What's your favorite game in the Final Fantasy series?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Jun 8, 2006.

?

What is your favorite game in the Final Fantasy series?

1. Final Fantasy I

2.9%
  2. Final Fantasy II

1.4%
  3. Final Fantasy III

1.4%
  4. Final Fantasy IV (2 US)

4.3%
  5. Final Fantasy V

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Final Fantasy VI (3 US)

21.7%
  7. Final Fantasy VII

46.4%
  8. Final Fantasy VIII

2.9%
  9. Final Fantasy IX

8.7%
  10. Final Fantasy X

8.7%
  11. Final Fantasy XI (Online)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Final Fantasy XII

1.4%
  1. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Place your votes! Mine goes to FF6 (FF3 US).

Note that I am only including games from the main series in this poll, that means the following have been omitted:

• Final Fantasy Adventures Series (Gameboy, these were Seiken Densetsu [Mana series] games)
    • Final Fantasy Legend Series (Gameboy, these were SaGa series games)
    • Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES)
    • Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle Series
    • Final Fantasy Tactics
    • Final Fantasy X-2

Here is a breakdown of what system each game was first released on:

• NES - FF1, FF2, FF3
    • SNES - FF4 (FF2-US), FF5, FF6 (FF3-US)
    • PS1 - FF7, FF8, FF9
    • PS2 - FF10, FF11, FF12

EDIT: When you vote please post which FF game was the first you played! I think it would be interesting to see how that corresponds with the vites! :)

2. macrumors regular

DevilDog

I remember playing IX back in the day with my friend... It was co-op and really good. I wish we had finished it though... never made it past disk 1/4.

First one I saw played was one from the PS 1 Where you flew around on some jet thing... probably 7 from the new movie. And then I saw someone play tactics. And then I played IX.

3. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I voted for VII, just because I bonded with the characters so much... but actually, I am very interested in playing this new GBA version of VI/3 (that is the one that just came out with new 3D / isometric graphics on the GBA, right?).

EDIT: Oh, wait, no, that's IV, isn't it. Well. In any event I think I'm still voting for VII.

4. thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yeah, I think I still have IX somewhere and never did get to finish it.

Another good poll on this subject would be which is the First FF game you played. :)

5. macrumors 68000

cycocelica

6. thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Actually that is FF3j (Final Fantasy 3, Japan). That was never released anywhere else and was an NES game.

The number is just confusing, but the remake of the "real" FF3 is in full 3D and will be on the DS, not GBA.

7. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, thank you... so when I get a DS Lite, finally, to play New SMB... ;) I can also get FF3. And this is the third main-series Japanese game, and not the one that originally ran as FF3 here, right? I can roll with that. :) Why not? The DS Lite matches my iBook! :D

8. thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Right. It sure can be confusing to try to explain! heh.

Funny the USA titles go: 1,2,3 ... 7,8,9,10,11,12! It looks like we missed 4,5,6 but we actually missed 2,3,5 :p Such a nice bit of confusion they caused.

9. macrumors Core

Dagless

10. macrumors member

FFIX, simply because it was just so damn well translated. I fell for the setting immediately, as well as the characters themselves. The music was stellar, and the art was amazing.

It's kind of funny, I remember back in the day when FFVII was still new. Many older Square fans hated the game, while the newer, younger fans adored it. Now that those young'uns have grown up, it's become the clear cut favorite. ;)

FFVI comes in a very close second. If you were not touched by the Opera scene, you don't have a soul.

11. macrumors 6502a

Verto

Final Fantasy VI (USIII) was the best EVAR!!!

12. macrumors 6502a

fistful

I've only played the post playstaion ff's, out of the lot I'd say my favorite is IX.

I think XII will change this as the main direction of the game was lead by the creator of my favorite square game: Vagrant Story.

13. macrumors 68020

srobert

My vote went for FFVI. Best character development of all FF to my humble opinion. Musical score is… Grandiose!. (Aria di Mezzo Carattere anyone?) Only video game that put a tear at the corner of my eye. (When Celes attemts suicide when she think she's the only one left alive in the ruined world… Yeah… I couldn't save Cid on my first try). My favorite characters are in FFVI (Cyan, Edgard and Setzer). I don't usually like the cool young hero/anti-hero type à-la Cloud.

Edit: First Final Fantasy I played was FFI.

14. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Yup, it is my favorite game of all time, followed very closely by chrono trigger. Those 2 games are the height of squaresoft game and story design.

FF VI would make an awesome movie, though it would probably have to be a trilogy, it would be epic if done correctly.

15. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Though I've played all the US releases (except FFXI), I really enjoyed FFX the most as an in-depth story/world/game. Except Chobo-baloon racing thing for the main char's ultimate sword. That ****ing thing KILLED me. I just could never quite get it.

16. macrumors Core

Dagless

Is it just me or am I seeing more FF6 and 10 pro-comments than the poll winner FF7?

17. Moderator emeritus

yellow

18. macrumors 6502a

fistful

Gahh! :mad: That cost me a controller. I don't think I have gotten that mad at a video game since I was around 6.

I did beat it eventually...

19. macrumors 6502a

What, no FFX-2, FFCC, FF Adventures, FFMQ, or FFT? LOL

BTW, FFVI really IS the best. VII is good. IV is good. IX is good. But nothing beats the final FF on SNES.

20. thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

You didn't actually read the Post that went with the Poll, did you? :p

21. macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I know, I was just curious why they were omitted. I wasn't very clear on that.

22. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

FF IX for me. The only FF I completed and I've played them all. That one had some magic over me - all the others I got bored with.

None of them beat ChronoTrigger though :p

23. thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Oh, well the reason is simple. Besides X-2, all the other games are, generally speaking, not FF games. They are instead FF "Branded" games. MQ might be an exception, bit it too was a much too large departure (imo).

So in summary, because I wanted to list only games in the actual FF series, not spinoffs or new games that just got branded with "FF" to increase sales. ;) I mean.... gosh, I'd have had to include FF7 Snowboarding, Ergheiz, etc etc! :D

24. macrumors P6

~Shard~

FFVII - there is no other. One of the greatest games ever made. :cool:

Played FFI when it first came out, liked it a lot, played IV, didn't like it as much, then played VII Wow. VIII sucked compared to VII, IX got back to its roots a bit more and I liked it for that, X was bland and I have never played another FF since.

If a completely remastered (and finished) version of FFVII was released for PS3 I would buy a PS3 just for that one game. :cool: Well okay maybe that and MGS4.

25. macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Out of every game I've ever played the FF series games were the ones that really captured me, and took me away

better than (some) books even...

I stopped at 9, got an Xbox, not knowing that that purchase would end my FF experience cold....:mad:

Stupid Xbox...

I'm gonna trade it for a PS2, and get back to the FF saga...I've got some catching up to do...