clouds
    Have you tried a smaller resolution? I'm playing WoW on the Rev A you see in my sig and apart from auction house it runs fine.... :D
  11. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
  12. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    Right now, the G5 Dual 2.5GHz with dual 30" Apple screens set up in the Apple Store in Regent street looks pretty sweet. (eeryting maxed out of course!)
    Add in a wacom tablet (one of the 20" ones that's a screen aswell! (Look here)
    A colour A1 Laser double-sided printer, killer scanner etc etc.
    Think I'd shoehorn them in somehow!
    Oh and a TV reciever, sky+ 1 Terabyte box with xbox that can be a/b'd on one of the 30" displays (hung on the wall) to act as a TV. 7.1 surround system (full size speakers) and killer amp & cd player, chuck in airport express, a 10Mbit connection, and a lovely big den/office to put them all in!

Now, where'd i put that spare 250 grand i had just a second ago?
  13. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    But I tought this was for the comming 3 years :p

Well here I go:

PowerMac G5
    Dual core at 3Ghz, 4 CPU slot of the logicboard but one one comes as standard.......you buy more CPU's when you want/need.
    Bule-Ray drive, but it has to handle CD's and DVD's as well.
    2GB RAm but up to 64 GB so you can have 8GB per CPU core...DDR3 at 1000Mhz
    X850 XT in some sort of Sli configuration with a Gig of RAM....DDR4 at 1500Mhz and PCIe
    1TB or storage
    Fiberoptic internet connection
    Dual 30" Displays
    Laser Mouse
    B&W 801 speaker hooked up to the 500 watts amplifier in the PM
    A4 size tablet from Wacom
    A3 Laser color printer
    Noise level at about 18dB ;)

And a price tag of 1499 dollars ;) :D
  14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    :rolleyes: Oh no! Here come the "PowerBook G42" threads... ;)