What's your favorite cheese?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mfacey, Jun 17, 2005.

1. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Over lunch, I was just asking myself this question. I do truly love a good camembert. However, I managed to find myself some smoked cheddar yesterday (which I've never managed in a Dutch store before) and I have to say it was very tasty indeed!

Lots of the runny french cheeses are great too! Just hard to get decent ones when you're not in France!

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Im italian so it would have to be mozzarella di buffola(non of this cheap azz supermarket stuff) and provolone and I also like the spanish manchego cheese.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I second the manchego
    :)

4. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

i like super strong cheddar from private sellers, i also like a good emmental

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I would have to say Kelly Clarkson's "A Moment Like This".

6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

HAHAHAHAHA sh*t now I have to clean up the coke I spit out while laughing MY AZZ OFF!!!

7. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

smoked applewood. an addiction started at school, every thursday theres a market held on Uppermill high street. only place to get good smoked applewood. and hey, it was better for me mentally and socially and everythingly than doing drugs! cheese or drugs? well ive never heard of cocaine on lasagne so ill go for cheese ;)

9. brap macrumors 68000

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Being of Swiss blood, I find myself salavating over cheeses of all types.. my current cannot-pass-up-purchasing-it-because-its-addicting-cheese is definitely Humbolt Fog. It's AMAZING.

11. mpw Guest

12. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

The picture on that site looks like a piece of birthday cake that should've been eaten a few years ago :eek:
    Sounds go though, none the less!

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It all depends on what I'm in the mood for - Stilton, asiago, camenbert, its all good :D

D

14. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Ahh good taste, that with a bit of dry red wine*insert homer simpson drooling sound*
    I got wierd tste for a 16 year old :eek:

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I had a very good fondue in Moléson, Switzerland a couple of years ago, and was very pleased when I found out my local grocery store actually sell Gruyères cheese. That's very good.

As everyday cheese for sandwiches etc. I'm quite boring, and prefer Gouda, Jarlsberg, Edam and Emmental (and a Norwegian made variant simply called Sveitserost, i.e. Swiss cheese).

There is also the good old Norwegian brunost, a sweet goat cheese which Norwegians eat in large quantities... ;)

16. efoto macrumors 68030

Camembert de Normandie (true Camembert :p ), Munster (not American munn-ster, it is "monn-stare", much different taste), Lou Pérac, Chaumes, and many MANY more.

The one thing I love about my current location (France :D ) is all the fabulous cheese and wine I get to taste. To die for!

17. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Gouda! Imported from Holland.

There is a little Dutch specialty store about 30 minutes from my house where you can get the 1/4 wheel of gouda cheese, it's super.

18. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

19. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Non-pasteurized milk makes real cheese ;)
    Yes, cheese = milk + bugs. Why the hell would you want to kill all the bugs before making the cheese :confused:

Yes, I live in France and have access to a lot of different cheeses. Picking a "favourite" is close to impossible. Favourite what? Favourite runny? Favourite hard cheese? Favourite blue-cheese? Favourite goat-cheese?

I do have a penchant for Beaufort, Fourme d'Ambert, St Marcellin & Ste Maure. :cool:

20. jnicolso1 macrumors member

I have to agree Red Leicester is great, has any one had Gamel Ost not sure if thats correct its Norwegian for "Old Cheese" reputed to be nastiest cheese in the world. :eek:

21. jnicolso1 macrumors member

The Australian and New Zealand governments have banned the sale of non-pastuerized cheeses at the behest of the big dairy groups so you can't great real cheese in australia. I think this is to ecourage the sale of plastic cheese, also I note that low fat cheese is becoming popular, but i think that just means you have no taste, as all low fat foods taste of nothing or something worse.

22. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Definitely not for the faint-hearted, no... Both my grandmother and mother appreciated gammelost and both the cheese' smell and texture are particularly nasty... ;)

23. devman macrumors 65816

devman

24. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Smart man!!!

25. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

Devman, totally off the topic, but I'd love to see a picture of your setup. Sounds sweet! :cool: